arsenal non attendance

thebrokendoll

Empty For Ashley...

We have now been told by two separate club sources (both stewards) that today’s attendance was actually around 42,000.

Club figure bumped up to over 47,000 as it includes season ticket holders regardless of whether they attended or not. Over 5,000 ST holders may have boycotted!

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Buying a season ticket and boycotting is like crashing the car you just bought to piss off the dealership. 

Yeah I dont get it Alex, if people are boycotting why give Ashley your money ? It makes no sense. It seemed like the vocal section boycotted yesterday as there were no FCB chants.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Buying a season ticket and boycotting is like crashing the car you just bought to piss off the dealership. 

I am not sure. I think the deadline for renewals did play a part. There probably were people who reluctantly did renew as they were hoping for a takeover and couldn’t know about Bruce getting the job. They were lured into renewing by the PR tactics of the club, meaning not giving any clue about what’s happening for a long time during the close season.

Without getting into the naivety required to believe Ashley again and the arbitrary nature of such a deadline the point is a short term symbolic gesture is likely to achieve fuck all. The second you buy a season ticket you lose all leverage and give your tacit approval to the owner, whether you like it or not. I can understand people still wanting to go more than I can understand not going to a game you’ve paid for. 

I disagree, if more ST holders hadn't attended and idiots like J69 hadn't bought tickets it could have been used as proof of concept. A 35,000 crowd would have looked visibly different. This may have encouraged others to join in with boycotts in the future. It may also have shown some of the ST holders that there is life outside of SJP on a Saturday afternoon and given them more reason not to renew next season.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I disagree, if more ST holders hadn't attended and idiots like J69 hadn't bought tickets it could have been used as proof of concept. A 35,000 crowd would have looked visibly different. This may have encouraged others to join in with boycotts in the future. It may also have shown some of the ST holders that there is life outside of SJP on a Saturday afternoon and given them more reason not to renew next season.

A couple of poor results will probably result in attendances dropping further and to make a statement and increase public pressure I don’t think it is important if those staying away are occasional math day goers or season ticket holders.

If results are being positive the protests will likely fade out though ... again ...

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

If me Aunty had balls she'd be me Uncle

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

'How dare you say that if more people like me hadn't attended then there would have been less people there'.

It was the second part of your post I was referring to. 

Fwiw, during the 2009 relegation season we dropped 9000 fans week in, week out for 23 games. The media didn't care and Ashley didn't care. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It was the second part of your post I was referring to. 

Fwiw, during the 2009 relegation season we dropped 9000 fans week in, week out for 23 games. The media didn't care and Ashley didn't care. 

They didn’t care because it was in the second tier and therefore rather good considering what happened in the year before.

A drop in attendances in the top flight in the upcoming weeks would be something totally different.

3 hours ago, Isegrim said:

They didn’t care because it was in the second tier and therefore rather good considering what happened in the year before.

A drop in attendances in the top flight in the upcoming weeks would be something totally different.

It wouldn't though. It would be in the papers for a week or two, then it would become the norm. Ashley wouldn't give a flying fuck.

Also, why the fuck should NUFC fans have to give up the thing they love on a weekend because of that fat cunt

1 hour ago, Ant said:

because they don't hence all the whining, they're still going and whining about it

the lads who don't or stopped going can give off because they've had that particular joy spoiled/taken away, the guys still going at this stage 10 years into his tenure despite the multiple examples of what the treatment will be are idiots paying for the privilege.

And how many lads have actually stopped going over the last 10 years? We averaged 52k every game last season?

The reality is that when we are playing well and have a manager the fans like, people find a reason to go back. If the team clicks and we are top half by Xmas (big if) the ground will be full again.

Edited by Kid Dynamite

3 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

BeCaUsE iF tHeY kEeP pAyInG hIm He WiLl HaPpIlY sTaY aNd TaKe ThEiR mOnEy

No. The ground could be empty every week and he would still make £120mil TV money. Gate receipts really are a drop in the ocean to him. Bad PR is water off a ducks back to him.

Again, I'm not against boycotts. Each to their own. I genuinely don't think it will make him sell though. And getting arsey with people who have a differing opinion is a slippery slope. 

Ive seen us beat Man UTD and Man City. I saw us come back from 2-0 down against Everton. Some of the best games I've been to in years over the last 2 seasons. If I'm a day off and I can get a ticket for £25 or get offered a freebie I'll still be going. The fact that winds Thompers up is just a bonus tbh 

If I buy anything NUFC related I ensure I do it through a 3rd party, and when I'm at the ground I don't buy any mineral water ;)

Edited by Kid Dynamite

15 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

No. The ground could be empty every week and he would still make £120mil TV money. Gate receipts really are a drop in the ocean to him. Bad PR is water off a ducks back to him.

Again, I'm not against boycotts. Each to their own. I genuinely don't think it will make him sell though. And getting arsey with people who have a differing opinion is a slippery slope. 

Ive seen us beat Man UTD and Man City. I saw us come back from 2-0 down against Everton. Some of the best games I've been to in years over the last 2 seasons. If I'm a day off and I can get a ticket for £25 or get offered a freebie I'll still be going. The fact that winds Thompers up is just a bonus tbh 

If I buy anything NUFC related I ensure I do it through a 3rd party, and when I'm at the ground I don't buy any mineral water ;)

Apart from all the evidence to the contrary. 

Such as:-

Banning the chronicle

Hiring Keith bishop

Having people like Wise champion his cause whenever possible

Mute Rafa Benitez from saying stuff without clubs permission

Have players delete tweets that appear critical of him

Only doing 'interviews' where he isn't challenged

Spending £80m the season after the Spurs Boycott

All water off a ducks back though. Proper thick skinned. :CT: