Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

28 minutes ago, Clarko said:

Feel free to provide a quote that states what you're suggesting.

More than likely there isn’t one. Care to suggest a scout at any football club who relies purely on stats though?  Because if that were the case they wouldn’t still exist. You’d have data collectors at every match (eg Opta etc) and those who process that data at clubs, scouts would be irrelevant. No one would go and watch a player, it would all be there on a screen and clubs would make their decisions on recruitment like that….football has changed a lot, you can find a lot of hidden points about a player by measurement. But to get a real feel for the player, his actual observable strengths and weaknesses and how he’d fit into a pattern of play he has to be watched . Comparing the evidence of Rayvin’s own eyes after he’s watched St Maximin’s level of performance post Bruce  leaving v some data collated over a couple of seasons isn’t a comparison worth making because it’s like comparing a fire engine with an apple

Coming on here and picking on people with a list of spurious stats isn’t you being clever, it’s you being a fuckin arsehole, and not a very bright one at that.  Well done. Please stay, I’m not the sharpest tool in the box in these parts but you’re making me feel like Einstein :)

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Clarko said:

Feel free to provide a quote that states what you're suggesting.

Here you go:

Fuck Off

40 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Here you go:

That's what I thought.

59 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

More than likely there isn’t one. Care to suggest a scout at any football club who relies purely on stats though?  Because if that were the case they wouldn’t still exist. You’d have data collectors at every match (eg Opta etc) and those who process that data at clubs, scouts would be irrelevant. No one would go and watch a player, it would all be there on a screen and clubs would make their decisions on recruitment like that….football has changed a lot, you can find a lot of hidden points about a player by measurement. But to get a real feel for the player, his actual observable strengths and weaknesses and how he’d fit into a pattern of play he has to be watched . Comparing the evidence of Rayvin’s own eyes after he’s watched St Maximin’s level of performance post Bruce  leaving v some data collated over a couple of seasons isn’t a comparison worth making because it’s like comparing a fire engine with an apple

Coming on here and picking on people with a list of spurious stats isn’t you being clever, it’s you being a fuckin arsehole, and not a very bright one at that.  Well done. Please stay, I’m not the sharpest tool in the box in these parts but you’re making me feel like Einstein :)

It doesn't appear so, @The Fish failed to provide a quote, you haven't provided one and I don't believe I said any such thing.

Scouts use statistics to inform and reinforce their opinion/judgement, scouts will use statistics as evidence when presenting their opinion/judgement, clubs hire data analysts, clubs are even designing their own programmes to record and analyse statistics in order to identify talent. Again, do some research on the likes of Ian Graham, Dafydd Steele, Tim Waskett, Laurie Shaw and Matthew Benham. Have a quick Google of StatDNA, QlikView and Wyscout. You're not living in reality if you think clubs spend millions of pounds on a player because a scout watched them play and thought 'he's pretty good'... That's not how the world works, you need evidence, you need to be able to explain why, in an objective way, when asked.

You talk about patterns of play... What does that mean? Patterns of play are coachable right? That's what the coaching staff drill in training for the players to then implement on a match day right? If you're talking about a specific style of play, for example a coach that relies on pressuring the opposition when out of possession there are stats to identify players to suit that style, if you want to employ a possession based style there are stats to identify players to suit that style, if you want to employ a counter based style there are stats to identify players to suit that style and so on... Can you give me an example of an objective strength or weakness that cannot be measured?

I have no idea what point you were trying to make when you referred to a 'fire engine' and an 'apple'.

You saying that the stats I provided are 'spurious' doesn't make it true, you saying that I'm not very bright doesn't make it true. Like I said, you need to be able to explain why.

Edited by Clarko

48 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

A good scout should also look for people that will fit in, be part of the team, not be an arsehole, etc. (If only we had scouts on here.) :cuppa:

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Rayvin said:

What I don't get about Clarko in particular, is what his overall view of the club is - so like, we understand that ASM is a great player - something that literally no one disagreed with but nevermind - and we understand that his view is Ashley spent properly on the club and that he would have Shelvey's babies, but is his agenda here simply picking fights with people over specific points, i.e. another contrarian; or is it something else? The only other thing I can imagine is he's anti-takeover and trying to demonstrate to us that Ashley wasn't so bad cos look, he bought ASM and our Lord and Saviour Jonjo Shelvey.

