Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Cant wait to have beers with @Howay 10 years from now as we walk towards SJP for Allans testimonial as he retires from the game, a legend at Newcastle, getting ready to take up a coaching role at the academy.  

Pray Star Wars GIF by Reservation Dogs

• Haha 4

I thought he was excellent yesterday tbh. However, I think part of his changing the way he plays is that he seems to have lost that explosive burst of pace he had when he first arrived. It’s the reason you’ll never see him dancing past 3 players and leaving them in his wake like he once could. I do appreciate he’s trying to adapt but he’s never going to be able to consistently do the work Howe wants from his forwards in terms of a high tempo, pressing game. I think that’s why his days are numbered here

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: Howay man, he had a good game and deserves praise, but it was against a full back that can’t defend - the same one he did well against in the final and their manager inexplicably set the same match up - he took the assist well but also lost the ball 3 fucking times in the build up thankfully the rest of our side kept winning it back, as well as he played this week he was equally as fucking tragic the game before, if we want to be at the level we are aiming for you need to be consistent. He’s been the same for four seasons, he will never be a consistent performer and in between good performances he has ones where he’s a complete liability. 

Hopefully we sign Diaby in the summer and can continue to improve our starting 11. 

the point is all the things he’s crap at can be coached. You can’t coach his natural ability - speed, and skill.

if anyone can turn him into the player he could be on a consistent basis, it’s Howe. Whether he’s up for it is up to ASM

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I thought he was excellent yesterday tbh. However, I think part of his changing the way he plays is that he seems to have lost that explosive burst of pace he had when he first arrived. It’s the reason you’ll never see him dancing past 3 players and leaving them in his wake like he once could. I do appreciate he’s trying to adapt but he’s never going to be able to consistently do the work Howe wants from his forwards in terms of a high tempo, pressing game. I think that’s why his days are numbered here

I would agree that he has been playing within himself lately and has been checking back and playing a sideways ball instead of taking on his man - trying to listen to the coaching at the detriment to his natural game.

But yesterday that explosive bust of pace was back. Maybe it was simply a case that he knew he had the beating of his full back, like Howay says, but he was much more like his old self in an attacking sense while also working hard off the ball delivering with the assist. 

Fuck knows if the penny has finally dropped and we start seeing this level of performance on a consistent basis. I suspect not because we seem to have this conversation every month or two on the occasion when he does perform. But I’ll say what I’ve always said about him. He has the tools to be a a world class winger if he wants to be

• Like 2

ASM is gone in the summer.  IMO.  At this stage I won't be shedding any tears over it either.

I thought he was very good yesterday.  BUT.  He goes missing far too much at times.  If they had Wankasacka it could have been a different story.

He doesn't press, he just runs near the player and makes it look like he's pressing.  He doesn't track back.

• Like 1

Just now, wykikitoon said:

ASM is gone in the summer.  IMO.  At this stage I won't be shedding any tears over it either.

I thought he was very good yesterday.  BUT.  He goes missing far too much at times.  If they had Wankasacka it could have been a different story.

He doesn't press, he just runs near the player and makes it look like he's pressing.  He doesn't track back.

Wrong. We’re going to have another decade of ‘has the penny finally dropped’ type posts ;) 

• Haha 6

I suspect he’ll go in the summer too if someone makes us a decent offer. But if that happens it’s a failure for ASM to realise his potential because he’s not likely to be bought by another team that can offer champions league football. And I imagine Howe will be disappointed too. If, as someone else pointed out, he prides himself on improving players then ASM is the ultimate conundrum. 

• Like 2

I think he stays. He had their full back on toast yesterday and set up numerous chances. He can consistently do this against the best full backs in the league. I think he’s moved from being our out ball under Bruce, to a player now that knows he can start a few yards further up the field, and his dribbling is still excellent. His final ball has also improved…

getting him to press better might well be a step too far! 

the shame for me is that he knows he’s a “showreel” player. Look at his instagram for example. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tinofbeans said:

I think he stays. He had their full back on toast yesterday and set up numerous chances. He can consistently do this against the best full backs in the league. I think he’s moved from being our out ball under Bruce, to a player now that knows he can start a few yards further up the field, and his dribbling is still excellent. His final ball has also improved…

the shame for me is that he knows he’s a “showreel” player. Look at his instagram for example. 

Dead psychological you like. I want to lift the turf in your back garden. Don't worry I'm not a grass.

7 hours ago, tinofbeans said:

Showreel and no press is why he's gone. 

He caused havoc on Sunday and his decision making was first class most of the time. Could have had 3 or 4 assists. 

