GDPR

adios

Has anyone changed their behaviour/bothered with reading through/acting on the new Privacy Policies we've presumably all been bombarded with via email/popups over the last few weeks?

Most companies seem to have complied to an extent and as things currently stand I imagine that nothing has really changed.  Sites vary from allowing you to easily browse and delete your data, others telling you to like it or fuck off and at least one site asking you to pay for the privilege.  

• Facebook have purposefully made it very difficult to do much other than just nuke your account.
  • Google are the only major ones I've seen who have really complied with the spirit of the law, allowing you to just delete everything they have on you, search through it and delete what you want. Honestly, I think this is the smartest option as it builds trust and who the fuck can be bothered to do anything about it anyway?  There's too much valuable stuff there to just delete everything and going through the (scary) reams of data they have on you is painful.
  • The Chicago Tribune has just blocked all EU traffic.
  • The Washington Post has gone so far as to monetise it, that takes balls:

fTUhZfm.png

Personally, Facebook's attitude was the last straw and I've deleted my account, but it's no loss as I never use it and only end up hating people that I like if I happen to browse the home page.  I've stopped using a few sites that make it difficult, like The Washington Post (not a great loss either).  I'm going to take the time to consider everything Google has on me and try to be more selective with what they are allowed to use.

I've also installed Ghostery (a tracker blocker) and am considering adding other options, but I imagine I'm very much the exception to the rule.

15 minutes ago, adios said:

Most companies seem to have complied to an extent

We've spent a fortune and a lot of time making sure we're compliant its been a total pain in the arse.

A..erm...friend of mine gets that privacy popup thing whenever in incognito mode on Google when searching for...gifts for the wife. <_<  

Just now, Andrew said:

We've spent a fortune and a lot of time making sure we're compliant its been a total pain in the arse.

If it worked it'd be well worth it (for the users) but I suspect feck all will happen.

I'm not involved on the business side at all so I'd love to hear some details of the stuff that's had to change.

Just now, adios said:

If it worked it'd be well worth it (for the users) but I suspect feck all will happen.

I'm not involved on the business side at all so I'd love to hear some details of the stuff that's had to change.

I couldn't go into it tbh but I'm a developer for a financial company, we handle just...shit loads of data for obvious reasons.

It absoultely ate up our department resources for months.

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

I've noticed a privacy pop up when I'm browsing certain sites in incognito mode on chrome if that counts...... :unsure:

I'm getting more spam email than ever incidentally. 

Looking for surprise presents for your lass, obvs. ;)

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I couldn't go into it tbh but I'm a developer for a financial company, we handle just...shit loads of data for obvious reasons.

It absoultely ate up our department resources for months.

Do you think it'll have any impact (positive or negative) assuming the vast majority people just click "accept" on whatever the site asks them to?

I suppose I'm asking if the back-end stuff is of much benefit on its own regardless of nothing much changing on the front-end.

3 minutes ago, adios said:

Do you think it'll have any impact (positive or negative) assuming the vast majority people just click "accept" on whatever the site asks them to?

I suppose I'm asking if the back-end stuff is of much benefit on its own regardless of nothing much changing on the front-end.

Its not for my money, its probably worked out some of our legacy kinks as we've reworked stuff but no.

Where it sees the most change is in behaviour and process that people actually execute, theres much more care taken and with it being fresh in everyones mind "lets make sure we're compliant" is considered much more often on other projects so far.

• Like 1

It's been a pain in the backside at our place. I tend to think it'll be a bit like the Cookies thing where there's a big deal made out of it then it ends up making zero difference.

13 hours ago, adios said:

Has anyone changed their behaviour/bothered with reading through/acting on the new Privacy Policies we've presumably all been bombarded with via email/popups over the last few weeks?

Most companies seem to have complied to an extent and as things currently stand I imagine that nothing has really changed.  Sites vary from allowing you to easily browse and delete your data, others telling you to like it or fuck off and at least one site asking you to pay for the privilege.  

• Facebook have purposefully made it very difficult to do much other than just nuke your account.
  • Google are the only major ones I've seen who have really complied with the spirit of the law, allowing you to just delete everything they have on you, search through it and delete what you want. Honestly, I think this is the smartest option as it builds trust and who the fuck can be bothered to do anything about it anyway?  There's too much valuable stuff there to just delete everything and going through the (scary) reams of data they have on you is painful.
  • The Chicago Tribune has just blocked all EU traffic.
  • The Washington Post has gone so far as to monetise it, that takes balls:

fTUhZfm.png

Personally, Facebook's attitude was the last straw and I've deleted my account, but it's no loss as I never use it and only end up hating people that I like if I happen to browse the home page.  I've stopped using a few sites that make it difficult, like The Washington Post (not a great loss either).  I'm going to take the time to consider everything Google has on me and try to be more selective with what they are allowed to use.

I've also installed Ghostery (a tracker blocker) and am considering adding other options, but I imagine I'm very much the exception to the rule.

:lol: