Where Now?

wykikitoon

24 minutes ago, strawb said:

Was it Derby who finished a season with 15 points?

Have us down to beat that 

12 - 15 was the previous Mackem record. 

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Was it Derby who finished a season with 15 points?

Have us down to beat that 

Derby fan here, but I've followed the fortunes of Newcastle as a second team since I was a kid due to other family members from up your way.

Our record was 11 points. The most embarrassing thing about that record for you is that we only won one game all season and it was against you. Newcastle were the only team not to beat us at least once that season and we took four of our eleven points from you lads. We had hope Huddersfield were going to beat it last year, but they managed to just scrape over the points total. We've got some other records if you want to try and take some of them though - fewest number of wins (home, away and total), most consecutive games without a win (its 32, but technically we could still continue that record if we ever get promoted again), most defeats, fewest goals scored, most goals conceded, worst goal difference and fewest clean sheets. 

I don't think you will be in danger of beating it - we basically didn't buy any players after fluking our way to promotion with a lunatic manager and had just been purchased by a bunch of con artists (most of whom are now in prison) for £1 who sold all our "best" players for a handful of magic beans. You've got the selling all your best players and not buying anyone parts sorted, but I think you should be competitive even with Bruce as manager. Having said that I don't think you will stay up if the squad stays as is. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Our record was 11 points. The most embarrassing thing about that record for you is that we only won one game all season and it was against you. Newcastle were the only team not to beat us at least once that season and we took four of our eleven points from you lads.

You can thank Sam Allardyce for those points. Those two matches epitomised his tenure here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Derby fan here, but I've followed the fortunes of Newcastle as a second team since I was a kid due to other family members from up your way.

Our record was 11 points. The most embarrassing thing about that record for you is that we only won one game all season and it was against you. Newcastle were the only team not to beat us at least once that season and we took four of our eleven points from you lads. We had hope Huddersfield were going to beat it last year, but they managed to just scrape over the points total. We've got some other records if you want to try and take some of them though - fewest number of wins (home, away and total), most consecutive games without a win (its 32, but technically we could still continue that record if we ever get promoted again), most defeats, fewest goals scored, most goals conceded, worst goal difference and fewest clean sheets. 

I don't think you will be in danger of beating it - we basically didn't buy any players after fluking our way to promotion with a lunatic manager and had just been purchased by a bunch of con artists (most of whom are now in prison) for £1 who sold all our "best" players for a handful of magic beans. You've got the selling all your best players and not buying anyone parts sorted, but I think you should be competitive even with Bruce as manager. Having said that I don't think you will stay up if the squad stays as is. 

I was at both games. Still scarred. Sam set us up for a draw home & away. Wasn't as bad as Wigan away on Boxing day that season though. Wasn't going back after that. Then He got the sack :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

next up, a nice day out at tottenham.

we'll definitely get nil.

be rock bottom.

and the potential is very much there to be on a minus double figures goal difference unless the spurs players get bored.

Im going :lol:

Only to keep a sad new ground box ticker company and meeting an old mate pre match who doesn’t get to many games any more because he’s now one of the UKs leading chicken farmers :) 

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Only to keep a sad new ground box ticker company and meeting an old mate pre match who doesn’t get to many games any more because he’s now one of the UKs leading chicken farmers :) 

gutted for you.

think you'll either need to be someone who's very philosophical about humiliation or have a very good sense of humour!

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Bootiful. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Spurs will be the kind of side who’ll score 3 or 4 and then ease off. It’s Man City who will get double figures.

if spurs can't be arsed, liverpool will beat man city to handing out the absolute mullering.

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

gutted for you.

think you'll either need to be someone who's very philosophical about humiliation or have a very good sense of humour!

The ground anorak is the most placid and reasonable fucker I’ve ever met. We went to Hibs pre season (another  ✅  for him) and we’re going Sunday then after that even he’s giving up. 350 loyalty points. The chicken farmer I can’t say too much about as he’s usually under investigation by at least two different county constabularies simultaneously ;)

We’ve got midweek always v Everton & Sheff Utd pre Christmas. We might “get the band back together” for them but that depends we look like beating Derby’s 11 points or not..

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

There’s no doubt we’ll get our arse handed to us . To think we were miles ahead of them pre Ashley.

remember putting 7 past spurs and keegan being gutted on gerry francis's behalf?

seems like a fucking life time a go.

47 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

It is worth remembering before everyone wets the bed that they didn't win a game until November last season.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-20-at-22-46-24.png

Last season we had a coach who has won La Liga twice, the UEFA Cup, The champions league, the FA cup, the europa league and the italian cup before coming here as well as winning the championship as our manager. It was reasonable to give him the time to turn things around, his record speaks volumes.

This season we have a coach who has won nothing, for all hes had teams promoted hes never even won the championship. It is not reasonable to expect that he is capable of turning this around.

• Like 2

On 18/08/2019 at 03:25, PaddockLad said:

The beer being poured through the bottom of the pint glass is likely to be the highlight of your day out 

On 8/18/2019 at 02:41, Tom said:

There’s no doubt we’ll get our arse handed to us . To think we were miles ahead of them pre Ashley.

We most certainly will if Bruce continues with his 3-5-2 that flopped big-time at Norwich.

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Last season we had a coach who has won La Liga twice, the UEFA Cup, The champions league, the FA cup, the europa league and the italian cup before coming here as well as winning the championship as our manager. It was reasonable to give him the time to turn things around, his record speaks volumes.

This season we have a coach who has won nothing, for all hes had teams promoted hes never even won the championship. It is not reasonable to expect that he is capable of turning this around.

It was still a terrible start regardless of his previous record. OBVIOUSLY there is a difference in managers but my point stands, it's early days. Don't forget that Rafa's teams in the league went long spells without a win and people were worried. Even the season we finished 10th they struggled for a big part of it, losing 5 out of the last 6. Like I say, it will be a long season.