Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

How long does ASM keep his spot in the first team under a new gaffer?  Last two games since the kindest cuddliest sole he's ever met has left he's been way off.  I would start Miggy over ASM v Chelsea.

My memory is long enough to remember how we played when he wasn't in the team!

• Like 1

If a manager comes in who likes to press from the front, which I believe both Farve and Fonseca do, then you might be surprised how often ASM finds himself on the bench. Almiron would be the first name on the sheet in the aforementioned scenario. ASM might find himself relegated to only playing against teams in the bottom half of the table, and as an impact sub.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Almiron is canny shite tbh 

If you cast your mind back to when Rafa was playing him in position on the left or as a ten, instead of wide right or in a midfield three, he did give the team something, again in terms of the pressing and carrying the ball, albeit his finishing was awful. He is of course limited, or at least that's what he's shown under Bruce, but if pressing is a big part of how you want your team to play, then he'll be in the team. Those are just the limitations of our squad at the minute.

32 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

If a manager comes in who likes to press from the front, which I believe both Farve and Fonseca do, then you might be surprised how often ASM finds himself on the bench. Almiron would be the first name on the sheet in the aforementioned scenario. ASM might find himself relegated to only playing against teams in the bottom half of the table, and as an impact sub.

It's a few weeks out of date but this shows just how little he presses. 

FAmSn2QXMAQf8Zy.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I won't really mind that tbh, ASM is a massive talent, but the best teams usually rely on quick passing, not one man trying to beat the whole team by himself. He was perfect for Bruce, who doesn't really do team planning anyway, but to get to the next level he'll have to fit into a team system. He would never last long with Rafa for example, with those pressing stats. Or if he turned up to training when he felt like it. 

I'd like to see a stat on how often we concede after he's lost the ball after one of his mazy runs. Obviously he quite often produces something that leads to a goal, but does he contribute more than he makes us vulnerable to counter attack. But look, he along with Wilson are our best players, so we can't be too picky until we start bringing players in.

Edited by Polarboy

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I'd like to see a stat on how often we concede after he's lost the ball after one of his mazy runs. Obviously he quite often produces something that leads to a goal, but does he contribute more than he makes us vulnerable to counter attack. But look, him along with Wilson are our best players, so we can't be too picky until we start bringing players in.

image.thumb.png.aa4440bf6b1dda613f71911ea61c3a77.png

• Like 1

Christ. so he barely presses and is only behind Zaha in losing the ball. That's the problem with players like ASM, It's very difficult to play in a structured way in and out of possession if you have a player who, again doesn't press, and loses the ball constantly. You basically have to build the team around them, and I don't think ASM has shown the consistency in order to make that worthwhile.

There was an article in The Athletic a while back where one of his coaches used to complain that all he was interested in was dribbling with the ball. He's added a few assists and goals since then but it's definitely still 90% of his game. In a better side you might be able to argue that he creates space for others and better players round him would certainly give him more options but at the moment he knows that's it's pretty much only him or Wilson that's going to score.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There was an article in The Athletic a while back where one of his coaches used to complain that all he was interested in was dribbling with the ball. He's added a few assists and goals since then but it's definitely still 90% of his game. In a better side you might be able to argue that he creates space for others and better players round him would certainly give him more options but at the moment he knows that's it's pretty much only him or Wilson that's going to score.

He's actually been better than I thought he would be when we signed him, he's had quite a few assists here, and he can release a great pass when the mood takes him. But I'm not expecting to see him play a return pass in a one-two in my lifetime.