Would be good to just get those cards on the table so that we can at least understand the overall narrative behind the comments. What do you think of where we are as a club, @Clarko

Does he actually rate ASM? I tried reading his last few posts and my eyes just glazed over. The white text on black background didn't help mind. 

I mean, I'm not sure if any of Clarko's comments were things I said, maybe they were though because there are certainly opinions in there close to ones I've held - but I'm gonna point out that absolutely none of those posts indicated that he isn't a great player, which is precisely what I said. They're all talking about how he might not fit the system, how he's in poor form, how his approach to the game might cost us in certain situations.

Ronaldo is a 'great player' in most people's definitions, but the same conversations are happening about him. And as far as I can remember, tend to happen for... all players? So I really don't understand the actual argument from Clarko here particularly, he's just strawmanned the whole forum. It is indeed as Fish says, either he's flawless or he's awful - that's the implication of the argument that's being made. You didn't outright say it, but that's the logical conclusion to the rationale behind this particular argument, since it takes all of the nuanced comments made on here and paints them as dismissive of the player in full.

• Like 3

https://www.chezpluie.com/blogs/news/8-ways-to-create-your-french-garden

TIPS ON HOW TO CREATE YOUR FRENCH GARDEN

This blog hopes to inspire you with ways to add a touch of France to your garden. It reveals concepts behind traditional French landscape design embodied in large estates and beautiful terrace designs that can be applied to more modestly-scaled gardens and balconies. Included is an introduction to the different climatic regions of France followed by eight tips for creating a beautiful, timeless, and elegant French garden!

Topiary driveway French mansion

THE DIFFERENT CLIMATIC REGIONS OF FRANCE

France has a temperate climate but various distinctive zones, including oceanic (west), semi-continental (north and north-east), Mediterranean (lower Rhône valley) and mountain (Alps and Pyrénées). Accompanied by photographs, the following is a short introduction to these different climates and the typical gardens found there including: Normandy (Oceanic), the Loire Valley and Paris (north and north-east), and Provence and the French Riviera (Mediterranean).

COASTAL GARDENS OF NORMANDY

The western and north-western windswept and often rainy region of France has a variety of landscapes including marshlands, dunes, steep cliffs, pine forests, and has given much inspiration to French artists. Rouen is the city of Emma Bovary's bleak home and the famous cathedral that Monet painted in series; while the coastal town of Cabourg is said to be Proust's setting for fictional Balbec; and Cherbourg, although a place of much pluie where an umbrella is necessary year-round is delightful nonetheless in Jacques Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Plants that withstand frosts, harsh winds, and salty air will thrive in the oceanic climate and include rhododendrons, agapanthus, clematis, grasses, sea-hardy flowers, shrubs, lovely old trees, and hundreds of varieties of roses.

Le Jardin Retiré, Bagnoles de l'Orne, Normandy

Such a romantic mix of trees and flowers in the above photo - note the Medici urns and lovely oudoor chair. Apparently wildflowers and sea-hardy flowers bloom all year (even in winter), but cover gracefully and completely the natural landscape in spring. In winter it is possible to grow daisies, dandelion, shepherd's purse, fumitory and white dead nettle. While in early spring appear gorse, wild garlic, snowdrops, and early purple orchid primroses, followed soon after by wood anemones, bluebells, cowslips, pyramid orchids, oxlips, and campion to list only a few. Plants that are native to the area naturally will thrive and look most harmonious in the landscape. These plants also will provide sought-after nourishment to bees, butterflies, and other insects. 

Thatched roof French garden Normandy

To shelter from the forceful sea air, the homes of Normandy often feature thatched roofs, exposed timber frames on their façades, and they are wonderfully cozy with inviting open fireplaces.

Garden under thatched roof Normandy French garden

As the walls are thick, there is plenty of space to accommodate a planter in the window bringing the outdoors in. There are lovely shrub (or herbaceous) borders in the background in the photograph above. Succulents also thrive in the north. 

