Boycotts

trooper

First off I don't go to the match I never been to SJP since that arsehole bought the club. I'm just wondering how you'd feel if there was a call to boycott games. This would be in the form of blocking the entrances to SJP with banners potentially creating a peaceful picket line. Yes I understand it won't hurt Ashley financially buy its about making a stand (a statement) . The only way to step up the protests are to either take it into the ground or to not bother going in I think the latter is the better option any thoughts or ideas on this lads ?

DnI3khIXcAAlNqK.jpeg

Edited by trooper

pointless, nothing changes until he sells up. 

one thing that was striking on saturday was the total absence of atmosphere in the stadium. no big surprise - it's hard to muster much enthusiasm for a side as shit as ours, with ashley at the helm. but noise from the fans, rather than empty seats, would hopefully help motivate the players. ashley is even less likely to sell if we're relegated again. 

I actually think targeting his shops is a meaningful thing to do - at least he's forced to accept that on some level, his decisions are hurting him. The guys who are taking Sports Direct tweets of special offers and pointing out to people where they can get the same stuff for less - things like that I believe are useful.

Not sure about a picket line, feels too much to actively prevent fans from going to the ground, or shaming them for turning up, which is effectively what picketing is.

Ultimately though we've been round the houses on this a few times. Only option in any real sense is to push the club down the order of priorities in your life until Ashley finally goes. I mean, it's going to happen eventually - this won't just go on forever. It feels like it sometime, but it won't. We'll be owned by someone other than Ashley in 10 years time.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

pointless, nothing changes until he sells up. 

one thing that was striking on saturday was the total absence of atmosphere in the stadium. no big surprise - it's hard to muster much enthusiasm for a side as shit as ours, with ashley at the helm. but noise from the fans, rather than empty seats, would hopefully help motivate the players. ashley is even less likely to sell if we're relegated again. 

If we get relegated and stay down he might.

Direct action on his stores is the way ahead... a team of highly motivated deep cover stealth  Mags to enter his shitty  stores and drop stink bombs at 2pm every Saturday afternoon. Setting the sprinklers off is another belter. Applicants for this gig  must be willing to suffer the inevitable public order/criminal damage conviction. Buckets for donations to the fighting fund to pay any fines handed down by the courts to be strategically placed in the following premises:

Labour Club 

Rosies

Newcastle Arms

Tyneside Irish club

The clock 

Black garter

Goose

3 bulls 

Hotspur 

The Percy

Crows nest

Gotham

Forth

Raffs

Tilleys 

Bodega

Mile Castle 

Union Rooms

Operations to be carried out only after at least one drink in all these licencesd establishments :good:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Walked past Gotham Town quite recently and I was amazed it was still open. Not been in for about 15 years and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned let alone redecorated in that time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Walked past Gotham Town quite recently and I was amazed it was still open. Not been in for about 15 years and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned let alone redecorated in that time.

Can't think that I've ever been tempted...like @Howmanheyman I'm more of a Popworld man meself :)

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Had to look that up. Looks great :lol:

It's especially brilliant after a lunchtime kick off. You can work your way along Haymarket then round the evening off singing along to Simply The Best by Tina Turner along with half a dozen Gosforth dinner ladies, all wrecked on Jaeger & cheap "prosecco" ;)

• Haha 2

To boycott has its merits, but only if it's huge enough to where it has a significant impact on revenue intake. A one time boycott of maybe 10 to 15 thousand fans is not enough, it needs to be at least 30 to 35 thousand and not just a one-time no show. A one-time boycott wouldn't bring any kind of success against a joker like Ashley, to him it would be like a drop in the ocean. A repetitious boycott week after week might get attention but how could you get the fans to do that.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

It’s 12 years, isn’t it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noelie said:

To boycott has its merits, but only if it's huge enough to where it has a significant impact on revenue intake. A one time boycott of maybe 10 to 15 thousand fans is not enough, it needs to be at least 30 to 35 thousand and not just a one-time no show. A one-time boycott wouldn't bring any kind of success against a joker like Ashley, to him it would be like a drop in the ocean. A repetitious boycott week after week might get attention but how could you get the fans to do that.

I'm not talking about him taking a financial hit its about making a statement. The negative sight of a third or even half empty stadium on worldwide tv would be picked up by the media much more than any protest in or out of SJP.

I agree with others that the targeting of shops is the way to go. If it got to the point that he had to close the Sports direct in Newcastle it would no doubt add a bit of pressure on him from the SD board who already seem a bit sick of him acting a total cunt. It’d not really hurt the company financially that much but it’s more embarrassment for them stemming from the fact Ashley is being a wanker for no real reason. 

I agree with PL that picketing and effectively shaming people who go isn’t the way to go, in any case as embarrassing as an empty stadium would be he’d probably just shrug it off. 

• Like 1

It all seems a bit pointless to me. It feels like nothing will ever change, I find it better to focus on other things in my life. I will never give that fat cunt a penny in merchandising though.

7 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Can't think that I've ever been tempted...like @Howmanheyman I'm more of a Popworld man meself :)

Gotham town was shit, years since I've been in there. My biggest memory of it is walking past to go on nightshift when we played the mackems in the Gullit/Shearer fiasco. Pretty sure it was 1-1 when I left the house and I got off the bus, looked in at the telly to see the score. Bastards! :lol:

Can't remember which one popworld is, is it the Lowther? That's shite as well.