Toon V Lesta

trooper

I'm starting to think that getting rid of Dwight Gayle was a bad decision, we look absolutely toothless in the final third. At least Gayle put a shift in and actually troubled defenders, he knows where the goal is aswell.

Edited by Anorthernsoul
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I'm starting to think that getting rid of Dwight Gayle was a bad decision, we look absolutely toothless in the final third. At least Gayle put a shift in and actually troubled defenders, he knows where the goal is aswell.

I thought that when we got rid. No pace option up front without him either. If it’s him or Joselu starting up front it’s not even close. 

I

23 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I know we would be a hell of a lot lesser place without Rafa in charge.  But seriosuly.

What does BagofPoo offer over Mitrovic?  Seriously?

11 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I agree there's no goals in this team. We're stuck  with Joselu up front until Rondon's fully fit what an awful thought. I'm fairly sure we'll get no joy next Saturday against Man Utd at their place, as they'll be looking to avenge today's defeat against West Ham. The scary thought is by next weekend we could be in the bottom 3 & cut adrift after just 8 games 

Rafa Benitez press conference highlights

Rafa on the takeover: “I don’t know anything about it - I just concentrate on the pitch”.

Benitez: “When we saw the fixtures we knew the start of the season could be tough.”

On the Joselu chance: “Maybe he thought there was another player around.”

On fans booing the Ritchie sub: “It’s very clear. They want to win. We want to win. We can have different opinions depending on the moment.”

Benitez: “After the second goal it was clear the confidence is low. It’s something we could expect.”

Last season was built on graft, industry and a siege mentality, borne out of being a newly promoted side in a league full of people who saw us as easy targets. Despite it all, we finished tenth and, once more, there was minimal outlay. Now, the lack of quality still exists but you can't rely on the previously mentioned qualities because they're completely unique to a newly promoted side. As a player, it's impossible to have an underdog mentality when you finished in the top half of the Premier League. You expect progression, you expect more quality, you expect depth and more importantly, you expect all of those things to alleviate the massive pressure you were under last season. Those things didn't arrive and you absolutely cannot expect these players to do that again. The pressure on Ritchie, Shelvey, Lascelles and Kenedy remains huge and it would take truly great players to succeed in this current situation, especially when the players around them, God bless them, are trying, but remain not good enough.

Today was awful and, right now, Rafa Benitez is largely irrelevant. If Pardew was the manager of these players, I'd sympathise with him as well. They gave everything to the cause last season and it's ridiculous to expect the same again. They see through the ownership's bullshit and there's only so far that the respect Rafa creates can take you. 

We're fucked.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Last season was built on graft, industry and a siege mentality, borne out of being a newly promoted side in a league full of people who saw us as easy targets. Despite it all, we finished tenth and, once more, there was minimal outlay. Now, the lack of quality still exists but you can't rely on the previously mentioned qualities because they're completely unique to a newly promoted side. As a player, it's impossible to have an underdog mentality when you finished in the top half of the Premier League. You expect progression, you expect more quality, you expect depth and more importantly, you expect all of those things to alleviate the massive pressure you were under last season. Those things didn't arrive and you absolutely cannot expect these players to do that again. The pressure on Ritchie, Shelvey, Lascelles and Kenedy remains huge and it would take truly great players to succeed in this current situation, especially when the players around them, God bless them, are trying, but remain not good enough.

Today was awful and, right now, Rafa Benitez is largely irrelevant. If Pardew was the manager of these players, I'd sympathise with him as well. They gave everything to the cause last season and it's ridiculous to expect the same again. They see through the ownership's bullshit and there's only so far that the respect Rafa creates can take you. 

We're fucked.

Great post 

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

We're fucked.

Spot on