Miguel Almiron

wykikitoon

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Urgh... Jesus.

Goal threat ≠ Goal return

It's surely one of the most important stats we can use in forming an opinion

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It might do, you make a good point, but I guess I'm thinking that it'll probably be harder to score at the levels he has when he DOESN'T GET THE FUCKING BALL!

This claim is completely invalid as you completely ignore our possession percentage, amongst all the other variables. You are just cherry picking the stat the supports your position.

I thought you were more rigorous than that. Sad!

How is this still rumbling on. When ASM comes back, Almiron will get less of the ball. Not none of the ball, less of the ball. 

How is this contentious?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

How is this still rumbling on. When ASM comes back, Almiron will get less of the ball. Not none of the ball, less of the ball. 

How is this contentious?

It's not contentious it's just completely unproven. Also completely ignores the areas where he does receive the ball, which might just impact on his goal threat

If you are going to make spurious claims at least put the work in

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

It's not contentious it's just completely unproven. Also completely ignores the areas where he does receive the ball, which might just impact on his goal threat

If you are going to make spurious claims at least put the work in

Don't mess with the stats.

Just now, spongebob toonpants said:

It's surely one of the most important stats we can use in forming an opinion

This claim is completely invalid as you completely ignore our possession percentage, amongst all the other variables. You are just cherry picking the stat the supports your position.

I thought you were more rigorous than that. Sad!

No, it shows he's performed well, not that he has usurped ASM as the most dangerous goal threat.

I've shown that, per 90, Almiron gets more touches, is the target of more passes, when ASM isn't playing. 

In terms of possession percentage. 

image.png.89d74a72d6a76c5ef87d87d75e2ca25a.png

In terms of being a target of a pass

image.png.1daae24f7594c35ff35a8a89fb586761.png

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No, it shows he's performed well, not that he has usurped ASM as the most dangerous goal threat.

I've shown that, per 90, Almiron gets more touches, is the target of more passes, when ASM isn't playing. 

So both Almiron's 2nd highest percentage in both those charts came when ASM was playing. Interesting

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

So both Almiron's 2nd highest percentage in both those charts came when ASM was playing. Interesting

Why, in the world, would you cherry pick those two, instead of looking at the overall trend? Given, y'know, that's what we're talking about?

with ASM, Almiron averages 7.3% of the teams' touches, without it's 7.5%, leave out the Liverpool game and it's 8%.

with ASM, Almiron averages 9.8% as the team's passing target, without it's 9.7%, leave out Liverpool and it's 10.3%. 75% of ASM's games see him as the passing target one in ten times. Almiron is 25% with ASM, without it's 50%.

So, in summary. When ASM plays, Almiron has fewer touches and is the passing target less often. 

Right, now that we've cleared that up you can go ask someone else to explain shit.

Basically ASM has been our outlet and main focal point.

It is going to be interesting once ASM comes back.  I am sure he will become the focal point again.  Miggy is producing and it would be class if he can carry it on once ASM comes back as it gives opposition two areas where they have to be worried about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Basically ASM has been our outlet and main focal point.

It is going to be interesting once ASM comes back.  I am sure he will become the focal point again.  Miggy is producing and it would be class if he can carry it on once ASM comes back as it gives opposition two areas where they have to be worried about.

Not possible Wykiki. The ball has to go to ASM every time.  

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why, in the world, would you cherry pick those two, instead of looking at the overall trend? Given, y'know, that's what we're talking about?

with ASM, Almiron averages 7.3% of the teams' touches, without it's 7.5%, leave out the Liverpool game and it's 8%.

with ASM, Almiron averages 9.8% as the team's passing target, without it's 9.7%, leave out Liverpool and it's 10.3%. 75% of ASM's games see him as the passing target one in ten times. Almiron is 25% with ASM, without it's 50%.

So, in summary. When ASM plays, Almiron has fewer touches and is the passing target less often. 

Right, now that we've cleared that up you can go ask someone else to explain shit.

2 things to say. Sample size and correlation vs causality. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Ok @The Fish from those stats and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a stat guy like you. Almiron is the target of a pass 35.25 times a game  with ASM, and 35.75 without. Doesn't really seem that different, so maybe you should calm your skin

Edited by spongebob toonpants
Removed superfluous % sign. Not a stats guy

12 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Ok @The Fish from those stats and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a stat guy like you. Almiron is the target of a pass 35.25 times a game  with ASM, and 35.75 without. Doesn't really seem that different, so maybe you should calm your skin

You are wrong. With ASM in the team, Almiron is the target of a pass 35.25 times a game and 40.75 without, and again, if you disregard Liverpool it's closer to 45 times a game. That's a 27.7% increase.

34 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You are wrong. With ASM in the team, Almiron is the target of a pass 35.25 times a game and 40.75 without, and again, if you disregard Liverpool it's closer to 45 times a game. That's a 27.7% increase.

Well if you can disallow Liv I can disregard ManC which makes it 40 per game with ASM in the side.

Still think you are bending the stats to fit your narrative.

More to the point you are basing this on the stats for  ASM playing only 4 games,  one of which was ManC

7 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Well if you can disallow Liv I can disregard ManC which makes it 40 per game with ASM in the side.

Still think you are bending the stats to fit your narrative.

More to the point you are basing this on the stats for  ASM playing only 4 games,  one of which was ManC

Well, if you really want I can go through last season, and discover further evidence that ASM has been the chief attacking outlet for Newcastle United since he joined. I can show that he's consistently received more of the ball, had more touches than Almiron has. But I think we both know that I'll provide that then you'll twist and moan and find another reason to disregard the evidence that backs up that which is self-evident.