Touching Distance

rob032

Finished reading this book yesterday and I fully recommend it. I was only 5 when Keegan took the manager's job at NUFC so although I'm aware of what happened I couldn't really follow it like I would now. Reading the book I felt like I was reliving it all. Towards the end I found myself thinking we were going to hold out and bring the title home!

It's sad as well. How often does a club get the perfect mix of a good manager, a positive chairman, and a big pot of money? We had it for 5 years in the 90s and in the end we just fell short. At the end of the book there are interviews with players and a lot of them say they think about it every single day.

Great read, you'll love it.

6 hours ago, rob032 said:

Finished reading this book yesterday and I fully recommend it. I was only 5 when Keegan took the manager's job at NUFC so although I'm aware of what happened I couldn't really follow it like I would now. Reading the book I felt like I was reliving it all. Towards the end I found myself thinking we were going to hold out and bring the title home!

It's sad as well. How often does a club get the perfect mix of a good manager, a positive chairman, and a big pot of money? We had it for 5 years in the 90s and in the end we just fell short. At the end of the book there are interviews with players and a lot of them say they think about it every single day.

Great read, you'll love it.

Think most on here have read it and I agree it's a great read. I held off reading it as I didn't want to re live it but the book was much more than that. 

10 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I know the story only too well, don't need to read about it again.

Doesn’t matter. It’s still well worth reading.

Took Touching Distance and Tunnel of Love with me on holiday, burned through them in double quick time. Great reads.

Tunnel of Love is canny but it's spread a bit thin for my liking, what with it covering a decade. What's there is excellent but I'd have liked to see it dive deeper on certain things, even if Robson's autobiography covered things like his sacking etc. The one on the Ashley years could be 700 pages long at this rate.