Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

41 minutes ago, The Fish said:

:lol: No he fucking doesn't you big old 'can't understand xG' dumdum.

This season;

ASM has 4 assists and his expected Assists is 5.2, he has 5 goals and his expected Goals is 4.9

Schar has 2 assists and his expected Assists is 0.6, he has 2 goals and his expected Goals is 1.3

What this means is ASM has laid on more good chances than his teammates have finished, and has scored more goals than you'd expect from the chances he's had.

Schar has laid on fuck all chances, but somehow has 2 assists, and he's scored more goals than you'd expect from the chances he's had.

One of Schar's "assists" was when Pope bounced the ball off his unsuspecting head for Wilson to get our first win of the season against Burnley, hardly inspiring creative play. It's rare that I can, in all honestly claim this, but I literally could have done what Schar did for that goal. The other was, fair play, when he brought the ball out of defence for the counter which sent Willock through for our second against Brentford.

Im confused. You're using stats as an argument why your fave player should stay. But when stats point out that a defender has more assists one is fobbed off as not really an assist. You cant have it both ways. 

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Im confused. You're using stats as an argument why your fave player should stay. But when stats point out that a defender has more assists one is fobbed off as not really an assist. You cant have it both ways. 

I'm not fobbing it off man. You claimed Schar has a higher xG than ASM. He doesn't. He also doesn't have a higher xA, or more goals or more assists. So I dunno wtf you're talking about.

29 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Not having his shots being more likely to score than anyone else’s like. If they’re not under hit, they’re fucking flying wide

To be fair it could be an accumulation of shit shots, but he's still doing better in that regard than literally everyone else in the team. 

All xG is showing is that he's having the most opportunities to score in the side (and he's outperforming that).

Edited by The Fish

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

To be fair it could be an accumulation of shit shots, but he's still doing better in that regard than literally everyone else in the team. 

All xG is showing is that he's having the most opportunities to score in the side (and he's outperforming that).

ASM is world class at accumulating shit shots, i'll give you that

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

FWIW, I probably wouldn’t sell him because he does have it in him to completely change a game but I’d absolutely be signing some proper competition to give him a kick up the hole

that's sort of where i am. i'd give him another season to see if he rises to the challenge. there are players i'd get rid of before him, but he's got to start doing the basics soon if he wants to be part of the revolution. i'm not quite where wykiki is but patience is starting to wear thin. i wonder if he has any clue his place in the squad might be at stake - you wouldn't think so from recent performances. 

• Like 2

The issue with us saying there’s players we’d get rid of before him is there’s little to no market for them, whereas maybe there is one for him. If selling him can allow us to buy a better team player I don’t really see why we’d hold on because we’d rather get rid of Ryan Fraser first. Bruno and Trippier are the only players I’d keep going forward, if a good bid comes in for any other player and we have identified an improvement then we should sell. 

There’s going to be more effective, team players hitting the market so I see absolutely no reason to hold onto him because he has a slightly better xG and xA than Fraser (btw both his xG and xA are way worse than I thought - so he’s basically recorded the tally expected of him and it’s his best ever return for us, but still worse than most the league from his position?), players like Sterling, Raphinha, Sarr etc are all going to be available. Maybe some like Sterling are a stretch but you never know I suppose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I'm not expecting him to be excellent defensively but I am asking for some effort. The aim is the same at any PL, you need 11 men to give 100%. If you look at our winning run a short time ago it wasn't because we had more talent than the opposition, it was because we outworked them. How many times did we hear that our opponents had an off day? It was because we made them have an off day.

I don’t know mate his defensive stats look solid enough to me :lol: 

2984921F-FDF9-4B69-BBA2-FFD847E4FEA3.jpeg

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Howay said:

The issue with us saying there’s players we’d get rid of before him is there’s little to no market for them, whereas maybe there is one for him. If selling him can allow us to buy a better team player I don’t really see why we’d hold on because we’d rather get rid of Ryan Fraser first. Bruno and Trippier are the only players I’d keep going forward, if a good bid comes in for any other player and we have identified an improvement then we should sell. 

