Liverpool Game

MIKEFC

Disappointed we didn't come away with at least a point, the game was there to be won had we capitalized on the chances we had which were many.

The fault of all 3 Liverpool's goals has to be placed on our defense's frailties, especially on set pieces.

Forget about blaming bad refereeing, in no way did he prevent us from scoring, and it's goals that count.

I think Rafa should have given Shelvey a run-out, maybe last 20-30 minutes, a game-change was needed and Shelvey would have wanted to hurt his old team.

I think Lascelles has become a question-mark as to whether he's up to the job anymore.

Atsu(even though he scored), and Manquillo were our weakest spots.

Gutted we didn't get what we deserved from this, a draw at least. Not a good idea to have this match kicking off at 7.45 on a bank holiday weekend. As i mentioned, there was possibly more than a hundred liverpool fans in the posh parts of the Milburn, in the back 3 rows of the lower tier across the entire stand length. Plus a smattering in other areas. They didn't exactly sit on their hands, in fact I'd say their celebrations were goading, with a predictable response in the pissed up atmosphere. There were too many of them to eject, which got a lot of our fans ridiculously worked up. Worst trouble i have seen at the ground since it was modernised. Punches thrown, several people thrown out or arrested.

The other off the field event was the flag, apparently the biggest in Europe, which literally covered the entire Gallowgate. I can't even fathom how something that big could be made. 

I'll be a Man City supporter for the next week now i think. Liverpool don't deserve to win. 

Shocking goals to concede. It’s sad we couldn’t meet the defensive standards we've set in the past few years or we could have well & truly fucked their title challenge.

• Like 1

I think the clowns on Sky were saying it wasn’t the law. Because we subsequently scored then he hadn’t denied a goal scoring opportunity. Not sure I follow that logic myself.

Makes no sense. If a foul occurs elsewhere the ref will allow the advantage of play on and then go back and card the culprit. Happens all the time. The fact we scored subsequent to the blatant hand ball shouldn't change the blatant hand ball or its punishment. Otherwise what are we saying? Atsu should have deliberately missed? A pen and playing against 10 men is better than a goal at that stage of the game. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Makes no sense. If a foul occurs elsewhere the ref will allow the advantage of play on and then go back and card the culprit. Happens all the time. The fact we scored subsequent to the blatant hand ball shouldn't change the blatant hand ball or its punishment. Otherwise what are we saying? Atsu should have deliberately missed? A pen and playing against 10 men is better than a goal at that stage of the game. 

But he should have been booked, a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour but it was Andre Mariner so that was never going to happen. Just like the foul that wasn't, which resulted in the free kick they scored their third from, was always going to happen for the same reason.

FiFA's rules state-

"If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent's handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent off but may still be cautioned."

btw

https://www.givemesport.com/1473112-fifa-rules-state-trent-alexanderarnold-couldnt-be-sent-off-for-handball-at-newcastle

Edited by sammynb

As far as I'm concerned as we scored then he should have got a yellow. 

Also I know it wouldn't have mattered but Milner committed a yellow card offence only for him to play advantage then book him for a second foul 20 seconds later - if the two fouls had been separated by a break in play then it would have been two yellows but of course its only one. 

Its similar to players like Keane and Rooney giving refs a mouthful of abuse while being carded - oh for one of them to have the balls to book them again. 

Finally without wishing lasting damage on him, I'm glad Salah got a real whack after spending the entire game cheating - missing their big game on Wednesday serves the cunt right. 

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I can see that, just pointing out the law itself is daft. So am I right in thinking if Atsu had missed, it was a red and a penalty?

It is daft, if you blatantly hand ball like that you should be off, regardless of what transpires thereafter. There is no argument against it.

For him to go unpunished is ridiculous, and wrong, even with the ruling in place.

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I can see that, just pointing out the law itself is daft. So am I right in thinking if Atsu had missed, it was a red and a penalty?

By the letter of the law if we hadn't scored, yes he should have been sent off. But we all know Mariner would have bottled it & just gave him a yellow. Like when Almiron was mugged on the halfway line a couple of games ago. Cheating cunts are encouraged by shite officiating.

I don't really understand the hatred for Liverpool tbh. Just seems like dismal LADBible esque nonsense to me. I like Klopp and the majority of their players. Wouldn't mind seeing them win it.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

The fact we scored subsequent to the blatant hand ball shouldn't change the blatant hand ball or its punishment.  

In my book that's true.

The hand ball preventing a goal occurred before the goal was subsequently scored, therefore it was an immediate Red card offense and the punishment should have been meted out.

12 hours ago, Noelie said:

In my book that's true.

The hand ball preventing a goal occurred before the goal was subsequently scored, therefore it was an immediate Red card offense and the punishment should have been meted out.

Unfortunately, that's not the rule, though.