Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

54 minutes ago, Clarko said:

That's what I thought.

It doesn't appear so, @The Fish failed to provide a quote, you haven't provided one and I don't believe I said any such thing.

Scouts use statistics to inform and reinforce their opinion/judgement, scouts will use statistics as evidence when presenting their opinion/judgement, clubs hire data analysts, clubs are even designing their own programmes to record and analyse statistics in order to identify talent. Again, do some research on the likes of Ian Graham, Dafydd Steele, Tim Waskett, Laurie Shaw and Matthew Benham. Have a quick Google of StatDNA, QlikView and Wyscout. You're not living in reality if you think clubs spend millions of pounds on a player because a scout watched them play and thought 'he's pretty good'... That's not how the world works, you need evidence, you need to be able to explain why, in an objective way, when asked.

You talk about patterns of play... What does that mean? Patterns of play are coachable right? That's what the coaching staff drill in training for the players to then implement on a match day right? If you're talking about a specific style of play, for example a coach that relies on pressuring the opposition when out of possession there are stats to identify players to suit that style, if you want to employ a possession based style there are stats to identify players to suit that style, if you want to employ a counter based style there are stats to identify players to suit that style and so on... Can you give me an example of an objective strength or weakness that cannot be measured?

I have no idea what point you were trying to make when you referred to a 'fire engine' and an 'apple'.

You saying that the stats I provided are 'spurious' doesn't make it true, you saying that I'm not very bright doesn't make it true. Like I said, you need to be able to explain why.

Think this proves its pointless arguing with a fuckin brick :lol:

Fyi, you agreed with most of my points mate whilst simultaneously claiming that you didnt know what point I was making 

You posted stats, then conpared those stats to people who commented on how ASM had played since Bruce left, that's comparing two utterly different things. You may not have meant that, but its certainly how it came across. 

Hope all this helps :good:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I've concluded this myself from my own chain. The agenda seems to be pointscoring and creating a fuss rather than stimulating discussion.

• Like 2

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Fyi, you agreed with most of my points mate whilst simultaneously claiming that you didnt know what point I was making 

You posted stats, then conpared those stats to people who commented on how ASM had played since Bruce left, that's comparing two utterly different things. You may not have meant that, but its certainly how it came across. 

Hope all this helps :good:

Again, you're just making baseless statements with absolutely no reasoning, evidence or explanation... I never once compared or countered any specific comment with statistics, you are flat out, 100% wrong... Hey maybe don't try and guess how I'm trying to come across and maybe just read what I'm posting and use that...

I don't believe I've agreed with a single one of your points, I have in fact provided a counter argument to every single one of your points and I'm still waiting on an answer as to what objective strengths and weaknesses can't be measured by statistics? I'm still waiting on a counter to my comment regarding statistics being used to find players to suit a certain style/pattern of play? I'm still waiting on a valid explanation as to how/why my statistics were 'spurious'?

3 minutes ago, Clarko said:

Again, you're just making baseless statements with absolutely no reasoning, evidence or explanation... I never once compared or countered any specific comment with statistics, you are flat out, 100% wrong... Hey maybe don't try and guess how I'm trying to come across and maybe just read what I'm posting and use that...

I don't believe I've agreed with a single one of your points, I have in fact provided a counter argument to every single one of your points and I'm still waiting on an answer as to what objective strengths and weaknesses can't be measured by statistics? I'm still waiting on a counter to my comment regarding statistics being used to find players to suit a certain style/pattern of play? I'm still waiting on a valid explanation as to how/why my statistics were 'spurious'?

Here, man - fuck off 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've concluded this myself from my own chain. The agenda seems to be pointscoring and creating a fuss rather than stimulating discussion.

It's hard to have a discussion, when you're faced with, "you didn't say that, but I'm going to pretend you did so I can argue against that instead".

1 minute ago, Clarko said:

Yeah this is the game, deliberately misconstrue to try to wind people up or goad them into going back and checking mountains of posts and coming back  at you. Either that or you're fundamentally incapable of following a discussion....which is one way of getting your kicks I suppose...

2 minutes ago, Clarko said:

It's hard to have a discussion, when you're faced with, "you didn't say that, but I'm going to pretend you did so I can argue against that instead".

You have determined that the quotes you took were equivalent to people saying that ASM wasn't a great player. I explained to you why that demonstrated an inability to handle the nuance of the comments, and even posited that the comments being made there could be made about any player, great or otherwise. You responded to this by doubling down on your position without contending directly with anything I said. Some of those comments even have the nuance explicitly stated ffs.

I am left with no option but to believe that you're either an actual idiot, or you're being deliberately obtuse. Given that you don't come across as someone who is an actual idiot, I've gone for the latter.

• Like 1

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Yeah this is the game, deliberately misconstrue to try to wind people up or goad them into going back and checking mountains of posts and coming back  at you. Either that or you're fundamentally incapable of following a discussion....which is one way of getting your kicks I suppose...

Again, what have I misconstrued? Where did I goad you? Where did I wind you up? Where did I call you 'not very bright'? 

EVERYTHING you say is baseless nonsense.

