Roeder as permanent manager...

Howaythelads

What would Roeder have to do to convince you that he should be offered the job on a permanent basis?

Here's what I'd look for...it's not just results, although obviously that's important, we need to win matches.

1. Performances that show team spirit and some idea of a game plan.

2. The players looking as though they want to play for the club.

3. Man management skills to deal with potential problems, such as Luque not staying to support his colleagues yesterday.

4. The ability to make a positive change if things are going wrong, even if it doesn't end up with a win. To not panic if things are going wrong ( Fulham, for example )

5. Playing people to their strengths, in their correct roles.

6. Showing good motivational skills.

On another forum it's been mentioned a few times that Souness would be a legend should we win the FA Cup this season. I disagree very strongly with that idea because it's the overall performance in the league that counts, and that's been dire since he walked through the door. Now that the huge black cloud caused by Souness has been lifted we might go on to win the FA Cup under Roeder. We have a draw against a team I think we can beat and once in the last 8, anything can happen. Should Roeder be offered the job on a permanent basis if we win the Cup, even if the league performances between now and May show he perhaps might not have what it takes, that he falls well short of some of the good management practices I mention above?

Roeder has a chance. I was impressed with him when he was here as a player, he always looked a good leader on the pitch and I think he cares and understands the club. I do have some reservations, I think the next few months should be very interesting. If he can make something of the shit he's been left by the wanker Souness, he'll be doing very well imo.

Edited by Howaythelads

He's ruled himself out though, hasn't he?  He's said he's only interested in the job in the short term.

89241[/snapback]

I dont think he can handle the pressure full time. By all accounts an excellent coach and I like having someone with that reputation being in charge of the academy

He's ruled himself out though, hasn't he?  He's said he's only interested in the job in the short term.

89241[/snapback]

thus immediately taking the pressure off himself....very clever. Now, if he does well, he can put himself quite rightly in the running but if it goes pear shaped...he can stand down having done his best without making an arse of himself!

89241[/snapback]

I think he plays a da mind games like-a da cat and da mouse no? :doubleact:

89249[/snapback]

Nah, I reckon he's genuinely not interested actually. I think he's got a relatively easy life as academy manager and is enjoying it. I was pleased for him yesterday though as he looked like he really enjoyed the day, but I don't think he wants the job long term.

89241[/snapback]

thus immediately taking the pressure off himself....very clever. Now, if he does well, he can put himself quite rightly in the running but if it goes pear shaped...he can stand down having done his best without making an arse of himself!

89250[/snapback]

Conspiracy theory-tastic! :doubleact:

Maybe Shearer secretly wants the job too and is trying to out-mind-game Roeder. :o

89241[/snapback]

89250[/snapback]

Conspiracy theory-tastic! :doubleact:

Maybe Shearer secretly wants the job too and is trying to out-mind-game Roeder. :jihad:

89253[/snapback]

Now your're going too far :o:suicide:

I am not sure if someone should get judged by one game, especially considering the circumstances. Roeder had an easy job yesterday. The problems under the tosser were obvious and could get adressed easily - like telling Nobby to stay wide. Other factors were that Portsmouth aren't the world greatest team and that the crowd seemed to be really upbeat now that the tosser has gone.

But I don't want to say that Roeder would be a bad idea (especially as I made the suggestion to put him in charge for several months). But I do think he will still have more difficult games where he has to prove himself, the next is the Villa away tie. And last but not least he has ruled himself out. And maybe it's not too bad to have a capable person in charge of the academy. That might save Newcastle a lot of money in future. Even his critics at West Ham said that he is an excellent youth coach.

Ita about levels - if Roeder did well and satisfied HTL's list I'd see him being an Allardyce/Robson/O'Leary at a push type level - ie get us 6/5/4 in the league which may be all we can do or even expect realistically. THe reason I want Hitzfeld or similar (not sure who) is that I'd then expect to challenge higher.

I know in the past I've said going for Hitzfeld was pointless and I stand by the same argument on the Man U/Madrid jobs but I'm now willing to be hopeful.

Going back to Roeder he seems reluctant but I would ask how would he go about getting this Pro Licence thing - is it straightforward does anybody know?

Going back to Roeder he seems reluctant but I would ask how would he go about getting this Pro Licence thing - is it straightforward does anybody know?

89261[/snapback]

I think they involve special courses lasting for something like two years. Part of it are classes in summer and then distance lectures and placements. I might be wrong, but I think there are special conditions to get granted exception if you have started to work on your Pro licence.

Ita about levels - if Roeder did well and satisfied HTL's list I'd see him being an Allardyce/Robson/O'Leary at a push type level - ie get us 6/5/4 in the league which may be all we can do or even expect realistically. The reason I want Hitzfeld or similar (not sure who) is that I'd then expect to challenge higher.

I agree with that. From all accounts, Roeder is an excellent youth team coach, so I'd leave him there and, if possible, bring in someone more proven and high-profile. I think Gemmill is right when he says that Roeder doesn't want the job on a permanent basis anyway, I think he's made that pretty clear and so has Fat Fred. Good luck to Roeder though, he's an improvement on Souness already and he comes across well.

Knee-jerk reactions \o/

Portsmouth are shite.  Lets see what happens next Saturday, eh?

89272[/snapback]

Where's the knee jerk reaction from anybody? I said weeks ago that I didn't think he should get the permanent job even if he became caretaker. It's not likely I'll change my mind, I'm ASKING people in the thread what their thoughts are.

