Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

In a similar spirit;

I don't care if he stays or goes. He's our most creative, most unpredictable, biggest threat, by a mile. He's our least reliable, most frustrating, biggest liability, by a mile.

There are better players out there in his position who we could get with the kind of funds his sale + our wealth allow.

His position is not the priority for this upcoming window and better players in other positions would have a greater impact on our fortunes next season.

I'm of similar thinking and am also comfortable knowing that Eddie will be the best person to judge whether he should be kept or sold.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OTF said:

He's pretty much amongst the absolute best in the world at beating a man with the ball, but he's also one of the laziest defensive players ever. I like him and want him to do well but really there is no excuse for not putting the defensive effort in. If he has aspirations to be world class then that’s the first thing he needs to fix. We can carry a player who runs hot and cold in attack if they're at least doing their part defensively.

Conversely, we can overlook a players defensive frailties if he's doing the business at the other end. Unfortunately ASM doesn't manage that either.

I'd say the only thing he's bringing to the side at the moment is legs. When we're under the cosh, he's usually a decent outlet if we can get it to him as he has the ability to run the ball out of defence... although he invariably runs into trouble in the final third, loses the ball and puts us back under pressure again. :lol: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

Facundo Ferreyra

The prosecution rests.

:lol: Pancrate was another one, I’m still not entirely convinced he was an actual professional footballer. Had no fucking clue who he was when we got him, nor a clue what he did after he left. Scored a thunder bastard once iirc. 

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Pancrate was another one, I’m still not entirely convinced he was an actual professional footballer. Had no fucking clue who he was when we got him, nor a clue what he did after he left. Scored a thunder bastard once iirc. 

• Haha 2

Saint-Maximin’s expected goals (xG) return of 5.35 is the highest in the squad, as is his expected assist (xA) contribution of 3.3. Admittedly, though, he fares less impressively when it comes to per 90 statistics. He ranks fourth-highest for xG per 90 at 0.18 — behind Guimaraes (0.35), Wilson (0.34) and Wood (0.23) — while he is only sixth on the lost for xA per 90 (0.11), with Matt Ritchie (0.17), Ryan Fraser (0.14), Jacob Murphy (0.13), Guimaraes (0.13) and Kieran Trippier (0.12) ahead of him. Still, he also takes Newcastle higher up the pitch, completing more dribbles (4.7 per 90) and making more progressive carries (8.2 per 90) than anyone else.

• Like 1

He will stunt the progress of us as a squad IMO and for that reason, I expect him to leave this summer. I can't see any of the current top 6 coming in for him neither. He'll either head to a mid/lower table PL club or, more likely, head abroad - possibly back to France.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2022 at 08:43, OTF said:

He's pretty much amongst the absolute best in the world at beating a man with the ball, but he's also one of the laziest defensive players ever. I like him and want him to do well but really there is no excuse for not putting the defensive effort in. If he has aspirations to be world class then that’s the first thing he needs to fix. We can carry a player who runs hot and cold in attack if they're at least doing their part defensively.

He hasn't beaten a man in his last 20 games.

2 hours ago, t00nraider2 said:

He hasn't beaten a man in his last 20 games.

"He hasn't beaten a man in his last 20 games and, err, just get on with it, kinda thing"

maxresdefault (6)__01.jpg

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I remember at the time the commentator highlighting it was a named headband (Louis Vuitton) and wondered if there'd be any comeback. More concerned with his image than anything else.

Still think it's too early to judge Maxi, he dragged us out of the mud and was the ray of sunshine before Christmas. He's been out of sorts lately, way off his usual form and I think he needs a better outlet than Wood, who clearly isn't good enough and was a decent waste of money. 

I'd see how he fares next season with hopefully better players who he trusts.