Salomon Rondon

wykikitoon

I have tried looking for a thread on him but can't seem to find one.

On Saturday he was class.  His first touch is superb.  If it was Salah or Hazard it would have been discussed for hours on podcasts and Match of the Day, wanked over and hailed for PFA player of the year.  His hold up play and how he gets others involved has been brilliant.  A total grafter, loved it.  The sportsman ship shown by him too when the lad got smashed in the face, well done lad.  Again, if this was one of the players from the 'Big 25' or whatever fucking shite they are now it would be on the front page of the rags.

It's more apparent now that he was unfit when he first joined us.  Fingers crossed he stays fit.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Love him. Unsure if he’s a clinical finisher but his overall cf play on Saturday was immense. Strength, hold up play with his back to goal, touch ... all class

Aye couldn't agree more.  If Perez was a little more consistent and intelligent we could have a decent partnership going.

He seems to be the sort of focal point that Benitez didn't find in Mitro and hoped Slimani would be. 

If he stays fit for the rest of the season we stay up.

• Like 1

As said, Rafa with some backing would have been able to build a brilliant forward line with him in the centre flanked by two quick and incisive strikers. It's a shame he will only be a Newcastle player for a season and Rafa won't be here to build said forward line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

As said, Rafa with some backing would have been able to build a brilliant forward line with him in the centre flanked by two quick and incisive strikers. It's a shame he will only be a Newcastle player for a season and Rafa won't be here to build said forward line.

This.

15 hours ago, sammynb said:

:aye:

• 1 month later...

An Absolute beast.  First half we were struggling to get him service.  Plus the added fact the Blue Nonces were using him as a climbing frame.

He needs to be our first signing this summer.

• Like 2

He’s a hard worker with a great touch but he does only have eight league goals this season.

Though there’s an argument to be made that that’s as good as we can expect from a player of that quality playing in a side set up as ours is.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

He’s a hard worker with a great touch but he does only have eight league goals this season.

Though there’s an argument to be made that that’s as good as we can expect from a player of that quality playing in a side set up as ours is.

He wasn’t fit for the first couple of months either. We had Joselu up front.

Edited by zerosum

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

The other argument is that if he was a better finisher he’d be worth way above what Ashley is willing to pay. He still might be 

$16m paid in July would probably have meant that we were pretty much safe from relegation by Christmas, I reckon.  That may have made it easier to sell the club, then.  

Of course, it could have meant no Almiron either :( 

6 hours ago, zerosum said:

......................................................................................... Forget his age, 

I can agree with that to some degree.  I think the over the hill, sell-by, best-by dates are comical and mythical, you can never put a finger on when a particular individual is going to be past his best. 

Take Stanley Mathews for instance, played in the 1st Division at age 50.  Sure he may have been past his  best, but what about when he was 35, 40, 45?  We are all individuals and can be different to others at the same age.

For the record, I played for a team in Newport Beach California, players ranged from 18 to 35, I was a starter and played 90 minutes all season long, I was 47, people are different.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Noelie said:

For the record, I played for a team in Newport Beach California, players ranged from 18 to 35, I was a starter and played 90 minutes all season long, I was 47, people are different.

Aye but that was during WWII Noelie, just like people are different so are the times...

5 hours ago, Noelie said:

I can agree with that to some degree.  I think the over the hill, sell-by, best-by dates are comical and mythical, you can never put a finger on when a particular individual is going to be past his best. 

Take Stanley Mathews for instance, played in the 1st Division at age 50.  Sure he may have been past his  best, but what about when he was 35, 40, 45?  We are all individuals and can be different to others at the same age.

Whilst I can see what you’re saying, I meant with Rondon that he’s 29 and at the high age range of a modern day prem player. But if we got 3 good seasons from him to his early 30s it would be a good buy. Not just for say 10+ goals per season if he’s on form, but his all round play. He’s a good all round player imo.

Like @zerosum said, first couple of months of the season he wasnt fit.   Also like he's said.  He is great at bringing others into play.  His first touch is class, he can see a decent pass and holds up play well.  Some of the play this season if it was people like Aguero, Salah, Messi etc the press would have been making him look like a decorators radio.