Joelinton

wykikitoon

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It seems to have come into common usage to describe that holding midfield role quite recently. Heard it a lot of late but before that it wouldn’t be used the same way 9/10 for a CF/2nd striker has been for ages 

Our side was known as XD as it was an expected defeat for the opposition. Oh yeah. :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I find it quite interesting the way different countries evolved from the original 2-3-5 line up. So the left back moved over in England and still wears 3 but it was the left half that moved there in Brazil, hence 6 being more traditional 

Have you read inverting the pyramid? It’s explains the change from the old WM formation into new formations. It’s a hard read but if you are interested it’s worth the effort. 

17 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Can't really take that seriously as no one in England  has played with a sweeper in about 25 years but thanks anyway  :good:

15 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's a number 8 then

That's just a handy guide. In reality, I'd say Joelinton is best described as a Mezzala. (I know, I know)

Before you mock, read this description of the role and tell me it doesn't sound like the job he's now doing?

What is a mezzala?

A mezzala is a wide central-midfield player in a trio or diamond, playing outside and ahead of a single, deeper midfielder. This role is usually reserved for a creative, mobile player who is given licence to get forward and support attacks, but still has plenty of defensive responsibility. The term mezzala has come to denote – in English, at least – a modern variant of the box-to-box midfielder.

Wide CM in a 3 ✓

Mobile with license to get forward ✓

Plenty of defensive responsibility ✓

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's just a handy guide. In reality, I'd say Joelinton is best described as a Mezzala. (I know, I know)

Before you mock, read this description of the role and tell me it doesn't sound like the job he's now doing?

Wide CM in a 3 ✓

Mobile with license to get forward ✓

Plenty of defensive responsibility ✓

Or, he's a midfielder :good:

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Or, he's a midfielder :good:

Just like Dyer, Lee, Ginola, Batty, Cabaye? They're all midfielders, right?

And Shearer, Henry, Aguero, Vardy, van Nistelrooy are all strikers, right?

A Range Rover, a Kia Ceed, a Citroen Berlingo and a Bugatti Veyron are all cars.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

A Range Rover, a Kia Ceed, a Citroen Berlingo and a Bugatti Veyron are all cars.

That's all correct Dave. If you need me to explain  the nuances of how they actually play(ed) the game I'll be glad to help, using a number or a foreign phrase tells the average punter fuck all....

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

using a number or a foreign phrase tells the average punter fuck all....

There’s a certain je ne sais quoi about using them though, adds a bit of cachet, non? 

:lol:

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, strawb said:

Have you read inverting the pyramid? It’s explains the change from the old WM formation into new formations. It’s a hard read but if you are interested it’s worth the effort. 

Aye, I’ve read it. I really enjoyed it but I’m dull as fuck tbf. Point of order though, the WM was an innovation in which the inside right and left moved deeper and the centre half moved deeper to play in a back 3. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

That's all correct Dave. If you need me to explain  the nuances of how they actually play(ed) the game I'll be glad to help, using a number or a foreign phrase tells the average punter fuck all....

I'm not going to dumb myself down for someone who, in this age where the sum of all of humankinds' information sits in your pocket, chooses to remain ignorant.

Oh, and you've used a number as shorthand for a position/role before. "He's a classic number 9" e.g.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not going to dumb myself down for someone who, in this age where the sum of all of humankinds' information sits in your pocket, chooses to remain ignorant.

Oh, and you've used a number as shorthand for a position/role before. "He's a classic number 9" e.g.

Are you acting like some sort of know-it-all because you provide stats?

Let's be real here. You have been active on this forum for more than 15 years. Is that correct?

In that time you have been a silent bob and you have attempted to add a knowledge of stats to try and make yourself look relevant.

You have always been someone who doesn't understand the feel of the game. You never will. Not your fault. Better to get spreadsheets out on other topics because you look a fool talking football. 

19 hours ago, The Fish said:

They don't want to learn Dave. We know this now. We've got a forum full of Ron Managers. 

"Goals for. Goals against. Defenders. Midfielders. A goalkeeper. A striker. Jumpers for goalposts. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They don't want to learn Dave. We know this now. We've got a forum full of Ron Managers. 

"Goals for. Goals against. Defenders. Midfielders. A goalkeeper. A striker. Jumpers for goalposts. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous."

Go out and get some fresh air :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Learn fuckin what you pair of jumped up fuckin scrotes?  :lol:

I take no lessons from those so clearly lacking in their own command of both the descriptive power of the  English language and their ability to comprehend the basic tenets and customs of the national game that they have to resort to a  raft of stats to prove moot and irrelevant points and to invent a new fuckin language to describe it  :huff:

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Are you acting like some sort of know-it-all because you provide stats?

Let's be real here. You have been active on this forum for more than 15 years. Is that correct?

In that time you have been a silent bob and you have attempted to add a knowledge of stats to try and make yourself look relevant.

You have always been someone who doesn't understand the feel of the game. You never will. Not your fault. Better to get spreadsheets out on other topics because you look a fool talking football. 

Listen up wino,  I can be accused of many things, being a Silent Bob is not one of them. I have a better understanding of the modern game than some pissed up Cricket Fan from the antipodes. Just because I have the wherewithall to use terms that have come to prominence after your last day of sobriety in 1996, doesn't mean you have any grounds to claim any kind of superiority. It just means my understanding of the game uses a broader vocabulary than yours.

I act like a know it all, because I'm a know it all. With or without stats.

Mind, here's a stat for you, your blood alcohol level is around 47%, 6 days out of 7, which gives you this drastically inflated sense of self confidence.

Now, go dry out.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Learn fuckin what you pair of jumped up fuckin scrotes?  :lol:

I take no lessons from those so clearly lacking in their own command of both the descriptive power of the  English language and their ability to comprehend the basic tenets and customs of the national game that they have to resort to a  raft of stats to prove moot and irrelevant points and to invent a new fuckin language to describe it  :huff:

Learn what? A few words and a reeeeeally simple stat. 

Italian isn't a new language either, for what it's worth. 

;)