Edited by Howaythelads

No Uefa Pro license, its a prerequisite for Premiership management, and I understand it takes nearly 12 months to get.

89386[/snapback]

Fair enough. Daft question then.

I was trying to find out the criteria people are looking for in a manager, nobody seems to know, instead just throwing names into the ring. Seems people still don't really know.

I also expect a bunch of posts touting Roeder for the job if we win the FA Cup and he becomes a 'legend'. Hence my reference to the FA Cup.

I think he'll do a decent job, certainly better than the retard who has pissed away £50m of the club's cash, but I'm hoping FS appoints a top class, proven manager. If that's not possible then he needs to look at someone young but who is showing potential to become a top manager, the only one I can think of is Pearce, maybe Paul Jewell. Early days for Pearce though.

Anybody is a gamble though.

Edited by Howaythelads

No Uefa Pro license, its a prerequisite for Premiership management, and I understand it takes nearly 12 months to get.

89386[/snapback]

Fair enough. Daft question then.

I was trying to find out the criteria people are looking for in a manager, nobody seems to know, instead just throwing names into the ring. Seems people still don't really know.

I also expect a bunch of posts touting Roeder for the job if we win the FA Cup and he becomes a 'legend'. Hence my reference to the FA Cup.

I think he'll do a decent job, certainly better than the retard who has pissed away £50m of the club's cash, but I'm hoping FS appoints a top class, proven manager. If that's not possible then he needs to look at someone young but who is showing potential to become a top manager, the only one I can think of is Pearce, maybe Paul Jewell. Early days for Pearce though.

Anybody is a gamble though.

89407[/snapback]

Ok, I misread your first post and admit I only was skipping through.

Here is what a new manager needs for me:

- he has to really want the job (and not just seeing it as a challenge because he failed at his last one)

- he has to have an idea about what he wants to achieve and how he is going to achieve it.

- he has to have ideas about the strengths of the squad and the weaknesses and adjust his gameplans and tactics as they fit

- he has to work on the player's fitness and minimize self-made injuries

- he has to have the right eye for players, either new signings or players coming from the own youth set-up

- he has to have good motivation skills as the confidence of players is one of the most important aspects in football.

- he has to be able to manage difficult characters, because bad persons can be great footballers.

- for game tactics itself: he has to want to dominate games and try to have a go at other teams, i.e. not playing to not loose games, but to play to win games.

There are probably more points my ideal manager has to fulfil, but these are the most important. There probably is no manager who fits every condition but he has to fulfil the majority and not (like the last one) nearly none.

I am not sure about Pearce yet, but admit he does a good job so far. But there are the likes of Hiddink and Hitzfeld who I think would be fantastic choices. Allardyce has a lot of positive aspects as well, so has Martin O'Neill. I just don't want Bruce because he is a Geordie or other uninspiring managers of the same calibre (like the one from Middlesbore)...

Ok, I misread your first post and admit I only was skipping through.

Here is what a new manager needs for me:

- he has to really want the job (and not just seeing it as a challenge because he failed at his last one)

- he has to have an idea about what he wants to achieve and how he is going to achieve it.

- he has to have ideas about the strengths of the squad and the weaknesses and adjust his gameplans and tactics as they fit

- he has to work on the player's fitness and minimize self-made injuries

- he has to have the right eye for players, either new signings or players coming from the own youth set-up

- he has to have good motivation skills as the confidence of players is one of the most important aspects in football.

- he has to be able to manage difficult characters, because bad persons can be great footballers.

- for game tactics itself: he has to want to dominate games and try to have a go at other teams, i.e. not playing to not loose games, but to play to win games.

There are probably more points my ideal manager has to fulfil, but these are the most important. There probably is no manager who fits every condition but he has to fulfil the majority and not (like the last one) nearly none.

I am not sure about Pearce yet, but admit he does a good job so far. But there are the likes of Hiddink and Hitzfeld who I think would be fantastic choices. Allardyce has a lot of positive aspects as well, so has Martin O'Neill. I just don't want Bruce because he is a Geordie or other uninspiring managers of the same calibre (like the one from Middlesbore)...

89434[/snapback]

WTF so to paraphrase you want someone with a plan! let's hope tha fat man is smart enough to think the same.

The only problem I see with Hitzfield is his age and being involved in a five or ten year plan for the club. Guus likewise but more for his habit of being enticed by a challenge (but him with Shearer for the future would be perfect.)

I really think Didier Deschamps would be a perfect choice, age wise, experience wise and knowledge of the English game wise.

I can remember a similar performance last season at home to WBA where we won 3-1...Souness' first home League game in charge.

If he can get us into the top 6 playing a similar style as we did yesterday then maybe...but I'm not convinced after just the one match.

89410[/snapback]

As I remember it, we nearly made a hash of that game because Souness completely ballsed his tactics and selection up.

Good post, Isegrim. I don't think Roeder would fulfill as many of those requirements as some of the other managers mentioned, and as you say, Souness definitely didn't.

I hope FS has a list such as the one you've come up with and that he sticks to it. It's certain he'll come under pressure ( from dimwits ) to offer Roeder the job permanently should we win the FA Cup, or even get to the final. It's a possibility. Our injured players are almost certain to return to fitness now that Souness has gone, their desire to play for the club is certain to increase and new injuries are certain to reduce. Which should tell a story of it's own, in relation to departed players.