The Value of Managers

Rayvin

Ok so, I was snooping around Red Cafe earlier to see if there was any undercurrent of support for Solskjaer being replaced by Benitez, and I came across a thread that I thought was possibly worth of some discussion. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/what-is-the-transfer-value-of-a-manager.448042/

So ok, managers typically cost less and are paid less than players. That's a given. But you get a manager like Benitez, and he's worth far more to the team than any individual player. It's curious that this isn't reflected in contracts and approximate value.

Are managers undervalued in general? I know they all do very well out of all of this regardless, so I'm not trying to drum up sympathy, but I thought it was an interesting point. Would you choose any single player in our team over and above Benitez? I wouldn't.

You’ve got to look at Rafa’s age and sell-on value before coming up with a value. 

( Also, wages throughout the contract need to be in the price). 

Innit, you Fackin Norvern Mahnkeys ;)

• Haha 2

Managers are hugely undervalued imo. Like him or loathe him Warnock delivered Premier League promotion on a shoestring and that season was worth c£100m! 

Solskjaer has hundreds of millions of pounds "worth" of talent at his disposal and yet he's unlikely to deliver any kind of success in his presumably short tenure as Man Utd boss. It would cost fuck all to sack him now, and what, £20m to break Pochettino's contract? But rather than do that, they'll five times that on players and more on wages and agents. 

• Like 1