1 minute ago, Clarko said:

Again, what have I misconstrued? Where did I goad you? Where did I wind you up? Where did I call you 'not very bright'? 

EVERYTHING you say is baseless nonsense.

Chill out  bruv, it's only a message board :lol:

I described the job of a scout,and in reply so did you. Why?

Alright so to clarify the position, ASM is a great player who has some flaws and may not fit into a high press style of play since that seems to require the whole team to contribute to the system and he seems to lack the desire/ability to do that - hopefully we'll still be able to accomodate him though because he brings an awful lot to the team in an attacking sense. He also seemed to be out of form for a few matches after Bruce left but seems to be back on it again based on the Brentford game.

In summary though, he's shite.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rayvin said:

You have determined that the quotes you took were equivalent to people saying that ASM wasn't a great player. I explained to you why that demonstrated an inability to handle the nuance of the comments, and even posited that the comments being made there could be made about any player, great or otherwise. You responded to this by doubling down on your position without contending directly with anything I said. Some of those comments even have the nuance explicitly stated ffs.

I am left with no option but to believe that you're either an actual idiot, or you're being deliberately obtuse. Given that you don't come across as someone who is an actual idiot, I've gone for the latter.

I never said that the quotes were the equivalent to people saying that he wasn't a great player. I stated that the following:

'Some of the drivel on here (from the same people too)... Since he's been here, he's been at worst, the 25th best player in the league based on the WhoScored ratings provided and he did that at arguably the worst performing team in the league.'

Since that initial comment, I've provided quotes from users criticising Allan Saint-Maximin without providing any comment on those quotes (I was using them as evidence of the Saint-Maximin criticism being portrayed on this thread). For the third time now, I've had to state that I have not said what you're accusing me of. I'm explicitly stating that was not the point I made or was trying to make. Why are continuing push something that I never said and something that I don't believe to be true? It's almost like you're trying to point score...

Where did you 'explain' my 'inability to handle the nuance of comments'? Because I can only find the following comments (below) and I don't see much in the way of an explanation, it looks like it's more of the "I said so, so it's true" nonsense:

'So it is indeed the inability to handle nuance. My god indeed.'

'You didn't outright say it, but that's the logical conclusion to the rationale behind this particular argument, since it takes all of the nuanced comments made on here and paints them as dismissive of the player in full'

Your whole argument, is based entirely on how you think I feel about the comments critiquing Saint-Maximin and it's just ridiculous... Even after being told otherwise, you're still pushing that argument...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Chill out  bruv, it's only a message board :lol:

I described the job of a scout,and in reply so did you. Why?

Chill out? I'm not the one throwing insults around... Again you've failed to provide any explanation and you've failed to counter any of my points, I'll assume you can't and that you were uninformed/uneducated on the topic. 

You literally said "that doesn't sound like a great player to me" in one of your replies, in reference to all those quotes, thus directly aligning our points of reference and the basis for everything I said thereafter.

But look, I'm done. You can have it. I once argued for two solid days about the whether the Tories were technically right about an announcement they made about nurses' pay, but I can't keep going with this. And moreover, I think if I do continue it's just going to piss everyone else off.

You win, you're right about everything. I'm not clear on what, exactly, but I'm sure you are.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You literally said "that doesn't sound like a great player to me" in one of your replies, in reference to all those quotes, thus directly aligning our points of reference and the basis for everything I said thereafter.

But look, I'm done. You can have it. I once argued for two solid days about the whether the Tories were technically right about an announcement they made about nurses' pay, but I can't keep going with this. And moreover, I think if I do continue it's just going to piss everyone else off.

You win, you're right about everything. I'm not clear on what, exactly, but I'm sure you are.

I literally didn't say that, I said:

'Sounds like a great player... '

1 hour ago, Clarko said:

We’re all waiting for you to go home 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Clarko said:

I never said that the quotes were the equivalent to people saying that he wasn't a great player. I stated that the following:

'Some of the drivel on here (from the same people too)... Since he's been here, he's been at worst, the 25th best player in the league based on the WhoScored ratings provided and he did that at arguably the worst performing team in the league.'

Since that initial comment, I've provided quotes from users criticising Allan Saint-Maximin without providing any comment on those quotes (I was using them as evidence of the Saint-Maximin criticism being portrayed on this thread). For the third time now, I've had to state that I have not said what you're accusing me of. I'm explicitly stating that was not the point I made or was trying to make. Why are continuing push something that I never said and something that I don't believe to be true? It's almost like you're trying to point score...

Where did you 'explain' my 'inability to handle the nuance of comments'? Because I can only find the following comments (below) and I don't see much in the way of an explanation, it looks like it's more of the "I said so, so it's true" nonsense:

'So it is indeed the inability to handle nuance. My god indeed.'

'You didn't outright say it, but that's the logical conclusion to the rationale behind this particular argument, since it takes all of the nuanced comments made on here and paints them as dismissive of the player in full'

Your whole argument, is based entirely on how you think I feel about the comments critiquing Saint-Maximin and it's just ridiculous... Even after being told otherwise, you're still pushing that argument...

UNSUBSCRIBE

• Haha 4