Joelinton

wykikitoon

5 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

it all defies any kind of logic or reason.

there's absolutely fuck all to suggest from his previous clubs that an outlay of a fraction of £40m (i know) was warranted. 

no compettition for his signature.

who the fuck scouted him? was it nickson? has he been sacked?

seriously, what would be his sell on value as it stands?

we would've been infinitely better off going for lewis grabban, and i'm not even slightly taking the piss.

The club wanted to spend 40 million on an unproven foreign player no one else was in for far more than they wanted to keep Rafa. I think he left partly because this deal was happening and he couldn’t stop it. 40 million. That’s the key.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The club wanted to spend 40 million on an unproven foreign player no one else was in for far more than they wanted to keep Rafa. I think he left partly because this deal was happening and he couldn’t stop it. 40 million. That’s the key.  

i might be missing the glaringly obvious mate but i'm still not getting it.

benitez was out of contract anyway, they'd already pissed him off plenty of times previously and could've done so again without going to the supposed expensive of forking out £40m for a player he didn't rate.

fucking hell, they could've knocked a few noughts off the end and brought in charlie wyke, i'm sure that would've pissed off rafa too!

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If you think the deal was done because the club genuinely valued him at £40m then you’re a mug. There was much more going on.

i'm not sure if that was directed at me??

i don't think any fucker in their right mind would value him at that.

what astounds me is how it's not being investigated.

Living close to Hoffenheim and having watched Joelinton here in Germany I don’t think Joelinton is as bad as it does seem at the moment. But we certainly did pay a lot more than we should have paid and it does prove Rafa right that he didn’t want to sign him for this amount of money.

On the other hand I do think that a different manager would be able to get more out of him. He is certainly not a player suited to our hoofball tactics and the positions he is asked to play in.

• Like 1

He looks a different player here. Being asked to play as a target man for 6 months has left him bereft of confidence. 

Edit: Although in that entire video I'm yet to see him lace a shot. For a bloke as big as him he should be able to take the leather off the ball

Edited by Kid Dynamite

29 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Living close to Hoffenheim....

have you noticed anybody driving around in a brand new ferrari who 5 months ago had a knackered mk1 polo?

maybe someone who in july lived in a hoffenheim bedsit and now has a castle in bavaria?

do hoffenheim fc have a couple of brand new stands this season?

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Ah the YouTube highlight reel. Now do Sholas.

Well I could dig out some 90minute Hoffenheim games if you would prefer to analyse his pre-NUFC game and contrast with that shitshow today?

Have a day off eh?

Rondon was treated like a backboard for Newcastle attacks last season, the focal point for the team. Joelinton, meanwhile, was the quintessential modern-day No.9 for the Germans; he dropped deep, drifted into wide areas and linked play. 

The 22-year-old could do what Rondon did at St James’ Park but it’d be a waste of his talent. Unless the Magpies dramatically change their style, Joelinton would be limited at St James’ Park. He’d be much better suited playing for Wolves. He’s near-identical to Jiménez and he’s six-years his junior. His arrival future proofs the style Nuno is looking to use. It frees the club of their over-reliance on the Mexico international, too. 

The best way to protect Jiménez is to sign a forward who can deputise for him when needed. That can be Joelinton. 

While he is no means prolific, the Brazilian is a real handful and Wolves be hard-pressed to find someone with a stronger claim to being Jiménez’s doppelgänger. 

The Wolves forward tends to have more touches on the right, primarily because Diogo Jota drifts to the left. Joelinton’s touch map isn’t too dissimilar. The Mexico international enjoyed a stellar debut season in England and finished with 0.37 goals and 0.20 assists per 90.

He slightly edged ahead of the Brazilian in terms of goals and was just 0.01 behind him with assists. Again, though, eerily similar.

Both forwards have a fair number of touches in the penalty area and they both average over two shots per 90. Joelinton’s X-factor, what differentiates him from Jiménez, is his ball-carrying ability. 

He slaloms past people with nimble footwork despite his big frame; it’s not too dissimilar to how Roberto Firmino shifts through the gears. And in many ways, his style mimics the Liverpool No.9. They both do a lot of their work off of the ball and neither are what you’d describe as a potent threat. But what they bring to a team can’t always be quantified – such as creating space, closing passing lanes and being a general nuisance.

That type of player often thrives in England. The fact he’s a hybrid between Firmino and Jiménez just increases the likelihood that he’d excel in the Premier League. 

Playing under the exciting Julian Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim, he emerged as one of the Bundesliga’s breakout stars last season. He is a player with a well-rounded profile. Of the 11 goals he scored last season, four were with his right, four with his left and three with his head. He is a dangerous player in the penalty area for sure, but slightly differently to Salomón Rondón. Joelinton is less of an out-and-out target-man type striker.

With Hoffenheim, he often started games as a centre-forward before dropping into a deeper role behind Andrej Kramarić or Ishak Belfodil. It’s in these areas – with space ahead of him – that he is at his best. His skillset is varied; he is a very good dribbler for his size. He is much more adept at bringing others into play than the typical target man, and will occupy spaces across the front line. Nagelsmann did on occasion use him off the right, which shows his tactical flexibility. He has good all-round qualities.

A staple of Nagelsmann’s Hoffenheim side was their pressing, and Joelinton was no different to the rest of the squad, expected to engage in collective pressing actions. This is something which Ayoze Pérez did well for Newcastle but failed to gain credit for. €40 million spread over multiple transfer windows is the going rate for a player of Joelinton’s quality and versatility in this market. What seems peculiar is why a player who seems to be on the up, would join a club headed in the opposite direction.

Understandably, there are likely to be many caveats to this deal, one of which being release clauses in the event of relegation or a certain fee being met. Ultimately, it is a very good signing in strange circumstances. Joelinton is not a 20-goal a season target man, but he is versatile and an interesting option to have in any forward line. Technically good, explosive at times and physical enough to cope with the demands of the Premier League. More signings of this calibre required.

2 Different scouting reports for Joelinton when he was at Hoffenheim. Both explicitly saying he'd be no use as a direct replacement for Rondon as he isn't a target man.

8 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

i'm sure somewhere deep in the bowels of the world wide web there's some glowing danish scouting reports on frank pingel.

and rightly so, he had the enviable goal ratio of 1 in 14

Scored a belter in Kenny Wharton’s testimonial match if I remember rightly 

• Like 1

The articles posted by J69 reminds me of john dahl tomasson, someone who we all thought was a dog shit striker until he moved to a club that actually understood where and how to play him. Im not saying he will have as successful a career as JDT but surely Joelinton can’t be this bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

reminds me of when sir bobby wanted the promising young black lad who played for wimbledon - we signed carl court when he really wanted jason euell 

😂 That never happened like