Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

20 hours ago, Diego21 said:

That run was glorious, to Maxi it was like Stones wasn't even there. Walker was no doubt hiding elsewhere, glad that it wasn't him for once.

Just watching the extended highlights of the Wolves game there, for their disallowed goal ASM is sprinting back to defend from their half all the way to our goal pretty much. I really do get the feeling he's trying to be the best player he can be - not just a lazy flair player.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

He is gunning for the French WC squad. He’ll be firing all his barrels to make it 

I know they've got choices but can you think of a more explosive player to bring on in the 60th minute and run tiring defences ragged? They'll be mising out on a trick if they dont take him imo.

• Like 1

No Maxi,  Bruno, Shelvey, Wilson and potentially no Isak tomorrow means we could be starting with Fraser Miggy and Wood leading the line and Joe, Willock and Longstaff in midfield. I'm not filled with confidence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

No Maxi,  Bruno, Shelvey, Wilson and potentially no Isak tomorrow means we could be starting with Fraser Miggy and Wood leading the line and Joe, Willock and Longstaff in midfield. I'm not filled with confidence. 

time to embrace the spirit of Jamie McClen and Clarence Acura 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'd sooner burn matches where Bruno and Wilson are missing on Liverpool Away than Everton Away. Chances are even at full strength we'd get beat at Anfield. 

This is exactly the way to look at it.

I think we’ll give them a game, whether we’re missing half a team or not. We may well end up losing 3 or 4 zip, but this team will always try. Fully expect to see us continue with our aggressive high pressing style based on what we’ve seen so far this season 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

ha. Still remember that game. McClen played out of his skin. 

I always quite liked Acuna. Solid midfielder, face that could silence a banshee, and chipped in with a few goals

FYP :lol:

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Shout out to the mercurial French winger.

ASM gets the Gloom seal of approval for that cameo against Southampton.

Looks like the penny might have finally dropped. I liked how he again played the easy ball when it was on then chose the right moment to go on a dribble.

He’s played his way back in the side for me. We looked SO much better after he came on. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Shout out to the mercurial French winger.

ASM gets the Gloom seal of approval for that cameo against Southampton.

Looks like the penny might have finally dropped. I liked how he again played the easy ball when it was on then chose the right moment to go on a dribble.

He’s played his way back in the side for me. We looked SO much better after he came on. 

Made it clear as day why he should be starting. Did everything right. Set people up, carried the ball upfield and nearly finished off a superb run.

I can understand the concerns about tracking back, but when we are struggling up front like we are, he needs to start.

It was a 25 minute cameo when Southampton knew they had to push on.

You can see he’s trying to change his game but against Leeds (I think) you could see that crossing and picking a pass isn’t his thing.

He’s trying to be fair but I don’t think he’s an Eddie Howe player.

He is always going to have more joy playing for a side against the cosh where opponents are coming forward and leaving spaces rather than playing against  better sides where the other team are sitting deep.

• Like 4

The other thing is sides have cottoned on a bit that lots of stuff was coming down the right with Almiron and Trippier. And having Burn and Joelinton - like it’s been - on the left will never create as much. So starting ASM could open up more room on the right by drawing players to him. But it also gives us a threat down the left. It leaves us a bit more open in theory but you’ve still got the same rock solid back line / gk. And a midfield 3 of Joelinton/Bruno/Longstaff is not going to shirk any defensive responsibilities 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, Alex said:

The other thing is sides have cottoned on a bit that lots of stuff was coming down the right with Almiron and Trippier. And having Burn and Joelinton - like it’s been - on the left will never create as much. So starting ASM could open up more room on the right by drawing players to him. But it also gives us a threat down the left. It leaves us a bit more open in theory but you’ve still got the same rock solid back line / gk. And a midfield 3 of Joelinton/Bruno/Longstaff is not going to shirk any defensive responsibilities 

Willock does a fair bit of defensive work as well, but it's probably time to see whether ASM brings more end product than Joe. I hope and expect that we will push to kill the tie knowing that they can't afford to play too defensively. That said they probably will still try to play on the counter, that's where they looked most dangerous tonight.

• Like 3

Willock does a lot of pressing and defensive work but we not scoring enough goals in games we’re dominating. willock will remain an important player for us but it’s time to mix it up. 

Joelinton will still give Burn plenty of cover from left centre mid and might free Bruno up to get forward more.

Bruno, Isak and ASM looked on each others’ wavelength last night. I’m excited to see them  play together. Isak’s movement was so much better then Wilson’s 

• Like 1

Didn’t really mean it as a criticism of Willock or the way he’s been performing. But he’s the most likely to miss out if ASM were to come in imo. But I’d actually be surprised if we didn’t see the same starting XI for the second leg. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Alex said:

Didn’t really mean it as a criticism of Willock or the way he’s been performing. But he’s the most likely to miss out if ASM were to come in imo. But I’d actually be surprised if we didn’t see the same starting XI for the second leg. 

I don’t see how Wilson stay in tbh. He’s in terrible form. I love him, he’s a class player but something isn’t right. He’s nowhere near his usual energy levels. Lacks his normal pressing intensity, isn’t getting in behind. I don’t know what’s up with him. Howe said he was recovering from a bad virus post-world cup didn’t he? 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t see how Wilson stay in tbh. He’s in terrible form. I love him, he’s a class player but something isn’t right. He’s nowhere near his usual energy levels. Lacks his normal pressing intensity, isn’t getting in behind. I don’t know what’s up with him. Howe said he was recovering from a bad virus post-world cup didn’t he? 

The king is dead, long live the King.