Rafa's god-like grafters v Antonio's turgid turds

Dr Gloom

Hayden isn't up to much. A replacement for him would be very welcome. Diame will probably start for another season, which I'd be happy with. 

Yedlin can't cross and his positioning is questionable, but he makes up for it with simply ludicrous pace. Keep him until that starts to go, we need it. Doesn't have to be a starter, but he's a good option to have on the books.

I'd dispense with everyone we have out on loan, sign Dubravka, attempt to sign Kenedy, allow Haidara and Gamez's contracts to run out, sell one of Darlow and Elliott, shoot Joselu in the centre circle at SJP, and then start recruiting from there. 

15 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Was under the impression that Diame became 'mint' when his position was changed. You're talking as if he's just been in a purple patch though...? What if he's just a better player further back?

I think it's a little bit of both. Absolutely he's more capable in the deeper role as a more combative central midfielder, but I do think there'll be a regression.

15 hours ago, David Kelly said:

That is a possible concern but I wouldn't be putting it at the top of the list.  For me you keep him, Shelvey and Merino and replace Hayden (who I think is great person to have at the club, but unfortunately I don't think he's progressing).  I don't think there's any real reason why we should expect him to fall away so quickly that it becomes a problem.  He might not keep hitting the heights he has been since Christmas but I don't see his performances dropping off a cliff as long as he plays where he has been.

Fine with keeping him at the club, but I'd prefer to rely upon a better player in that pivotal role. If Merino becomes that player, brilliant, but if he doesn't I think we need to sign someone. Agree about Hayden for what it's worth.

I'd send Hayden out on loan, next year. Think there's a decent utility player in him but he probably needs another season of game time. Send him to Cardiff or something, I don't care if they have a say in the matter. Just force them to play him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think it's a little bit of both. Absolutely he's more capable in the deeper role as a more combative central midfielder, but I do think there'll be a regression.

Fine with keeping him at the club, but I'd prefer to rely upon a better player in that pivotal role. If Merino becomes that player, brilliant, but if he doesn't I think we need to sign someone. Agree about Hayden for what it's worth.

I kind of agree but I think our money needs to spent on a 9, 10 & 11 as a priority so I'm happy to rely on what we have plus a replacement for Hayden for now.

diame has been an absolute beast since the turn of the year. his contributions to our turnaround in form just as important as the likes of lascelles, shelvey and dummet. no need to consider upgrading unless he has a spectacular drop off in form, and even then there is merino to come in. if we do have north of £50m, get it spent on a 9, a 10 plus kenedy and dubravka

The thing I'm not sure about when we're discussing signings is

What does Rafa want from his first choice striker? What kind of player is he, who is "that kind" of player even if they're not realistic?

I really don't know, we've had Gayle, Joselu and Mitro over the last two years but there isn't really a common thread between the three so much, particularly Gayle and Joselu as the two rafa actually signed.

Slimani as well I guess which implies a target man but he played so little that Ive no idea how we'd play if he had that player there, he preferred Gayle to him for the most part in the second half of the season anyway.

ideally we'd get someone who combines the best attributes of all of those players - someone with a bit of strength who can offer a target with his back to goal, as well as using pace to play on the shoulder to get in behind. think drogba - he's the model for the modern lone striker. they don't grow on trees though and they don't come cheap. 

37 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The thing I'm not sure about when we're discussing signings is

What does Rafa want from his first choice striker? What kind of player is he, who is "that kind" of player even if they're not realistic?

I really don't know, we've had Gayle, Joselu and Mitro over the last two years but there isn't really a common thread between the three so much, particularly Gayle and Joselu as the two rafa actually signed.

Slimani as well I guess which implies a target man but he played so little that Ive no idea how we'd play if he had that player there, he preferred Gayle to him for the most part in the second half of the season anyway.

Plus the players we've been linked with during Benitez' spell in charge; Jorgensen, Bas Dost, etc.

Basically I think he wants a Demba Ba, type of player. There's loads of them knocking about on the cheap, right?

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What has he been doing well at Fulham then?

Putting himself about a bit, getting onto crosses from the excellent Sessegnon, bullying Championship centre backs.

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Putting himself about a bit, getting onto crosses from the excellent Sessegnon, bullying Championship centre backs.

And scoring goals.:)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

His off the ball work has been amazing

You have to be watching his movement off screen though, that's where the magic happens.