Jamaal Lascelles

Anorthernsoul

He's had a great season and he's been the rock that's driven the team forward, hopefully we can keep a hold of him as there will be the obvious interest in him. Interesting to see if Southgate even considers him for the World Cup squad, he definitely deserves a spot on merit.

• Like 1

I don’t think starting for England in the first match of the WC would faze him.

The sort of player we could build a defence around.

Well him and the new model Dummet.

Aye you just have to look at the results in the games he missed and compare to the games he played to see his importance. I’m fairly sure he was injured in both the matches we lost by a 3 goal margin (our biggest deficit). 

I agree with ewerk in that he wouldn’t be fazed starting for England, he had a bit of a rough start to his NUFC career with many (myself included) being unconvinced by him early on but it didn’t bother him and he actually grew when given the pressure of captaincy. 

The dream is the club gets taken over by a group with some ambition, we keep Rafa and then build around Lascelles. I think he’ll be fairly in demand though as he’s a very competent, intelligent, and young English centre half which is very rare. For me he’s better than the likes of Maguire, Keane, and co but it’s good for us if they keep getting more attention (although I’m not sure how much longer that will continue). 

22 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

He's the best defender we have had in ages, properly since J.Woodgate.

I wouldn't say he's better than Colo in his prime here. He's obviously come on leaps and bounds and is a class captain but is it possible that Rafas system helps flatter him slightly? It'd actually be intriguing to see how well he can do if dropped into another side outside of our system which is why Southgate should have been trying him in friendlies. To simply overlook him is pathetic.

25 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I wouldn't say he's better than Colo in his prime here. He's obviously come on leaps and bounds and is a class captain but is it possible that Rafas system helps flatter him slightly? It'd actually be intriguing to see how well he can do if dropped into another side outside of our system which is why Southgate should have been trying him in friendlies. To simply overlook him is pathetic.

That's a fair enough call about Colo at his best. Woodgate comparisons on hold for the time being.

41 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Thought he looked a little shaky at first but he’s done well lately, lejeune that is 

Took a while to get rolling after coming back from his injury, since he did though we've looked more solid than we did with Clarke in there.

Lascelles organises superbly but he's been a good influence the other way in playing out from the back more calmly.

16 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye you just have to look at the results in the games he missed and compare to the games he played to see his importance. I’m fairly sure he was injured in both the matches we lost by a 3 goal margin (our biggest deficit). 

I agree with ewerk in that he wouldn’t be fazed starting for England, he had a bit of a rough start to his NUFC career with many (myself included) being unconvinced by him early on but it didn’t bother him and he actually grew when given the pressure of captaincy. 

The dream is the club gets taken over by a group with some ambition, we keep Rafa and then build around Lascelles. I think he’ll be fairly in demand though as he’s a very competent, intelligent, and young English centre half which is very rare. For me he’s better than the likes of Maguire, Keane, and co but it’s good for us if they keep getting more attention (although I’m not sure how much longer that will continue). 

Whether he's better than the likes of Keane, Maguire and Mawson I don't know as I've not paid a great deal of attention to them.  But the fact that they are around and have been more highly rated in some circles is good for us in hoping he stays, because it means he's not necessarily the standout choice for other teams looking for a new centreback.

3 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I expected Clark would be better suited to make the step up after last season. He seemed to go the other way

i think rafa did too - weren't lejeune and clark his preferred two for the first few games? but big jamaal came in and made himself undroppable

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think rafa did too - weren't lejeune and clark his preferred two for the first few games? but big jamaal came in and made himself undroppable

Just the first game I think. I think Lascelles has played every league game since when he's been available.

Clark and Lejeune did not look pretty as a pairing when Lascelles was out like. Makes you wonder if we could do with some cover. Perhaps Clarko is simply a good Championship player but not cut out for this level? He did okay alongside Lascelles like - even in that Palace game (the last time he played I think) he stopped a number of certain goals.

We’re alright at centre half. Even Mbemba looks like he could be a decent player at this level, though rafa doesn’t seem to fancy him for whatever reason. And Dummet can always fill in there if we’re short.

We look a little more ropey at full back. Manquillo was a mistake, file under Joselu and get rid. Yedlin has his flaws, like delivery and positioning, but his pace hides them. I’d still rather he wasn’t automatic first choice. Luke shaw or Ryan Bertrand would be good.