Part of being a big team is having a big squad of good players who offer different skills and having a manager who picks his team not always just on form, but also on the opposition.

Particularly against the better teams and hopefully in the champions league, he would offer that spark of brilliance that no one else can.

Many on the list to exit before we get to him.

13 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

He caused havoc on Sunday and his decision making was first class most of the time. Could have had 3 or 4 assists. 

Part of being a big team is having a big squad of good players who offer different skills and having a manager who picks his team not always just on form, but also on the opposition.

Particularly against the better teams and hopefully in the champions league, he would offer that spark of brilliance that no one else can.

Many on the list to exit before we get to him.

How many can command a fee of £40m to be reinvested? 

So many say 'trust Howe'  Well I do and I trust him when he's left ASM on the bench. He's inconsistent and a total fanny against physical teams.

On Sunday I thought he had a decent game, but did he really cause havoc? More attacks still went down the Murphy side.

• Like 1

According to some dweeb on the TF podcast, Sunday's match was his highest "chances created" since he joined the club.

If that's right then maybe he's doing exactly what Howe wants him to do.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

How many can command a fee of £40m to be reinvested? 

So many say 'trust Howe'  Well I do and I trust him when he's left ASM on the bench. He's inconsistent and a total fanny against physical teams.

On Sunday I thought he had a decent game, but did he really cause havoc? More attacks still went down the Murphy side.

:lol: 

With better finishing from his team mates he could have had 4 or 5 assists. HAVOC!

I trust Howe to and he keeps picking him (when fit).

The thing is CT, he should have been hauled off v Forest before HT he was that bad.  That's not what Howe wants.  He and us as fans want consistent players.

I want to see a similar performance against a wank West Ham tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The thing is CT, he should have been hauled off v Forest before HT he was that bad.  That's not what Howe wants.  He and us as fans want consistent players.

I want to see a similar performance against a wank West Ham tomorrow.

But Howe trusts him enough to keep picking him and Howe says he’s been playing with an injury. You either Trust Howes decision making or not.

There will be games where he’s suitable and others where he’s not.  That’s part and parcel of having a big quality squad going forward.

I just don’t get the hate for him given he has had an injury plagued season and looks as though he’s taking on board Howes coaching with his decision making.

You say you trust howe.  Yet when he was sat on the bench after injury people were calling out Howe for not picking him.  We cant have this 'Trust Howe' patter whilst saying he should be picked over Willock when Willock wasn't scoring.

He isn't a Howe player.  His closing down and work rate is not in line with the rest of the team.  IF we keep ASM and he is to be an integral part of the team, then a LB is EVEN bigger priority as ASM needs someone to overlap with him.

I think the team CAN afford one forward who is not pressing as hard as others IF their attacking play justifies it. It did on Sunday.

Edited by trophyshy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

You say you trust howe.  Yet when he was sat on the bench after injury people were calling out Howe for not picking him.  We cant have this 'Trust Howe' patter whilst saying he should be picked over Willock when Willock wasn't scoring.

He isn't a Howe player.  His closing down and work rate is not in line with the rest of the team.  IF we keep ASM and he is to be an integral part of the team, then a LB is EVEN bigger priority as ASM needs someone to overlap with him.

“Trust Howe”

”He isn’t a Howe player”

Howe keeps picking him :lol: 

I have no problem if Howe wants rid in the summer, I just think he gets so much stick given he’s been plagued with injury and is changing his game to suit the team.

Its never been in doubt that he always seems better when Target was overlapping compared to Burn.

Even the best managers need a bit of luck at times. Bar injuries and suspensions Almiron and Joelinton could well have started on the wings against Man Utd. Obviously they’ve both done very well this season and no one knows what might’ve happened. But sometimes the changes forced upon you work well. Almiron in particular has looked a bit jaded lately. A combination of the way he plays, not having a rest and teams sitting deeper and playing more defensively against us. And getting wise to most of our attacks having previously come down our right, dove to him and Trippier offering more going forward (than Joelinton/Burn). I think we definitely benefited from that on Sunday, ie the forced changes being a massive factor in our performance 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

“Trust Howe”

”He isn’t a Howe player”

Howe keeps picking him :lol: 

I have no problem if Howe wants rid in the summer, I just think he gets so much stick given he’s been plagued with injury and is changing his game to suit the team.

Its never been in doubt that he always seems better when Target was overlapping compared to Burn.

Who would you have had in place over ASM when Joe has been out banned recently?  Anderson came on v Forest and did more in 10 minutes than ASM did in 50+.  Does that mean we should be picking Anderson all games now because he had a decent appearance?  Lets see what ASM does tomorrow, because lets be honest.  He's fuck all consistency about him.