Ashley & Rafa The Meeting

trooper

My base line expectation is that Rafa will leave because we won’t be in to sign anybody decent, including Rondon. There will be a dirty media campaign in the face of fan protests, with unattributed quotes from club sources citing Rafa’s unreasonable demands and implying that he was far too greedy. Everyone from the club will be on holiday for ages.

Eventually we will replace Rafa with a hasbeen/wannabee, too late in the day to sign anyone but some free transfers or loanees, with Rafa being blamed for ruining the club’s transfer window. The club will be in the relegation places come xmas at which point Ashley will finally throw some cash at transfers in a bid to stave off relegation and fan protests. Nobody who’s any good will be available or want to sign.

A long relegation battle will follow with Rafas replacement being sacked after the transfer window closes and an improvement in results fails to appear.

Anything better than this and I’ll be chuffed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/18/2019 at 14:05, trooper said:

Its Charnley though mate he'll still have to run everything past his master he wouldn't dare  make a decision by himself. 

Charnley doesn't need to make a decision. He'll know what Ashley will and won't budge on. The sticking points are going to be Benitez' salary, it'll be contract length. It'll be how much control he has over transfers. It'll be knowing exactly what he's got to work with, rather than a drawn out process of misdirection and obfuscation. 

The club knows what it'll get regardless of their final position from the Premier League 19/20 season. They know what the minimum they'll get from being on tv 0 to 10 games (we've consistently been closer to 20, than 10). They know the minimum they'll get from sponsors. Average gates. Average merchandising and so on. That should give them a pretty good idea of what money they've got coming into the club. Plus transfer fees, which are fairly unpredictable. Plus extra tv, sponsor, prize monies. They should be able to say to Benitez "We're getting in x, we've set aside y to pay for costs and improvements, you get z for players".

10 hours ago, The Fish said:

They should be able to say to Benitez "We're getting in x, we've set aside y to pay for costs and improvements, you get z for players".

... but won't :( 

Charnley's probably forgotten that he's meant to be dealing with this man, you have to give enough time for someone from Rafa's side to send a polite reminder or two before we'll see any real progress.

The fact that his contract wasn’t tied up long ago says everything about the way these cunts operate. The best you can say about it is its brinkmanship which is a stupid way to go on with what should a precious asset

9 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I kind of hope he leaves and the shit hits the fan. Any agreement to stay will be with heavy compromise from Rafa and devoid of any true ambition

You know & I know,  no matter what the outcome of this SJP will have 50,000+ first home game of the season 

I think Ashley knows exactly what he wants, and knows exactly what he is prepared to give, and how much of a compromise he will make.

I think Benitez knows exactly what he wants, and knows exactly how much of a compromise he will make.

I think if a compromise is accomplished reasonably satisfactorily, Rafa will stay but not be satisfied with the outcome.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/rafael-benitez-mike-ashley-newcastle-transfer-policy-salomon-rondon-juan-mata

Any finalisation of an agreement is expected to be prefaced by Ashley meeting Benítez in person for a second time and providing written guarantees of all promises. While the owner is prepared to offer his manager a sizeable transfer budget – £50m plus any cash raised from player sales next season has been mentioned – Benítez would like increased freedom to sign players aged over 25 in addition to flexibility over the wage bill.

Benítez had hoped to persuade Ashley to embark on a major overhaul of Newcastle’s training ground but seems prepared to compromise and postpone such a revamp.

Edited by Rayvin

As we’ve said ad nauseam any transfer budget has to price in cost of wages whereas any player sales ignores the wages saved by the player leaving. So 50 mill is not 50 mill going towards a players purchase cost. It’s not a lot in todays market.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kitman said:

As we’ve said ad nauseam any transfer budget has to price in cost of wages whereas any player sales ignores the wages saved by the player leaving. So 50 mill is not 50 mill going towards a players purchase cost. It’s not a lot in todays market.

Does at least sound like it's £50m net on top of anything he gets for players like Perez.

If this is all the club is prepared to do then so be it, but it's a more generous offer than I can recall seeing from them at any previous point, so it does at least suggest they're making some kind of effort.

I'm still hopeful that he'll stay.

Ashley is fucking pathetic. How much would upgrading the training facilities cost? The club definitely generates enough to fund something like that ffs. 

I’ve also never understood the no players over 25 rule, I know it’s aimed at getting youngsters in cheap and selling at a profit but there are plenty of examples of players joining clubs at 26 or 27 and going for a profit later on. It’s also completely ignoring the bigger picture, Rondon helped us stay in the division which has brought in a lot of money, it’s not just about sell on price ffs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Howay said:

Ashley is fucking pathetic. How much would upgrading the training facilities cost? The club definitely generates enough to fund something like that ffs. 

I’ve also never understood the no players over 25 rule, I know it’s aimed at getting youngsters in cheap and selling at a profit but there are plenty of examples of players joining clubs at 26 or 27 and going for a profit later on. It’s also completely ignoring the bigger picture, Rondon helped us stay in the division which has brought in a lot of money, it’s not just about sell on price ffs. 

Stop talking common sense - Ashley doesn't understand the concept :) 

• Haha 1

It makes perfect sense if instead of NUFC you imagine you’re running a small sports shop in maidenhead.

Buy cheap, sell high! Don’t buy old stock! Do up the shop next year! Don’t give the staff a raise! Anyone can run the shop!

Edited by Kitman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Howay said:

Listen, it’s been possible  to have good season with the current set up. There also has never been a player turning us down because of the training complex. Would Messi turn us down because of the facilities? Did that cunt Dele Alli prefer Spurs because of the training ground? See, there are enough other good reasons to reject a move here. Ambition for example.

• Haha 1

Day 7 & nothing, it really should have been a formality. The longer it drags on the more I think Ashley wants rid of Rafa. It really does show what Ashley thinks of Rafa when he's left it to Charnley to sort it out.

I can’t decide wether the silence from both the Ashley and Rafa camps is a good or a bad thing. In the past when it hasn’t been going well between them we have seen leaks to the press from Rafas side pretty consistently regarding transfers and such but part of me thinks that if he were to already have decided that he was going to leave he would probably keep quiet until he’s actually gone.. fuck that fat curry loving cockney cunt his band of merry arse licking bandits for making me so cynical and untrustworthy of my football club. It’s sad what he’s done to us.

1 minute ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I reckon it's all agreed and signed, Fat Mike and Rafa are off grid on a mad one in Ibiza celebrating. 

One video from Ibiza I certainly would not want to see...