Blue hydrangeas en masse French garden design

The gardens along this rugged coastline receive plenty of rainfall - lush lawns and huge hydrangeas can thrive in the French gardens of Normandy.

THE LUSH GARDENS OF THE CHÂTEAUX IN THE LOIRE VALLEY

For most of the year, the weather of the Loire valley is moderate and comfortable. The areas to the west are influenced partly by weather from the Atlantic Ocean (more rain and milder temperatures) while the more easterly regions experience a continental climate (hotter and drier summers and colder winters).

entry_d9ba2a31-da59-48e9-bd2b-d2e01a2769

The Loire valley is well known for its abundance of châteaux (there are over 1000) and the ordered gardens that grow within. Symmetrical parterres(ornamental flower beds), avenues of lofty deciduous trees, and meticulously espaliered fruit trees are major characteristics of these grand residential gardens in central France.

French chateau garden

The large landscapes depicted are organized symmetrically and along geometrical lines and consider depth of space and play with perspective. Plants are often grouped by color and arranged to give a layered look: sky meets tree, tree brushes against clipped hedge, hedge groups flowers, which meet hardscaping, such as pathways of riverstone or pebbles. No matter the region, traditional French estate gardens follow principals of design that with a resourceful, inventive mind can be applied to smallers-scale projects. 

French vegetable garden with purple cabbage

One will encounter stone statuary while strolling through traditional gardens in France. In these photographs beautiful stone pots are set amongst various clipped trees and topiary that frame ornamental garden beds blossoming with hydrangeas or potagers (kitchen beds).

Symmetry axis French garden design

PARISIAN STYLE COURTYARDS

The French capital experiences four distinct seasons, often cloudy weather year-round, regular light rainfall sometimes on a daily basis, very cold winters, and fairly mild but short summers.

The historic city of Paris is famed for stunningly beautiful and well-kept gardens like the Tuileries, Luxembourg Gardens, and the Bois de Boulogne. Among these beautiful public green spaces, lie the petite and chic private Parisian courtyards. These intimate spaces welcome herbaceous topiaries in antique planters, decorative plant stands, wrought iron tables, and charming chairs with lovely outdoor pillows all snugly set between ancient stone walls.

Paris balcony pot plants

Small outdoor settings invite a morning coffee or an evening aperitif with friends.

Our collection of outdoor Antique French furnitureincludes small settings well-suited to courtyards. 

ROOFTOP TERRACES – PIED-À-TERRE

A rooftop terrace is a luxury to make green with topiary bushes, trees, planted urns, pot plants, and creeper clad walls. A lush rooftop is a welcome retreat from bustling city life or village streets. Take a look at the photograph below - ooh la la!!

Rooftop garden in Paris at Hermes

Geraniums and lemon-scented pelargoniums will bloom all year round on a sunny terrace. A backdrop of potted citrus or fruit trees and shrubs simply furnished with a bistro table, folding chairs, and an umbrella will help create a secluded getaway with an unmistakable French feel. Wrap up in a cozy blanket and experience all of the seasons on the terrace of your own magic mountain.

Rooftop garden Paris

SUN-DRENCHED PROVENÇALE COUNTRY GARDENS

The Mediterranean climate in south-eastern France is characterized by hot dry summers, lots of sun year-round, usually mild weather with rain in fall and early spring, and cool to cold winters. 

Harscaping French garden design

Plane trees, olive trees, cypress pines, lavender, rose bushes, and climbing plants like wisteria, trumpet vines, and jasmine are found in most Mediterranean gardens. Large planted urns, topiary, clipped hedges, arbors, beautiful garden benches, and stone statuary also are to be found.

Harscaping pea gravel paving French garden

The sectioned areas of a Provençale garden provide singular interest (such as a potager, parterre, water feature, or outdoor dining furniture). Large country gardens in Provence often will have a vast lawn that meets a vineyard, lavender field, prairie, or olive grove. The fringes where the property meets the countryside can be some of the most poetical aspects of the garden.

Butterfly on French lavender

EXOTIC CLIFF-SIDE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENS OF THE FRENCH RIVIERA

Salty coastal Mediterranean gardens are planted with flowering cacti and slender palms as though they were sculptures. They frame the glistening Mediterranean waters and provide spots of shade in the summer months. As winters are mild in this climate temperature-sensitive plants such as citrus need not fear frosts.

