Transfer gossip 2019/20

Dr Gloom

On 1/30/2020 at 23:11, Kid Dynamite said:

Last line. No. 

But, for the umpteenth time, I'm not the one twisting on at you about it. You fucking moan every time I dare to have any enjoyment from the club. You do you, ill do me, and we will both be happy ;)

:icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Summer 1997 has to go down as one of our worst transfer windows in history mind

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/transfers/verein/762/plus/0?saison_id=1997&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=s

Sold Ginola, Ferdinand, Beardsley and Elliott.

Replaced them with Rush, Barnes, Pearce, Ketsbaia, Tomasson, Pinas, Hamilton and Pistone.

We also signed Speed and Given but fuck me, we destroyed that team in the space of 6 weeks 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

Speed was a deadline signing later in the season anyway wasn’t he? And while he later turned out to be a great signing, Dalglish played him in the left side of midfield (of course he did). The daft thing is at the end of the previous season Dalglish had stumbled upon a system that worked with Tino, Shearer and Sir Les all playing in a 4-3-3. So he scrapped it (of course he did). 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Alex said:

Speed was a deadline signing later in the season anyway wasn’t he? And while he later turned out to be a great signing, Dalglish played him in the left side of midfield (of course he did). The daft thing is at the end of the previous season Dalglish had stumbled upon a system that worked with Tino, Shearer and Sir Les all playing in a 4-3-3. So he scrapped it (of course he did). 

you mean round about this time?..... 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Summer 1997 has to go down as one of our worst transfer windows in history mind

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/transfers/verein/762/plus/0?saison_id=1997&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=s

Sold Ginola, Ferdinand, Beardsley and Elliott.

Replaced them with Rush, Barnes, Pearce, Ketsbaia, Tomasson, Pinas, Hamilton and Pistone.

We also signed Speed and Given but fuck me, we destroyed that team in the space of 6 weeks 

Kenny Dalglish set us back years.

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

you mean round about this time?..... 

KK was still manager then I think and we didn’t sign Shearer until the following summer? That was the match when we had about 30 efforts on goal iirc. 

I was thinking of the run of results we had that included Elliot scoring the winner away to Arsenal in a midfield role and the season ended with us thrashing already relegated Forest at home. 

9 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

If anyone on here has an ounce of sympathy for Big Joe because he’s been moved from his natural position of playing on the left to centre forward,think back to the decent job Barnes did when he was also moved from wide left to centre forward . Barnes just got on with it.

That was probably his best position by that stage but you’re correct about him doing a decent job there. Rush, on the other hand, was absolutely finished 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

KK was still manager then I think and we didn’t sign Shearer until the following summer? That was the match when we had about 30 efforts on goal iirc. 

I was thinking of the run of results we had that included Elliot scoring the winner away to Arsenal in a midfield role and the season ended with us thrashing already relegated Forest at home. 

You're right. I was at the Arsenal game when Elliot got the winner and virtually guaranteed us second and champions league the next season 👍

Just now, PaddockLad said:

You're right. I was at the Arsenal game when Elliot got the winner and virtually guaranteed us second and champions league the next season 👍

It was West Ham (away) I think that finally put paid to out outside chance of winning the league. 0-0 draw? Watched it in some bar in town I seem to remember. I think it was our third from last game. If we’d won, then beat Man Utd away (we ended up drawing 1-1 or 0-0 there too I think) we only have needed to beat Forest to win the league. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

aye, definitely not because sir les was still wearing number 9

• Like 2

what a team that was. what a manager. what a fucking joy it was to support them in the mid 90s. the kids who have grown up today only knowing the shell of a club we have become under ashley have no clue, the poor buggers 

• Like 1

I had a slightly unpopular view on that game - the football was fantastic but I reckon scoring "only" 3 goals out of 30 attempts was a shocking indictment of the strike force :)

• Like 1