Expectations for next season?

Scottish Mag

Obviously which manager we get, how much money they have, which players want to stay etc. is going to effect it.

But as long as Fat Fred gets a top clss manager in i expect to be back in the top 6 again, we have the players for that and will be adding more, and this time they will be maanged by somebody who isn't a moron.

If things go really well. we'll be one of the teams who challenge for 4th place and CL qualififcation, get a good start to a season and that momentum, backed up by quality can take you to 4th.

But certainly UEFA cup qualification is what i'll be expecting.

It depends on the manager who comes in and the players who go out.

If we get a decent manager and keep hold of important members of the current squad (especially Michael Owen) then a challenge for a top six spot has to be the ambition. You can fail if the performances are all right, but I don't want a season like this to be happen again.

In the long run, depending on who we bring in, I think we'll do the following.

Mid-table at best (Bruce, O'Leary...)

Push for European qualification every season (Curbishley, Roeder...)

Guarantee top 6 football every season and maybe push for 4th spot (Allardyce, O'Neill...)

Annual top 4 challengers (Eriksson, Hitzfeld...)

Basically i'd be content with not being a bloody laughing stock for a change :doubleact: I'd like to see us become settled, consistent and stable with a decent manager who brings out the best in the players and forms a strong team Then hopefully results will follow.

Looking at how well bloody Tottenham are doing, it pains me to think where we would be now if the Fat Man had replaced Robson with a decent manager and given him £50m to spend. I just hope Arsenal will get 4th spot and not Spurs.

As for next season, a Top 6 finish has to be the aim regardless of who we get in as manager.

What are your expectations for NUFC next season?

If we stay up  :doubleact: after the last 18 months is it 40 points?  European qualification? Or are there any optimists that expect Champions League qualification once again?

89420[/snapback]

First things first, stay up.

With a manager who instilled confidence, a positive approach, knew what they were doing, and shifted the right players out with a few replacements, even if he has to balance the books, we should make the UEFA Cup.

As always an FA Cup run is a welcome bonus but we want to win it at last.

Getting back into the CL is a much taller order altogether, it could take a few years to get back to that, like it took Bobby Robson.

What are your expectations for NUFC next season?

If we stay up  :doubleact: after the last 18 months is it 40 points?  European qualification? Or are there any optimists that expect Champions League qualification once again?

89420[/snapback]

First things first, stay up.

With a manager who instilled confidence, a positive approach, knew what they were doing, and shifted the right players out with a few replacements, even if he has to balance the books, we should make the UEFA Cup.

As always an FA Cup run is a welcome bonus but we want to win it at last.

Getting back into the CL is a much taller order altogether, it could take a few years to get back to that, like it took Bobby Robson.

89575[/snapback]

What if we got Bellamy back? Champions?

With our financial situation the way it is, European football is a must and as long as we appoint a decent manager I don't see why it would be expecting too much to get it.

Beyond the current top five there are not other good squads in the league so I don't think it should take too much to get ahead of the likes of Bolton, Charlton, Citeh, Wigan and Blackburn.

Champions league is beyond us for a couple of seasons at least unless everything goes right. And by that I mean getting a top class manager and giving him a good amount to spend, keeping all of our best players, having no major injuries and getting the type of luck we used to under Sir Bobby.