Mediterranean garden

The southern regions are famous for beautiful pots traditionally used to store olives and oil. Ancient Biot jars are the most authentic and are found frequently in the coastal gardens of the Côte d'Azur. These distinctive clay jars add an instant Mediterranean touch to any garden.

Antique biot oil jar Mediterranean garden

The beautiful round, smooth form of the Biot jar evokes the olive. These vessels often are found mounted in a prominent position so they can be admired habitually.

French roses with antique Biot jar French garden design

Little garden lamps could be placed nearby to illuminate the jars to enjoy after sunset.

Antique French Biot Jar Mediterranean French garden design

For further ideas we have wonderful collections of both classic antique olive jars and artisan made Biot jars.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT CLIMATIC REGION FOR YOU

Remember to consider the size of your space and its sun exposure and aspect. Your plants will love and reward you by growing healthily and happily if you choose plants suitable to your local climate and soil and pots that can accommodate them. A helpful resource for finding your equivalent weather zone in France can be found here: United States hardiness hardiness zones, which range from one to thirteen (coolest to warmest). 

Below are the comparable climate zones of regions in France:

Zone 8 - Paris, Loire Valley, Normandy and the Atlantic

Zone 9 - Provence, The French Riviera (Côte d'Azur)

DESIGN YOUR GARDEN AROUND FRENCH ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENTS

Architectural elements such as stone walls, bubbling fountains, or a swimming pool often feature in French gardens and are easy to incorporate into landscape design.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I mean, I'm not sure if any of Clarko's comments were things I said, maybe they were though because there are certainly opinions in there close to ones I've held - but I'm gonna point out that absolutely none of those posts indicated that he isn't a great player, which is precisely what I said. They're all talking about how he might not fit the system, how he's in poor form, how his approach to the game might cost us in certain situations.

Ronaldo is a 'great player' in most people's definitions, but the same conversations are happening about him. And as far as I can remember, tend to happen for... all players? So I really don't understand the actual argument from Clarko here particularly, he's just strawmanned the whole forum. It is indeed as Fish says, either he's flawless or he's awful - that's the implication of the argument that's being made. You didn't outright say it, but that's the logical conclusion to the rationale behind this particular argument, since it takes all of the nuanced comments made on here and paints them as dismissive of the player in full.

'They're all talking about how he might not fit the system, how he's in poor form, how his approach to the game might cost us in certain situations.'

Sounds like a great player...

'It is indeed as Fish says, either he's flawless or he's awful - that's the implication of the argument that's being made. You didn't outright say it'

My god...

1 minute ago, Isegrim said:

https://www.chezpluie.com/blogs/news/8-ways-to-create-your-french-garden

TIPS ON HOW TO CREATE YOUR FRENCH GARDEN

This blog hopes to inspire you with ways to add a touch of France to your garden. It reveals concepts behind traditional French landscape design embodied in large estates and beautiful terrace designs that can be applied to more modestly-scaled gardens and balconies. Included is an introduction to the different climatic regions of France followed by eight tips for creating a beautiful, timeless, and elegant French garden!

Topiary driveway French mansion

THE DIFFERENT CLIMATIC REGIONS OF FRANCE

France has a temperate climate but various distinctive zones, including oceanic (west), semi-continental (north and north-east), Mediterranean (lower Rhône valley) and mountain (Alps and Pyrénées). Accompanied by photographs, the following is a short introduction to these different climates and the typical gardens found there including: Normandy (Oceanic), the Loire Valley and Paris (north and north-east), and Provence and the French Riviera (Mediterranean).

COASTAL GARDENS OF NORMANDY

The western and north-western windswept and often rainy region of France has a variety of landscapes including marshlands, dunes, steep cliffs, pine forests, and has given much inspiration to French artists. Rouen is the city of Emma Bovary's bleak home and the famous cathedral that Monet painted in series; while the coastal town of Cabourg is said to be Proust's setting for fictional Balbec; and Cherbourg, although a place of much pluie where an umbrella is necessary year-round is delightful nonetheless in Jacques Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Plants that withstand frosts, harsh winds, and salty air will thrive in the oceanic climate and include rhododendrons, agapanthus, clematis, grasses, sea-hardy flowers, shrubs, lovely old trees, and hundreds of varieties of roses.

