Peter Kenyon takeover

Anorthernsoul

6 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Upgrading training and stadium rebuilds would be under 10mill surely.

Not sure 200+ is needed on players. Agree on the main point but it's not going to be 6 or 700.

Leicester’s new training complex does cost 80m...

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We wouldnt need a full rebuild of the training surly.  But with upgrading and refurb of training and sorting the stadium I bet you're looking at approx £50m.

You must be looking at least another £50 to £100 million for premiership players if the club is to kick on.

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We wouldnt need a full rebuild of the training surly.  But with upgrading and refurb of training and sorting the stadium I bet you're looking at approx £50m.

Truthfully I dont know what needs doing to the stadium other than a paint job. What's wrong with it?

Apparently from that BBC thing they're training in an old squash court arent they?

I am doing a refurb at a school at the moment and it's a decent size, but nothing major.  A small extension being built on the side and thats £20m.  I know some lads working on basic refurb stuff at Bell End Road at the moment, basically replacement of carpets and some work at the Thorpe Arch training facilities, its a lot of none intrusive works, i.e licks of paint and thats costing £1.5m.

Works including taking seats out, replacing with new etc, all needs tight programmes etc and the cost goes up. 

I think at some point Ashley allowed a bit to be spent on the facilities but iirc it wasn’t much, it was an attempt to get that level 1 status which was missed out on. Over the 10 years I think that’s about it though so I’ve little to no doubt the training facilities are shite. 

The refusal to to put any investment into the training facilities was part of the reason Rafa told the fat bitch to go whistle. The club is just rotting under the cunt. 

56 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Truthfully I dont know what needs doing to the stadium other than a paint job. What's wrong with it?

I had a look yesterday after seeing a thread on SMB there what a shit tip SJP was. Think Gloom made similar observations. The place  needs a good clean. The latter 2/3 of the roof of the milburn had been cleaned, and looks great. The proximal 1/3 hasn't, and along with the entire Leazes, looks shit. Ffs, hire monkey and get it sparkling.

There's loads of paintwork needed too. On the scale of things, cheap as chips. Too much for supercunt Mike Ashley though. 

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Suppose it depends if we're building a new one or just improving the existing one.

Well the original plan - that got scrapped because of the team becoming permanent relegation fodder- was meant to replace the current training ground...

I don't think just improving the current complex will close the gap to other teams, but even then you will certainly look for much more than 10m.

On 9/29/2018 at 23:49, Kid Dynamite said:

What does any owner outside the top 4 get out of owning a club? None of them turn a profit

Ashley bought the club at £135mil and Stavely offered between £250-300mil, so it's clearly appreciated in value. Maybe he hopes the trend will continue for another 10 years. His failing has been the £144mil he had to loan us on top of his initial outlay, partly  due to our relegations, which means he would only have broken even with the Stavely deal. That would bruise his ego which is why he was reportedly looking for £400mil.

Either way, the club is worth at least what he has invested in it. Also I would argue its impossible to put a figure on what the advertising would cost at another club because no other club has a fraction of adverts for a single business like we do at St James. Not to mention that fact that every time he's mentioned in relation to the club he's referred to as "Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley". No one had heard of him 10 years ago and now he's a house hold name along with his business. 

It's not necessarily a monetary gain that the other owners are looking for.

I don't buy this "any attention is good attention" line. He may be a household name, but he's renowned for being a terrible employer, for a shop that hawks cheap tat. And now the people who know him as the owner of Newcastle United know him as an unambitious, lying, embarrassment. 

How is that good for business?

• Like 1

All of a sudden we have a prospective new buyer of the club. Is it mere coincidence that Keegans new book is released on Thursday & promises to tell what really happened between him & Ashley. It looks like more smoke & mirrors to me as Kenyon doesn't have the funds himself to buy the club & would need financial backing via a consortium

11 hours ago, Renton said:

I had a look yesterday after seeing a thread on SMB there what a shit tip SJP was. Think Gloom made similar observations. The place  needs a good clean. The latter 2/3 of the roof of the milburn had been cleaned, and looks great. The proximal 1/3 hasn't, and along with the entire Leazes, looks shit. Ffs, hire monkey and get it sparkling.

There's loads of paintwork needed too. On the scale of things, cheap as chips. Too much for supercunt Mike Ashley though. 

The chairs are literally falling apart in the milburn. I was in the platinum club, the choice of name feels increasingly ironic.

21 minutes ago, trooper said:

All of a sudden we have a prospective new buyer of the club. Is it mere coincidence that Keegans new book is released on Thursday & promises to tell what really happened between him & Ashley. It looks like more smoke & mirrors to me as Kenyon doesn't have the funds himself to buy the club & would need financial backing via a consortium

All possibly true, but why would Kenyon associate himself with it. He would need to be in cahoots with Ashley. Not impossible but I don't know why he would be.

The consortium thing doesn't sound much different to what Stavely was thinking of truthfully. In fact, if it is a legit move, it may involve a number of the people she was talking to anyway.

