Ashley & Rafa The Meeting

trooper

Obviously Rafa's never going to get everything he wants/needs with Ashley in charge. But Rafa's now a free agent (June 30th) he says he can see the potential with the club something we've all known for years, the clubs a "Sleeping Giant"  Its now a case of is Ashley prepared to write in a contract for Rafa that he shares his ambitions for the club. Will he support Rafa's dream of winning trophies again ? I can't see Rafa accepting  anything less than written confirmation that Ashley shares his ambitions.  We've now reached brinkmanship between Rafa & Ashley with imo Rafa having the upper hand. Are we coming to the end of a chapter were we have to say adios to Rafa ? Or will Ashley finally realise what he's got with Rafa. Knowing the bastard Ashley is I think he'll let Rafa walk away. If that happens it'll be a very  sad day on Tyneside & I would hope to see Ashley get a deserved backlash from the fans & the media. So what's your gut feeling will Rafa stay or go ?

I think he'll stay. I really don't think he wants to go and if he can just extract a commitment from Ashley for spending, it doesn't matter if they share the same vision or not. If he gets a commitment that he thinks he can make work, then he'll stay even if Ashley doesn't give a fuck where we finish. £50m a season maybe?

Dunno, sounds alright to me if added to the young player development/sell plan. Even in this day and age. How many PL clubs are exceeding £50m net spend season on season?

Just now, Rayvin said:

I think he'll stay. I really don't think he wants to go and if he can just extract a commitment from Ashley for spending, it doesn't matter if they share the same vision or not. If he gets a commitment that he thinks he can make work, then he'll stay even if Ashley doesn't give a fuck where we finish. £50m a season maybe?

It's not just about the money Ray. Rafa's stated him & his team (backroom staff) want to win trophies. He doesn't want to be just surviving in the premiership it's not enough for him

I know but... I mean maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I reckon with investment over a few years and Rafa continuing to develop the team, we could get into a position to win things.

Not the League, but a trophy maybe. And if there's any logic in Ashleys mind he'll be aware that £50m a season, paid for by TV money, is worth it compared to risking a loss of £100m every time we go down.

I'm just going to hope.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Dunno, sounds alright to me if added to the young player development/sell plan. Even in this day and age. How many PL clubs are exceeding £50m net spend season on season?

But for us we dont get £50 million worth of players as we have to factor in agents fees & whole of the players contract wage bill. On that basis £50 million will probably buy 2 £10 million players it's not much really

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ten PL clubs this season had a net spend of at least £46m. That doesn't include Man City, Man U or Spurs who all had unusually quiet seasons on the transfer front.

So I'd say it's the going rate for anyone hoping not to be in a relegation battle.

Edited by ewerk

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Ten PL clubs this season had a net spend of at least £46m. That doesn't include Man City, Man U or Spurs who all had unusually quiet seasons on the transfer front.

So I'd say it's the going rate for anyone hoping not to be in a relegation battle.

Maybe he can secure a percentage of revenue then. Either way, I'm going to remain optimistic because I think he wants to stay. Its not like it'll be the first time I'm wrong if it turns out that Ashley's cuntery gets the better of his dubious business acumen.

i'm sure rafa wants to stay, and that ashley will contrive to fuck it up. 

it genuinely feels like we've got something to build on, doesn't it? new contracts for rafa, rondon, perez and two or three astute signings and we can suddenly start to look forward to the new season. if rafa walks, everything will turn sour. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashley's got a bet on how many will turn up at SJP next season if he dispenses Rafa. Also if Rafa's allowed to leave it'll be his revenge for Rafa being popular with the fans & for the FCB song. I think he's really that thin skinned & spiteful. 

10 minutes ago, trooper said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashley's got a bet on how many will turn up at SJP next season if he dispenses Rafa. Also if Rafa's allowed to leave it'll be his revenge for Rafa being popular with the fans & for the FCB song. I think he's really that thin skinned & spiteful. 

Bit niche that, request-a-bet?

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wasn’t there something about planned work on the training ground going around recently? That, more than anything else, is a positive indicator Rafa might stay considering its the one thing he’s been pushing for heavily.

They probably bought a new paddling pool.

• Haha 1