Rafa Gone

Kid Dynamite

He’s a actually way better than the type of no mark manager I was expecting and he’ll be inheriting a good defence. He’ll just need to buy an entirely new midfield and strikers with no money so naturally I expect him to jump at the offer.

Weren't Barcelona looking at Martinez not long ago, or was that just tabloid nonsense? :lol:

Never rated him very highly but the first season of him being here might be ok, since Rafa's defensive discipline will still permeate through the squad. Year 2 is where the wheels will come off.

• 1 month later...

People in Newcastle have been talking about my decision to move to China without knowing what happened behind the scenes during my three years at St James’ Park.

I haven’t wanted to say too much about that — I’ve encouraged supporters to get behind Steve Bruce and his new team — but I’ve been made aware of what Lee Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director, claimed in the club’s match programme last weekend and I think it’s important I address that.

I tried to do my best every day, even staying when we went down to the Championship and saying no to other offers — bigger offers than the one I recently accepted with Dalian Yifang, by the way. If I was only interested in moving “for money”, as Charnley stated, I could have done it much earlier.

Over my long career, and especially in my time at Newcastle, I’ve always shown commitment to my club, its city and its community and I’ve done it with professionalism and honesty.

Newcastle’s board had a year to sort out my contract but, when we met after the end of last season, they didn’t make me an offer I could accept. They told me they didn’t want to invest in the academy or the training ground — if they like, I can explain the reason why Mike Ashley refused to do that. Their idea of a project was a policy of signing players under 24 and, in my opinion, the budget available was not enough to compete for the top 10.

After that meeting, I knew they would not come back with a serious offer and, when it arrived, 19 days later, it was for the same salary as three years earlier and with less control over signings. Charnley’s comments in the programme about having a deal agreed for Joelinton in February explains a lot that I couldn’t understand at that time.

After three years of unfulfilled promises, I didn’t trust them.

When we finished 10th in the Premier League in our first season back, all players and staff were paid a bonus — aside from my coaching team. That felt like a punishment for me not signing an extension.

So, by the end, I knew there would not be a proper offer and they knew I was not signing.

couldn’t explain that in public because I was not allowed to talk to the press without their permission, so I was waiting until late June, like every fan, hoping there would be good news about Newcastle’s prospective takeover.

On Sunday morning, I switched on my television in Dalian and there was a documentary about Alan Shearer being shown. Can you believe that? It’s true.

I saw joy in the faces of Newcastle fans after every goal. I didn’t need the reminder, because I was there so recently, there with all my heart, but it made me think again about that history and potential. And it made me consider something else: what would an 18-year-old Newcastle supporter think about his club now?’

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Ant said:

Sums up what anyone with a shred of sense assumed was the case

Yep. Keegan all over again. This is why we can only attract the likes of Bruce to the job. People talk to each other in football and Rafa will be telling people not to touch is with a barge pole 

It does seem rather contradictory that Ashley has put the emphasis on signing young players with a view to increasing their resale values yet refuses to facilitate that improvement with any investment in the training ground, academy or manager.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Is it just me or does Rafa sound like he's threatening to drop a bombshell about Ashley's reasons for not developing the training ground/academy if the club don't behave?

Definitely and an educated guess would be the fact the club no longer owns the training facilities, Ashley has siphoned them off to a separate company and it's another of the many sticking points for any potential buyer.

Just a guess.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It does seem rather contradictory that Ashley has put the emphasis on signing young players with a view to increasing their resale values yet refuses to facilitate that improvement with any investment in the training ground, academy or manager.

Don’t worry he’ll eventually get the hang of this football lark...

Edited by Isegrim
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Definitely and an educated guess would be the fact the club no longer owns the training facilities, Ashley has siphoned them off to a separate company and it's another of the many sticking points for any potential buyer.

Just a guess.

There's nothing in the accounts to suggest that he's already done that but it could be something he's planning.

16 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Is it just me or does Rafa sound like he's threatening to drop a bombshell about Ashley's reasons for not developing the training ground/academy if the club don't behave?

aye, and by god i hope he does.

i asked some loaded questions to keegan from the audience at a talk in to promote his new book at the back end of last year and felt he was quite guarded in his answers. i queued for an eternity at the book signing and again tried plying him for more information, very amiable but again there was reluctance to go in to depth regarding ashley so i don't doubt there's credence in disclosure rumours following his constructive dismissal case.

i'd be surprised if they had any real powers to gag benitez and from what was, to me at least, a rather disappointing official statement when he left , i'd imagine the more they try to tarnish his reputation the more he'll come out fighting. could get entertaining.

you'd think they'd be loathe to do that, however recent history suggests the majority of our current match day supporters are brain dead, moronic halfwits and he has a whole host subservient pundits and media outlets as well as the local press on his side.

it's obviously a battle  ashley is confident of winning.

56 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Sign a good young player, sell them on for a profit in a season or two at the most. Or that’s the plan. The other things require time, knowledge, long term investment, giving a fuck about the club beyond making money, etc. Basically he’s never shown any interest beyond getting through the season at hand. He’ll never change 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

aye, and by god i hope he does.

i asked some loaded questions to keegan from the audience at a talk in to promote his new book at the back end of last year and felt he was quite guarded in his answers. i queued for an eternity at the book signing and again tried plying him for more information, very amiable but again there was reluctance to go in to depth regarding ashley so i don't doubt there's credence in disclosure rumours following his constructive dismissal case.

i'd be surprised if they had any real powers to gag benitez and from what was, to me at least, a rather disappointing official statement when he left , i'd imagine the more they try to tarnish his reputation the more he'll come out fighting. could get entertaining.

you'd think they'd be loathe to do that, however recent history suggests the majority of our current match day supporters are brain dead, moronic halfwits and he has a whole host subservient pundits and media outlets as well as the local press on his side.

it's obviously a battle  ashley is confident of winning.

I was talking to some fans on Sunday who actually believed the owners version of events. 

43 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was talking to some fans on Sunday who actually believed the owners version of events. 

As long as there are these numpties around they will always get away with everything and will be able to successfully run the club just as it pleases them.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

i think the quote at the end is equally as poignant...

" what would an 18-year-old Newcastle supporter think about his club now?"

tragically they've been well and truly programmed to believe we're unable to compete with behemoths of english football such as bournemouth, watford, southampton etc, we're in our rightful place.

what's more tragic is the parents/grandparents who funded their newcastle childhood and who themselves experienced the club as it could be, continue to fund ashley and ensure that this generation will never see a competitive club or get the opportunity to see us play in some of the finest cities and stadiums in europe.

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

People talk to each other in football and Rafa will be telling people not to touch is with a barge pole 

I’ve been told by someone I fully believe that he’s been doing exactly that. The rumours about him speaking to Vieira and Arteta are true, it put Vieira off but Arteta still wanted to come but couldn’t get the coaches he wanted to come with him. I also heard he spoke to some of our transfer targets one of them was a full back from France who was supposedly close to signing then opted out. 

No surprise mind, you can’t treat someone like shit for 3 years and expect them to act in your interest. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Probably more to do with the £120mil TV money than the £15mil or so gate receipts. What was it you said about cognitive dissonance again....

He was probably more bothered by the press and bad pr of an empty sjp than the £15m. Luckily he's off the hook though so all good.