Historic moment

peasepud

And we can say we were there, its now dawning on me that in 50 years time Im going to be sitting with great grandkids telling them how that Shearer bloke they read about was the greatest, how he beat the previous legends record and more importantly how I was there when he did. Talking glassy eyed about how we sang his name for the rest of the game etc etc. I know we celebrated it but thanks to the predicament we were in I dont think we quite realise the monumental moment it was.

Then again, maybe it'll be short lived, maybe we'll be talking about how he was soon surpassed by the legend Shola :doubleact:

Oh and did anyone see his missus? when we started the "Stand up if you love Shearer" there was this lone figure stood there all proud and beaming in the Directors box :o

And we can say we were there, its now dawning on me that in 50 years time Im going to be sitting with great grandkids telling them how that Shearer bloke they read about was the greatest, how he beat the previous legends record and more importantly how I was there when he did. Talking glassy eyed about how we sang his name for the rest of the game etc etc. I know we celebrated it but thanks to the predicament we were in I dont think we quite realise the monumental moment it was.

Then again, maybe it'll be short lived, maybe we'll be talking about how he was soon surpassed by the legend Shola  :o

Oh and did anyone see his missus? when we started the "Stand up if you love Shearer" there was this lone figure stood there all proud and beaming in the Directors box  :suicide:

89229[/snapback]

gawd, do you have to? Wheres me tissues?....again :doubleact::blush:

Wish i'd been there!! :jihad:

Think i'll have to go and have a swear in the swear thread!

One of the lads was getting a pint in when Zoggy scored. It brought about the realisation of how shit you'd feel if you were there, but missed Shearers goal.

"Dad, did you see Geordie legend Alan Shearer break the 200 goal mark and with it a record that had stood for 40 odd years?"

"No son, I'd had a couple and had to go for a piss! :doubleact: "

One of the lads was getting a pint in when Zoggy scored.  It brought about the realisation of how shit you'd feel if you were there, but missed Shearers goal.

"Dad, did you see Geordie legend Alan Shearer break the 200 goal mark and with it a record that had stood for 40 odd years?"

"No son, I'd had a couple and had to go for a piss! :o "

89234[/snapback]

Now that would be even worse than not being there at all :doubleact:

My mate missed Zoggys goal as well by going for a piss. When he heard the cheer he thought it was shearers and came run :doubleact: ning out. He dribbled as well dirty bastard :o

No way was I going to miss any of that game just in case.

What a different game it was! Crowd, players, everything from start to end. Even Babayaro had a decent game!

Speaking of the ref, was I seeing things or did he make some odd gesture by going down on one knee to wave his arms and say "no" to another penalty claim?

It was awesome to be there like. The reaction from the crowd was immense, and it was quality to see the ref shake his hand as well. :doubleact:

89302[/snapback]

I'd have telt the ref to sod off. All them offsides given and no pens to make up for it.

Speaking of the ref, was I seeing things or did he make some odd gesture by going down on one knee to wave his arms and say "no" to another penalty claim?

89303[/snapback]

He seemed to be an extra from Grease at one stage....go go goooo Greased Lightning go gogogogogogoooo.

And Im sure the linesman in front of me (East stand side) was Johnny Ball

johnnyball140.jpg

89303[/snapback]

That does ring a bell! I suppose when you're turning down penalties all match you have to at least keep it interesting and have some variety in your gestures!

Oh and did anyone see his missus? when we started the "Stand up if you love Shearer" there was this lone figure stood there all proud and beaming in the Directors box  :doubleact:

89229[/snapback]

is that who he was waving to at the end of the game??

wave5dw.jpg

89303[/snapback]

:o He's very flamboyant is Mark Halsey.

Not as bad for the ref we had against Mallorca (I think) at SJP a few years ago, who did jazz hands to say no penna. :doubleact: Strange chap.

89303[/snapback]

:o He's very flamboyant is Mark Halsey.

Not as bad for the ref we had against Mallorca (I think) at SJP a few years ago, who did jazz hands to say no penna. :doubleact: Strange chap.

89533[/snapback]

Flamboyant?! Half the time he looked like he was flagging an aircraft in to land.