Our defence is a joke

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

They aren't great, but the ridicule is an urban myth, spread by that twazzock Lawrenson and co.

89200[/snapback]

I think the problem is when Titus or Boumsong mess up, it's something that's really comical.

We're also famous for our bad defending, so we're easy targets.

They aren't great, but the ridicule is an urban myth, spread by that twazzock Lawrenson and co.

89200[/snapback]

I think the problem is when Titus or Boumsong mess up, it's something that's really comical.

We're also famous for our bad defending, so we're easy targets.

89205[/snapback]

Both very true - our defence has always been considered a joke, and at times it's easy to see why, but defensively Boro are all over the place - it's just they don't screw up so comically as Titus and Boum have done on many occasions. Also we've got a good goalkeeper.

The thing is, even when the team is defending bad as a unit most goals are down to ridiculous individual errors. Defenders of other teams also make loads of individual errors, but they are rarely as "funny" as the lapses of Titus & Co.

Ever since Keegan the press and everyone in football just universally proclaims that we have a shite defence and attack alot, even when neither may be the case!

As people have said our mistakes are often comical ones, but also because of our reputation they are shown more and thus the reputation grows even more.

And did anyone notice against Portsmouth that even with just one training session, Roeder seemed to have managed to get the defence to stay in position more and actually be in the right place for most situations. A couple of times i saw Pompey looking to break and we had a line of defenders all ready and in position!!!

Its another example of lazy journalism: "I can't be arsed to drive all the way from London up the A1 to Newcastle, I'll just comment on how shit the defence is"

I've been saying for years that these journalists are mostly idiots, with only a handful having a clue what they are talking about. The greatest myth is the one that says the defence when Keegan was manager was shite.

The defence isn't great and as people have said, a lot of it is down to individual errors. I hope the errors will reduce with better organisation now that shithead has gone.

The Middlesboro comparision is a good one, but comparisons to other clubs aren't interesting to 'journalists' because they don't really give a toss whether their articles are true or not.

Today I heard one of the ignorant twáts on Sky claiming that all supporters from the North East think their manager is great if their club gets 3 wins, but want the manager sacked after 3 defeats. What kind of bollocks is that, and he's spouting it on Sky TV?