There’s going to be more effective, team players hitting the market so I see absolutely no reason to hold onto him because he has a slightly better xG and xA than Fraser (btw both his xG and xA are way worse than I thought - so he’s basically recorded the tally expected of him and it’s his best ever return for us, but still worse than most the league from his position?), players like Sterling, Raphinha, Sarr etc are all going to be available. Maybe some like Sterling are a stretch but you never know I suppose. 

We don’t need to sell our better players to raise funds in the short term. We might sell him for £30-40m, more than we’d get for any of the dead wood. But we’re under zero pressure to do so from a FFP perspective because Ashley spent the square root of fuck all. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Not saying we won’t jettison him in the medium term. I think he’ll be off next summer if he puts in another season like this one - perhaps even as early as January. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We don’t need to sell our better players to raise funds in the short term. We might sell him for £30-40m, more than we’d get for any of the dead wood. But we’re under zero pressure to do so from a FFP perspective because Ashley spent the square root of fuck all. 

That’s not what the reporters say though, whether it’s true or not I don’t know but like Gemmill says I’d sell him without a second thought. If we improve our front line we won’t miss him at all imo, I’ve also little to no doubt he wouldn’t accept a sub role (which is fair enough) whereas others would - which is another important consideration in this. 

He's a very frustrating player to watch and some of it comes knowing he could/should be better. He played a beautiful cross onto Wood's head which was a nice change but ten/fifteen seconds earlier he could've played it across the deck which might've been a far better option and a simpler ball. I'm not into XG but I know the times I shout out expletives every time he fucks about and loses the ball for want of either looking up or trying to be world cup superstar. He's got the talent but you also have to factor in opponents sussing him out as well. I'd like to see him develop with the side as for one, he's already here but in the long run the jury's definitely out for me. 

• Like 2

I’ve also took a quick look at the xG and xA per 90 for him, Fraser, and Murphy. There’s nothing between them tbh:

xA:

ASM - 0.17

Murphy - 0.15

Fraser - 0.12

xG:

ASM - 0.16

Murphy - 0.15

Fraser - 0.15 

He also has less passes into the penalty area per 90 mins than both (1.06 compared to 1.34 and 1.26).

While it might be harsh to say he creates fuck all, I think a lot of the praise he gets for these stats is a stretch. He also is more of a liability than the other two in that he loses the ball more and shirks defensive duties. 

I get people hoping he will come good with better around him, but I just feel it’ll be more frustrating. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Howay said:

I’ve also took a quick look at the xG and xA per 90 for him, Fraser, and Murphy. There’s nothing between them tbh:

xA:

ASM - 0.17

Murphy - 0.15

Fraser - 0.12

xG:

ASM - 0.16

Murphy - 0.15

Fraser - 0.15 

He also has less passes into the penalty area per 90 mins than both (1.06 compared to 1.34 and 1.26).

While it might be harsh to say he creates fuck all, I think a lot of the praise he gets for these stats is a stretch. He also is more of a liability than the other two in that he loses the ball more and shirks defensive duties. 

I get people hoping he will come good with better around him, but I just feel it’ll be more frustrating. 

But his xPODCCG* is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

*expected possible one day could come good.

I would just like to add, I think you are all better than you have shown in the last few pages. I know at least some of you to be semi amusing.

Some people think you are work shy fuckers who put no graft in to this forum, some others think you are gifted posters who lack the support required to post good stuff.

There is definitely good posters in here, but support is waning and some ideas need bucked up or the summer transfer window might be a long one.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, strawb said:

I would just like to add, I think you are all better than you have shown in the last few pages. I know at least some of you to be semi amusing.

Some people think you are work shy fuckers who put no graft in to this forum, some others think you are gifted posters who lack the support required to post good stuff.

There is definitely good posters in here, but support is waning and some ideas need bucked up or the summer transfer window might be a long one.

you think this is tedious? Be thankful you weren’t around during the semi-legendary “is viana a defensive midfielder?” debate of  2004 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you think this is tedious? Be thankful you weren’t around during the semi-legendary “is viana a defensive midfielder?” debate of  2004 

I wasn’t around but it still gets referenced enough for me to know the whole fucking story!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, strawb said:

I wasn’t around but it still gets referenced enough for me to know the whole fucking story!

it was around the last time we were any kind of force in the transfer market. If that period was anything to go by things could be about to get a lot duller around here. it could indeed be a long summer 

• Like 1