He still knows what he's talking about

Ted Maul

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Stor...1000157,00.html

He's completely right, especially the bit about the coaches

89306[/snapback]

He's right, although he has the luxury of us never knowing how far the decline would have gone if he'd stayed.

89320[/snapback]

Agreed, he was sacked for the right reasons, sadly at the wrong time, and the wrong successor !

89306[/snapback]

He's right, although he has the luxury of us never knowing how far the decline would have gone if he'd stayed.

89320[/snapback]

Agreed, he was sacked for the right reasons, sadly at the wrong time, and the wrong successor !

89322[/snapback]

True

89306[/snapback]

He's right, although Robson has the luxury of us never knowing how far the decline would have gone if he'd stayed.

89320[/snapback]

You could say that about any manager after their dismissal though, it's a meaningless comment. You can only judge him on his past, not some hypothetical future. I thought he'd had his time but no way would we be where we are now if we had stuck with Robson and given him £50 M to spend. Or at least that's what history suggests.

Agree especially about the injury comment - he's a man who doesn't hide behind such poor excuses, and in the process fooling lots of other people with their silly "do you think even Hiddink or Mourinho would cope with all those injuries?"-esque comments...

Answer is they'd cope a lot better than Souness. So tell me how does Jewell cope with his lack of quality in his squad?

He might be right but why stick the knife in?  It's pointless.

89364[/snapback]

Because Souness, in his various attempts at blaming everyone and everything but himself for his total incompetence, had a dig at Robson on more than one occasion. Bobby is spot on.

With Bobby all the way on that one - he's right to have a dig because he had done a magnificent job with us and its all been taken apart by Souness. I believe we would have achieved Euro qualification last season if Bobby had still been in charge.

89306[/snapback]

He's right, although Robson has the luxury of us never knowing how far the decline would have gone if he'd stayed.

89320[/snapback]

You could say that about any manager after their dismissal though, it's a meaningless comment. You can only judge him on his past, not some hypothetical future. I thought he'd had his time but no way would we be where we are now if we had stuck with Robson and given him £50 M to spend. Or at least that's what history suggests.

89336[/snapback]

Totally agree with you here Renton, had Robson had a 50 mill war chest the likes of Boumsong and Luque wouldn't have come here. Didn't Robson turn down Boumsong on a free when he was looking to leave Auxerre? Canny judge of a player!

89306[/snapback]

89320[/snapback]

89336[/snapback]

Totally agree with you here Renton, had Robson had a 50 mill war chest the likes of Boumsong and Luque wouldn't have come here. Didn't Robson turn down Boumsong on a free when he was looking to leave Auxerre? Canny judge of a player!

89719[/snapback]

Boumsong turned both us and Liverpool down to go to Rangers.

89306[/snapback]

89320[/snapback]

89336[/snapback]

89719[/snapback]

Boumsong turned both us and Liverpool down to go to Rangers.

89727[/snapback]

Well that says it all, Jean Alain himself had realised he wasn't good enough for this league so chose the easy life in the SPL.

I may of course be wrong, but that's how I remember it. I know Liverpool were pissed off with him for "nearly" joining and then backing out.

89732[/snapback]

I wasn't sure what the situation was exactly but would assume Rangers was the only place left where he could get a lot of money.

He might be right but why stick the knife in?  It's pointless.

89364[/snapback]

Also anyone who's commented on Souness's sacking has said how he's been unlucky with injuries etc, not that he's incompetent.

89740[/snapback]

Just as well we all know he is!

Rock on Robson.

89306[/snapback]

89320[/snapback]

89336[/snapback]

89719[/snapback]

*cough* Carl Cort

*cough* Hugo Viana

89306[/snapback]

89320[/snapback]

89336[/snapback]

89719[/snapback]

*cough* Carl Cort

*cough* Hugo Viana

89959[/snapback]

They all buy duds from time to time.

I see NUFC.com got in a few more digs at Robson - there's a surprise.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, Sir Bobby Robson had this to say about the departure of his successor at SJP:

"Make no mistake, this is an alarming time for Newcastle United. It's why Freddy Shepherd had no choice in sacking Graeme Souness.

"After all, they sacked the last manager - me! - after finishing fifth. So 15th position, as they were on Wednesday night, isn't even close to being respectable.

[We were actually 16th when Bobby got the heave-ho...]

"Graeme had a lot of injuries, but he also let a lot of good young players go, either selling them or sending them out on loan.

"James Milner, Jermaine Jenas, Darren Ambrose, Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert, Aaron Hughes, Andy O'Brien - all of them would have done a job for the team.

[the Caldwells, Solano, Woodgate anyone??]

"I know better than anyone Craig could be an irritant, but he wasn't so bad that he couldn't be handled. By falling out with him so publicly, Newcastle lost a star player for the knockdown price of £5million and the team's attacking play has not been as fluent since."

"In recent weeks, there has been talk of an injury curse, which I don't buy.

"Certainly the club have suffered poor luck but there were still enough expensive players on the pitch for results to have been better.

"However many mistakes Jean-Alain Boumsong made at the back, communication with the rest of his defenders never improved under Graeme and his coaches, which baffled me, to be honest."

[bobby and his staff turned Titus Bramble into a world beater, of course...]

A dignified silence might have been a better policy for Sir Bobby rather than a rewrite of modern history.

So what they're implying is that the Caldwells would have improved us (yeah, right) and that selling Woodgate had anything to do with Robson? What a load of shit. And as has been pointed out before in this thread, Bobby has every right to comment on the shambles Souness has left when you compare it to what Bobby did here. Their constant digs at Robson are pathetic and absolutely uncalled for.