Le Jardin Retiré, Bagnoles de l'Orne, Normandy

Such a romantic mix of trees and flowers in the above photo - note the Medici urns and lovely oudoor chair. Apparently wildflowers and sea-hardy flowers bloom all year (even in winter), but cover gracefully and completely the natural landscape in spring. In winter it is possible to grow daisies, dandelion, shepherd's purse, fumitory and white dead nettle. While in early spring appear gorse, wild garlic, snowdrops, and early purple orchid primroses, followed soon after by wood anemones, bluebells, cowslips, pyramid orchids, oxlips, and campion to list only a few. Plants that are native to the area naturally will thrive and look most harmonious in the landscape. These plants also will provide sought-after nourishment to bees, butterflies, and other insects. 

Thatched roof French garden Normandy

To shelter from the forceful sea air, the homes of Normandy often feature thatched roofs, exposed timber frames on their façades, and they are wonderfully cozy with inviting open fireplaces.

Garden under thatched roof Normandy French garden

As the walls are thick, there is plenty of space to accommodate a planter in the window bringing the outdoors in. There are lovely shrub (or herbaceous) borders in the background in the photograph above. Succulents also thrive in the north. 

Blue hydrangeas en masse French garden design

The gardens along this rugged coastline receive plenty of rainfall - lush lawns and huge hydrangeas can thrive in the French gardens of Normandy.

THE LUSH GARDENS OF THE CHÂTEAUX IN THE LOIRE VALLEY

For most of the year, the weather of the Loire valley is moderate and comfortable. The areas to the west are influenced partly by weather from the Atlantic Ocean (more rain and milder temperatures) while the more easterly regions experience a continental climate (hotter and drier summers and colder winters).

entry_d9ba2a31-da59-48e9-bd2b-d2e01a2769

The Loire valley is well known for its abundance of châteaux (there are over 1000) and the ordered gardens that grow within. Symmetrical parterres(ornamental flower beds), avenues of lofty deciduous trees, and meticulously espaliered fruit trees are major characteristics of these grand residential gardens in central France.

French chateau garden

The large landscapes depicted are organized symmetrically and along geometrical lines and consider depth of space and play with perspective. Plants are often grouped by color and arranged to give a layered look: sky meets tree, tree brushes against clipped hedge, hedge groups flowers, which meet hardscaping, such as pathways of riverstone or pebbles. No matter the region, traditional French estate gardens follow principals of design that with a resourceful, inventive mind can be applied to smallers-scale projects. 

French vegetable garden with purple cabbage

One will encounter stone statuary while strolling through traditional gardens in France. In these photographs beautiful stone pots are set amongst various clipped trees and topiary that frame ornamental garden beds blossoming with hydrangeas or potagers (kitchen beds).

Symmetry axis French garden design

PARISIAN STYLE COURTYARDS

The French capital experiences four distinct seasons, often cloudy weather year-round, regular light rainfall sometimes on a daily basis, very cold winters, and fairly mild but short summers.

The historic city of Paris is famed for stunningly beautiful and well-kept gardens like the Tuileries, Luxembourg Gardens, and the Bois de Boulogne. Among these beautiful public green spaces, lie the petite and chic private Parisian courtyards. These intimate spaces welcome herbaceous topiaries in antique planters, decorative plant stands, wrought iron tables, and charming chairs with lovely outdoor pillows all snugly set between ancient stone walls.

Paris balcony pot plants

Small outdoor settings invite a morning coffee or an evening aperitif with friends.

Our collection of outdoor Antique French furnitureincludes small settings well-suited to courtyards. 

ROOFTOP TERRACES – PIED-À-TERRE

A rooftop terrace is a luxury to make green with topiary bushes, trees, planted urns, pot plants, and creeper clad walls. A lush rooftop is a welcome retreat from bustling city life or village streets. Take a look at the photograph below - ooh la la!!

