Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice

Andrew

I have a love/hate relationship with Souls, they're cool as shit but far too stressful for me to actually play very much. Guess we'll see what this' deal is.

• 9 months later...

Coming out on Friday, previews that I've seen are promising and look fun.

Started up a quick Dark Souls run last night to get in the groove :D Looking forward to this one!

• 1 month later...

What everyone tells you about combat in this game is wrong. For the mini-bosses, you simply jump around like a tit until their animation finishes, hit them 2 times, jump around some more and then repeat until you get the deathblow. Very intricately designed. Dark Souls it is not.

Not sure it's for me either tbh. Seems like it can't decide if it wants to be a boss rush game or a quasi-open world stealth title. You're encouraged to sneak around areas, landing instant kills but that leaves you woefully underprepared for when the combat actually matters. And in those moments, it feels more like Metal Gear Rising than Dark Souls/Bloodborne considering you're basically waiting for the brief moment where the animations are about to cycle and rushing in with some attacks. Having said that, other than Dark Souls 1, these games have never done much for me so maybe I'm not the best guide. 

The thing about DS compared to this is the element of choice in your approach, being able to spec a character and change gear means you can adapt to your situation, this seems to want you to, quite rigidly, fit into its expectations of how you have to approach stuff and I cannot be bothered with that shit unless that approach is one I naturally tend to anyway.

I'm playing the shit out of Assassins Creed Odyssey now instead and it is a lot of fun.