This is the news!

Anorthernsoul

Less than a month after claiming “cancel culture will kill comedy”, Maureen Lipman is now having a pop at Helen Mirren for playing Golda Meir in an upcoming film, Lipman saying that it’s wrong because Mirren isn’t Jewish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59878356

My cured pork senses are tingling here- by her rationale, the bloke she uses as an example, Ben Kingsley, shouldn’t have played Gandhi, because Kingsley is a Quaker and Gandhi was Hindu. 
Rami Malek, the American Egyptian heterosexual Coptic Christian shouldn’t have played Freddie Mercury, the Zanzibari homosexual Zoroastrian. 
Daniel Day-Lewis the English Protestant/Jewish able-bodied lad shouldn’t have played Christy Brown, the Irish Catholic Disabled lad, not to mention Gerry Conlon. 

My point being her argument is fucking nonsense- acting is supposed to people playing characters that they aren’t. 

Tell me why I’m wrong. 

( Is this how I do it Asprilla?) :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Less than a month after claiming “cancel culture will kill comedy”, Maureen Lipman is now having a pop at Helen Mirren for playing Golda Meir in an upcoming film, Lipman saying that it’s wrong because Mirren isn’t Jewish

My cured pork senses are tingling here- by her rationale, the bloke she uses as an example, Ben Kingsley, shouldn’t have played Gandhi, because Kingsley is a Quaker and Gandhi was Hindu. 
Rami Malek, the American Egyptian heterosexual Coptic Christian shouldn’t have played Freddie Mercury, the Zanzibari homosexual Zoroastrian. 
Daniel Day-Lewis the English Protestant/Jewish able-bodied lad shouldn’t have played Christy Brown, the Irish Catholic Disabled lad, not to mention Gerry Conlon. 

My point being her argument is fucking nonsense- acting is supposed to people playing characters that they aren’t. 

Tell me why I’m wrong. 

Oh, so you're saying Mickey Rooney nailed Mr Yunioshi?! 

13 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Tell me why I’m wrong. 

CaNT wAiT lIKe for BiLlY PoRTer tO Be NexT JaMes BoND lIke 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

CaNT wAiT lIKe for BiLlY PoRTer tO Be NexT JaMes BoND lIke 

Or Billie Piper, just to see how that goes down with Lozza Fox 

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Tell me why I’m wrong. 

the authenticity debate in hollywood is hand-wringing nonsense. it's acting, like you say - people playing characters they aren't - isn't that the whole point of the craft? 

why shouldn't a gay actor play a straight part, or a straight actor be cast as a gay person? there is a grey area though.

blacking up is out. we accept that. ben kingley wouldn't be cast to play gandhi today.

david baddiel makes the point in his brilliant polemic jews don't count that there is a hierarchy of racism and prejudice, of which jews reside near the bottom. there has been a lot of chatter about gay or trans characters requiring gay or trans actors, but this is the first time i've heard a prominent jew make this point. i think she's wrong fwiw. 

• Like 1

Agree with all points above, however, Ben Kingsley probably could still play Gandhi as his real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji, since his Dad was Gujarati. 

He’s got no chance at Mandela though :lol:

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Agree with all points above, however, Ben Kingsley probably could still play Gandhi as his real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji, since his Dad was Gujarati. 

He’s got no chance at Mandela though :lol:

you're right.

i always thought he was a brit of jewish heritage but a quick scan of his wiki page shows how wrong i was:

Kingsley stated in 1994, "I'm not Jewish, and though there might be some Russian-Jewish heritage way back on my mother's side, the thread is so fine there's no real evidence."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20220106-113825_Google.thumb.jpg.9b5ce947950b7cf78dbda4a9ff43a1d1.jpg

"The fuck you say?!" 

:lol:

I actually know this lad- Yitzhak Bernstein, played for Sacred Heart u13s. 

Poor kid got loads of stick at school ‘cos his Dad was Welsh. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

the authenticity debate in hollywood is hand-wringing nonsense. it's acting, like you say - people playing characters they aren't - isn't that the whole point of the craft? 

why shouldn't a gay actor play a straight part, or a straight actor be cast as a gay person? there is a grey area though.

blacking up is out. we accept that. ben kingley wouldn't be cast to play gandhi today.

david baddiel makes the point in his brilliant polemic jews don't count that there is a hierarchy of racism and prejudice, of which jews reside near the bottom. there has been a lot of chatter about gay or trans characters requiring gay or trans actors, but this is the first time i've heard a prominent jew make this point. i think she's wrong fwiw. 

In the Marvel films (SHUT THE FUCK UP, EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU) basement dwellers were in a tizz because Idris Elba a black man from Hackney played Heimdall, a mythical watchman of the Norse pantheon. They cried because Tilda Swinton, a posh white woman from London played "The Ancient One", a problematic depiction of wizard from the Himalayan region of Asia. 

What in the fuck are they moaning about? It's a comic book character, it doesn't matter what colour they are, they're fucking wizards and gods. 

The same people aren't banging on the door of Churches demanding the shredded 6' white guy from Cambridge is taken off the cross and replaced by a short guy from Canaan.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

The same people aren't banging on the door of Churches demanding the shredded 6' white guy from Cambridge is taken off the cross and replaced by a short guy from Canaan.

Because they understand that using “guy” will result in a swift kick in the minge 

• Haha 2

On 05/01/2022 at 21:08, Monkeys Fist said:

Tell me why I’m wrong. 

I’m not really sure if you think she’s right or wrong 😑 

if you think she’s wrong then, yes, that’s how you do it

24 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Pretty clear I’d have thought?

Well yes, that bit was… but the reference to me suggested that *wasn’t* how you did it… plus it’s Saturday morning and I’m easily confused on a Saturday morning