Rooftop garden in Paris at Hermes

Geraniums and lemon-scented pelargoniums will bloom all year round on a sunny terrace. A backdrop of potted citrus or fruit trees and shrubs simply furnished with a bistro table, folding chairs, and an umbrella will help create a secluded getaway with an unmistakable French feel. Wrap up in a cozy blanket and experience all of the seasons on the terrace of your own magic mountain.

Rooftop garden Paris

SUN-DRENCHED PROVENÇALE COUNTRY GARDENS

The Mediterranean climate in south-eastern France is characterized by hot dry summers, lots of sun year-round, usually mild weather with rain in fall and early spring, and cool to cold winters. 

Harscaping French garden design

Plane trees, olive trees, cypress pines, lavender, rose bushes, and climbing plants like wisteria, trumpet vines, and jasmine are found in most Mediterranean gardens. Large planted urns, topiary, clipped hedges, arbors, beautiful garden benches, and stone statuary also are to be found.

Harscaping pea gravel paving French garden

The sectioned areas of a Provençale garden provide singular interest (such as a potager, parterre, water feature, or outdoor dining furniture). Large country gardens in Provence often will have a vast lawn that meets a vineyard, lavender field, prairie, or olive grove. The fringes where the property meets the countryside can be some of the most poetical aspects of the garden.

Butterfly on French lavender

EXOTIC CLIFF-SIDE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENS OF THE FRENCH RIVIERA

Salty coastal Mediterranean gardens are planted with flowering cacti and slender palms as though they were sculptures. They frame the glistening Mediterranean waters and provide spots of shade in the summer months. As winters are mild in this climate temperature-sensitive plants such as citrus need not fear frosts.

Mediterranean garden

The southern regions are famous for beautiful pots traditionally used to store olives and oil. Ancient Biot jars are the most authentic and are found frequently in the coastal gardens of the Côte d'Azur. These distinctive clay jars add an instant Mediterranean touch to any garden.

Antique biot oil jar Mediterranean garden

The beautiful round, smooth form of the Biot jar evokes the olive. These vessels often are found mounted in a prominent position so they can be admired habitually.

French roses with antique Biot jar French garden design

Little garden lamps could be placed nearby to illuminate the jars to enjoy after sunset.

Antique French Biot Jar Mediterranean French garden design

For further ideas we have wonderful collections of both classic antique olive jars and artisan made Biot jars.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT CLIMATIC REGION FOR YOU

Remember to consider the size of your space and its sun exposure and aspect. Your plants will love and reward you by growing healthily and happily if you choose plants suitable to your local climate and soil and pots that can accommodate them. A helpful resource for finding your equivalent weather zone in France can be found here: United States hardiness hardiness zones, which range from one to thirteen (coolest to warmest). 

Below are the comparable climate zones of regions in France:

Zone 8 - Paris, Loire Valley, Normandy and the Atlantic

Zone 9 - Provence, The French Riviera (Côte d'Azur)

DESIGN YOUR GARDEN AROUND FRENCH ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENTS

Architectural elements such as stone walls, bubbling fountains, or a swimming pool often feature in French gardens and are easy to incorporate into landscape design.

When should I deadhead my choufleur? 

3 minutes ago, Clarko said:

'They're all talking about how he might not fit the system, how he's in poor form, how his approach to the game might cost us in certain situations.'

Sounds like a great player...

'It is indeed as Fish says, either he's flawless or he's awful - that's the implication of the argument that's being made. You didn't outright say it'

My god...

:lol:

So it is indeed the inability to handle nuance. My god indeed.

I find him fucking infuriating quite often btw (ASM, not Clarko). There are times when he just needs to play a simple pass and he doesn't even seem to see this as an option. 

He's good but he's got lots that need sorting out. 

Clarko, you are banned from replying to this. I will not engage. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I find him fucking infuriating quite often btw (ASM, not Clarko). There are times when he just needs to play a simple pass and he doesn't even seem to see this as an option. 

He's good but he's got lots that need sorting out. 

Clarko, you are banned from replying to this. I will not engage. 

Needs someone like Souness to sort him out. Worked wonders with Robert.

• Haha 4