I think it’s genuine tbh, as Rayvin said I can’t see Kenyon being the type to be part of Ashley’s shite attempts at getting rid of pressure. 

The only things I doubt are Ashley being genuinely interested in selling the club, and anyone being interested enough to put up with the bloke during negotiations. 

• Like 2

some cunt has got to put us out of our misery and buy ashley out at some point. why not now? imagine the lift it would give the place if it suddenly happened before christmas and rafa is given a £250m war chest to save our skin in january

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

some cunt has got to put us out of our misery and buy ashley out at some point. why not now? imagine the lift it would give the place if it suddenly happened before christmas and rafa is given a £250m war chest to save our skin in january

I'd love that to happen mate but here's the latest from Sky...

One source told Sky Sports News that until Kenyon makes an offer, it is a case of “a man with no money wanting to buy a football club”.’

2 minutes ago, trooper said:

Keith Bishop told Sky Sports News that until Kenyon makes an offer, it is a case of “a man with no money wanting to buy a football club”.’

FYP

23 minutes ago, trooper said:

One source told Sky Sports News that until Kenyon makes an offer, it is a case of “a man with no money wanting to buy a football club”.’

i don't expect that to happen, but it will happen one day (a takeover that is, not necessarily a massive bunce to spend on players)

On 29/09/2018 at 23:49, Kid Dynamite said:

What does any owner outside the top 4 get out of owning a club? None of them turn a profit

Sorry, I've been away for a few days so didn't get a proper chance to reply. I guess most of the owners of the other clubs (if not all of them) are ambitious and trying to get success as much as anything. Whether that's getting as high up the league as possible, getting into Europe, getting into the CL, winning a trophy or whatever. Given Ashley isn't interested in anything bar staying in the league and also taking into account what appears to motivate him generally, then it's probably safe to assume he's in it for the money. I agree with you that making a profit at a Premier League club is very difficult but that would just support my initial point which was, in essence, his hanging onto the club doesn't make much sense from a financial pov. One thing I would ask though is, if you did want to make money - what would you do? Without wishing to put words into your mouth I would guess that you and I would probably have similar views. You would look to maximise match day revenue, you would look to employ an experienced and capable chief executive, you would try and make the academy the best in the region and one of the best in the country and you would invest in getting the coaches that would make this possible. Additionally you would probably try and have a scouting network both at home and, particularly abroad which helped to insure you had an excellent chance of picking up emerging talent. All of those things would require investment but the potential returns, if you did it right, would far outweigh that. Yet, some 10 years into his ownership Ashley has done none of these things and shows no intention of doing so. So, from a financial point of view, again (to me) the way he approaches things makes no fucking sense.

Ashley bought the club at £135mil and Stavely offered between £250-300mil, so it's clearly appreciated in value. Maybe he hopes the trend will continue for another 10 years. His failing has been the £144mil he had to loan us on top of his initial outlay, partly  due to our relegations, which means he would only have broken even with the Stavely deal. That would bruise his ego which is why he was reportedly looking for £400mil.

That's not dissimilar to the point I was making really but the headline figure of £135m doesn't take into account the debt he took on and the stadium repayments which needed to be made immediately. Bearing those in mind, does the figure the club is now worth (in actuality, rather than in the owner's dreams) represent a decent return on his investment? I think it was @Howay who said he'd have been better off with a FTSE tracker let alone the sort of hedge funds he could've had access to with the levels of cash we're dealing with. You talk about the trend continuing for the next 10 years but what has the trend been? We've gone down twice due to his falings as an owner. If he doesn't sell and Benitez goes, then would you bet against another relegation in the foreseeable? And what then? If you look at the money in the Championship and how competive it is now then would you fancy us to bounce straight back with an inferior manager? Also, if it's not the case now then it certainly will be the case soon that a good Championship striker is likely to set you back something in excess of our record signing (which, as we all know, pre-dates the current owner anyway). You also mention that he's looking for a figure in excess of what the club would appear to be worth so as not to bruise his ego. While that may be the case, on what planet is a prospective buyer going to pay £100m over the odds just to provide Ashley with a profit he doesn't deserve? Again, none of this makes a great deal of sense.

Either way, the club is worth at least what he has invested in it. Also I would argue its impossible to put a figure on what the advertising would cost at another club because no other club has a fraction of adverts for a single business like we do at St James. Not to mention that fact that every time he's mentioned in relation to the club he's referred to as "Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley". No one had heard of him 10 years ago and now he's a house hold name along with his business. 

I would argue you would just take a look at what other clubs in the league make from billboard advertising at the ground and base your estimate on that. Either way it can't make financial sense to own the club and sink hundreds of millions into just for that. As for the association with the brand, it appears to be a prett toxic one. Also, he's still pretty reclusive and and seemingly pretty thin-skinned in regards to any criticism. Even if it was just for the exposure it's not very good value for money.

I think we had a similar discussion before and I would reiterate that (bearing in mind how difficult he is to read and how perplexing some of his decisions are then I don't discount your reasoning. I.e. they may well be the reasons why he continues to own the club. But if they are, they're fucking ludicrous iyam.

• Like 2