The Elephant In The Room

trooper

With  just over 60+ days of Rafa's 3 year contract to run what do you think will happen ? Obviously we all hope he'd stay but after being shafted, lied to & undermined for the past 3 years is it possible. Also we face the prospect of Ashley going nowhere fast, would Rafa really put up with virtually begging to Ashley via Charnley for another 3/5 years for transfer funds ? Rafa's been an exceptional manager for us. He's a legend  up there with Keegan & Sir Bobby. In Rafa's mind (the project) this is the season we should have been pushing for one of those top 6 places. Then next season with a new contract signed leading us back in to European football. Unfortunately I can't see Rafa staying beyond his contract in fact Ashley will be probably be glad to see the back of him & has probably got the next yes man (Pardew) lined up. The sad thing is Rafa will leave with hardly a ripple from the fan base. Yet first game next season SJP will be packed & Rafa will be a distant memory. Thanks Rafa you'vs been a great manager & well deserving of your legendary status. Bon Voyage 

I actually think he might look for reasons to stay. But I don't know if i would want him to if Ashley is staying. I mean for one thing he doesn't deserve Ashley's nonsense, and for another thing he would keep us alive at a time when maybe we need to fail so that we can finally get free of the great fat bastard.

17 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Just think he wants to, and his hard work has shown signs of bearing fruit with recent performances. Even just a couple of quality additions will elevate this side to the next level

I think he wants to, but with Ashley controlling financial  things I think the penny's finally dropped. The only thing he's hung on for so long was in the hope that the club would be sold to give himself a fighting chance of taking the club forward. But with Ashley not really wanting to sell the club I think Rafa can see continuing being meaningless. He's said countless times he & his team (backroom staff) like winning trophies. It's never happening under Ashley 

I don't think he would have been expecting us to push for a top 6 place this season.  I think he'll have been hoping to get the backing to have us comfortably in the top pushing towards about 8th.  He's not daft enough to think we can push the top six without serious financial backing.

I agree with those saying they think he really wants to stay but I don't think Ashley will do what's required to keep him.

• Like 3

Agree with what others are saying. I think he is enjoying being at NUFC and would love to stay but I just feel his patience will run out with Ashley. It’s really ridiculous that an owner will with hold funds from a manager until they sign a new contract, and Rafa basically had to play this game of chicken right down to deadline day before Ashley caved. Maybe Rafa will move past that sort of game but I’m not convinced. 

I'd call it "effective." We finished 10th last season. We're going to stop up this season with some room to spare. All of this on basically no budget at all. What miracles do you expect him to work? If the matchday experience is flat, it isn't down to Rafa, I think that's clear. It's down to the fat bastard finally grinding us down over ten years. 

• Like 3

The only reason I think he would stay is that we now have the best squad since he came here. 

-Dubravka, Yedlin, Richie, Dummett, Fernandez, Schar, Lascelles, Lejeune is the best back line outside of the top 6

-Longstaff will start every game next season if he stays fit. Almiron looks like a star in the making.

-If we can keep Rondon and raise some cash selling Gayle, Hayden, Joselu, Murphy etc. to fund upgrades up front and on the wings, he may think he has enough of a squad to make a go of the league, even if Ashley won't put his own money in

Alternatively, when he asks to upgrade the training ground and academy and Ashley laughs in his face he may just walk out :lol:

3 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

His brand of football is archaic from years gone by. The matchday experience is as low as its ever been.

He'll leave anyway because only a fucking idiot or a desperado would work under Ashley.

I was at the Burnley match a couple of weeks ago. It was a great atmosphere. 

You clearly didnt sit through the Allardyce or Joe Kinnear days if you think this is the lowest the crowd has ever been ffs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

His brand of football is archaic from years gone by. The matchday experience is as low as its ever been.

He'll leave anyway because only a fucking idiot or a desperado would work under Ashley.

The last home game I went to was Cardiff. They were shit but we destroyed them and the atmosphere was great 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

You clearly didnt sit through the Allardyce or Joe Kinnear days if you think this is the lowest the crowd has ever been ffs

That Pompey game under Allardyce :lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Howay said:

That Pompey game under Allardyce :lol: 

Thought that was a retirement gathering for Cacapa?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I was at the City Game when we got smashed 4-0 by City (who were not yet owned by Billionaires and had Joey Barton playing for em) under Souness.  He got sacked the next day.

Fuck me, there were some unhappy people in that away end that night!  

15 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Wtf are you on about? You only have to go back to the previous manager to make your argument laughable