Shelvey Transfer?!

Dmoretz13

I don’t get Rafa.  Why would you make Shelvey earn his spot implying that Hayden and Longstaff are actually better players?  Now rumors of a Hammers transfer in Summer, I doubt Ashley would ever allow a proper amount that they would get for him so new, good players could be bought.  So the team would be stuck with either aging midfielders or young inexperienced ones who’s form are just miraculously good at this point.  Really hoping to see either Jonjo get more playtime and establish his place in the starting 11 or (far fetched) use the transfer fee to buy another good midfielder.

what do you think?

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aren’t all our players ageing? Aren’t all of us?

Our slow march towards the void continues.

We've been better this season with literally any of our CMs in rather than Shelvey, he doesn't deserve a place in the 11 at the moment, given the fact he can't be arsed all too often and can be pressed out of the game quite easily when hes not in the mood I don't care.

• Like 2

He’s been pushing to be away since the end of last season. He can’t be arsed to muster much above walking pace for the vast majority of games which can quite often cost us goals, while his passing can be an asset he can quite often get caught up in trying the spectacular ball over and over, and when he’s having a bad game he can be prone to lashing out stupidly seeing us reduced to 10 men. 

He can be a good player but he’s another in a long line of having the quality but not the professional attitude imo. I definitely would prefer Longstaff over him in the side, the kid has high potential, is hungry to prove himself, and wants to be at the club, Shelvey could potentially play next to Longstaff but I think you’d need to play them in a 3 as Shelvey is a lazy prick. The final bit for me is that I hear he is an absolute cunt of a bloke away from the pitch as well. If we could rip a team of overpayers like West Ham off for him and spend it replacing him I’d be chuffed (I know the second bit is unlikely). As Andrew says we have looked best this season when he’s not been around the side which says a lot. 

Edited by Howay

10 hours ago, Dmoretz13 said:

I don’t get Rafa.  Why would you make Shelvey earn his spot implying that Hayden and Longstaff are actually better players?  Now rumors of a Hammers transfer in Summer, I doubt Ashley would ever allow a proper amount that they would get for him so new, good players could be bought.  So the team would be stuck with either aging midfielders or young inexperienced ones who’s form are just miraculously good at this point.  Really hoping to see either Jonjo get more playtime and establish his place in the starting 11 or (far fetched) use the transfer fee to buy another good midfielder.

what do you think?

Welcome to the board, Jonjo. :good:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

the lazy stuff is just rolled out by fans of other clubs who haven't acknowledged his transformation under Rafa. 

It's not like. If his head isn't right he's 100% the laziest player on the pitch, which was the case in his last appearance for us. No coincidence that he can't even get on the bench atm

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Loads of ability but I always got the feeling Benitez didn’t trust or rate him particularly but he needed him last season to a far greater extent than it would seem he does now 

39 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It's not like. If his head isn't right he's 100% the laziest player on the pitch, which was the case in his last appearance for us. No coincidence that he can't even get on the bench atm

That's a result of the competition for places ethos that Benitez lives by. No point in picking on appearances where he's clearly carrying an injury and putting it down to his head not being right either. It's a lazy conclusion to draw.

Apparently Premiership players surprisingly regularly fail drugs tests for Cocaine and get three month bans.  This is somehow kept out of the press.  Sounds a little far fetched but it's what I was told the other day.

Whoa I never said anything about Shelvey being banned. Hypothetically though a player might play for the reserves when his ban was up and the Premier League usually give out bans in terms of games rather than time.

4 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Whoa I never said anything about Shelvey being banned. Hypothetically though a player might play for the reserves when his ban was up and the Premier League usually give out bans in terms of games rather than time.

Berahino was one who got several in a row or something wasn't he?

A period out seems to work well to refocus his discipline on the pitch. Ability wise he's very talented but Rafa is right to make him continually earn a spot on the teamsheet. He won't sell him becauae he knows the money won't be reinvested.

17 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Apparently Premiership players surprisingly regularly fail drugs tests for Cocaine and get three month bans.  This is somehow kept out of the press.  Sounds a little far fetched but it's what I was told the other day.

All you have to do is go on the UKAD page and see violations.

With the amount of money in football though it wouldnt be a shock if they were back handed.