booze

Dr Gloom

i'm not an alcoholic or owt, i don't think. i enjoy a civilised glass of wine with the wife and am happy to keep it to a drink or two in certain situations, or to not drink at all several days a week. 

but i don't know when to quit when i'm out in the pub and get the bit between my teeth, which has become a cause for concern. i have been having memory blackouts after binge drinking lately, which isn't great for anxiety, particularly when out with people from work, and tend to do or say things i regret. tbh, if i lived in the states i'd probably already be in AA and therapy for addiction. 

anyone ever stopped for good? 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I try to keep it down to just drinking at the weekend but have the odd night during the week. Was off it for about a month towards the end of the wife's pregnancy and was surprised how little I missed it. Still not giving it up though.

I’m probably the definition of a binge drinker, can go weeks without touching it then go mad when I have a night out. I’m a delightful drunk though so sack packing in

It’s the memory blackouts which make me uneasy. I couldn’t handle my drink so well in my 20s so didn’t drink to the extent I have lately. It was always in the back of my mind that I might spew up the next day.

These days I can drink all night long, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. I’m frequently the last person out at the pub, trying to get everyone to go on to a late bar when I’m out with people from work along with colleagues who are about ten or more years younger than me. I’m in danger of turning into David Brent.

I want to stop getting into the state where I can’t remember anything that happened the night before but I’m not sure I’ll ever learn when to call it quits in that kind of night out unless I give up altogether, which also depresses me. 

The wife keeps telling me to act my age but I suspect I’m having some kind of midlife crisis. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s rhe memory blackouts which make me uneasy. I couldn’t handle my drink so well in my 20s so didn’t drink to the extent I have lately. It was always in the back of my mind that I might spew up the next day.

These days I can drink all night long, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. I’m frequently the last person out at the pub, trying to get everyone to go on to a late bar when I’m out with people from work along with colleagues who are about ten or more years younger than me. I’m in danger of turning into David Brent.

I want to stop getting into the state where I can’t remember anything that happened the night before but I’m not sure I’ll ever learn when to call it quits in that kind of night out unless I give up altogether, which also depresses me. 

The wife keeps telling me to act my age but I suspect I’m having some kind of midlife crisis. 

How often does this happen?

I'm the opposite of that. The moment I feel I may be heading towards the point of having had too much I'm straight home. I really don't enjoy being totally pissed.

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

How often does this happen?

about a half dozen times over the past six months - the memory blackouts that is.

Just now, Howmanheyman said:

Now and then, but know it isn't happening. I more plan to cut down which I do every now and then.

:lol: I'm laughing because that's me basically

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

about a half dozen times over the past six months - the memory blackouts that is.

Well that’s probably too much.

go out less, or do go out and don’t drink at all sometimes, drive so you have to be sober or something if it’s a willpower thing 

I've started to think that I should reign myself back - not a binge drinker but I'm slightly concerned that I may have moved into the territory of being a functional alcoholic as I'll drink most nights. The thing is, I don't tend to have difficulty 'not' drinking, but if it's there I'll choose it over other things. The solution presumably is to leverage my laziness against the issue and only drink alcohol if I've made myself go on the 10 minute walk to go and get it.

I put it down to a weak response to general mental health issues. Can totally see how alcohol dependency happens tbh.

That said, I haven't been anything approaching 'drunk' in quite some time. Years probably.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Sounds like your wife nailed it. You don't want to be the bloke that nobody wants to be left in the pub with FFS.

i'm in danger of turning into a proper sad bastard, if i'm not one already like. 

its funny, i was never that bothered about drinking to this extent when i was younger. 

the one thing that worries me is that booze is masking a spectacularly dull personality, but then i'm probably nowhere near as fun or interesting when i'm pissed as i think i am at the time. 

I once had too much and went to some shite titty club and had a private dance where gropes were had and other such grubby goings on when I was mortal. I panicked like fuck and asked for help on a nufc forum.

Oh, shit, that was someone else, wasn't it, MF? ;)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm in danger of turning into a proper sad bastard, if i'm not one already like. 

its funny, i was never that bothered about drinking to this extent when i was younger. 

the one thing that worries me is that booze is masking a spectacularly dull personality, but then i'm probably nowhere near as fun or interesting when i'm pissed as i think i am at the time. 

That's because you were always doobied up iirc.