Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

“Trust Howe”

”He isn’t a Howe player”

Howe keeps picking him :lol: 

I have no problem if Howe wants rid in the summer, I just think he gets so much stick given he’s been plagued with injury and is changing his game to suit the team.

Its never been in doubt that he always seems better when Target was overlapping compared to Burn.

I think he must be doing what Howe wants him to do. I could still see him leaving because the club appear to be very intent on sticking to ffp. So a £60m upgrade means any reasonable offer for him would probably be accepted. Howe will give him some leeway re: consistency though I reckon. The way he plays means he’ll have games where he’s quiet. He needs to show application etc when that happens. Tl:dr there’s no way Howe was going to play him in a match like Sunday (or the cup final) if he didn’t have faith in his ability to deliver 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

According to some dweeb on the TF podcast, Sunday's match was his highest "chances created" since he joined the club.

If that's right then maybe he's doing exactly what Howe wants him to do.

TBF, we’ve only started creating chances this season and he’s been injured for most of it :lol:  Under Bruce, we were lucky if our attackers could tell you the colour of the oppositions keeper top 

• Haha 5

There is no doubt he is passing more.  That was quite enjoyable on Sunday as there was no running into blind alleys, losing the ball then blaming others for it.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened without his injury.  But, its a moot point as we have done alright without him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

TBF, we’ve only started creating chances this season and he’s been injured for most of it :lol:  Under Bruce, we were lucky if our attackers could tell you the colour of the oppositions keeper top 

Not a dig at ASM or his performance but ‘chances created’? That seems like far too subjective a stat to be able to make decent comparisons with previous performances. 

• Like 2

Just now, Alex said:

Not a dig at ASM or his performance but ‘chances created’? That seems like far too subjective a stat to be able to make decent comparisons with previous performances. 

This is where we need Fish.  What defines a chance?  A shot from 25 yeards where it goes in row Z, is that a chance?

Aye, when three of the chances were received outside the box and one looks like it was a three yard pass I'm not sure of the value in such statistics. What we really need is his xA. ;) 

• Haha 3

Just now, wykikitoon said:

This is where we need Fish.  What defines a chance?  A shot from 25 yeards where it goes in row Z, is that a chance?

Well he cut inside, beat a couple of players and had a shot from the edge of the box. De Gea comfortably saved it as he didn’t hit it quite right. But even then you’re probably looking at a wonder strike for it to end up as a goal. But presumably that was a ‘chance created’ looking at that graphic. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well he cut inside, beat a couple of players and had a shot from the edge of the box. De Gea comfortably saved it as he didn’t hit it quite right. But even then you’re probably looking at a wonder strike for it to end up as a goal. But presumably that was a ‘chance created’ looking at that graphic. 

If its the one I remember, then it had an xG value of 0.03

https://understat.com/match/18489

• Like 1

The chance he created for willock should have resulted in a goal. The long staff  one too, I think he set up. That’s a goal if it’s a few inches the other side of the bar 

It is remarkable how much grief ASM gets compared to other players as he compares favourably when you look at his stats. I think it’s because we can all see what kind of player he could be if he found some consistency which makes him so frustrating and divisive. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The chance he created for willock should have resulted in a goal. The long staff  one too, I think he set up. That’s a goal if it’s a few inches the other side of the bar 

Agreed, if it had gone into the goal then it would have been a goal.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It is remarkable how much grief ASM gets compared to other players as he compares favourably when you look at his stats. I think it’s because we can all see what kind of player he could be if he found some consistency which makes him so frustrating and divisive. 

My frustration and pain comes historically from the fact he would go into a blind alley, lose the ball and blame others.  Wouldn't track back and generally sulk like a cunt.

He started the season well, like he was taking on board what Howe wanted him.  He then got this shit injury.  Since then we have done well without him.  He's come back and on Sunday played very well.  

Willock and Longy missed great chances and got grief rightly for it.  But historically they graft and that's why, IMO, they get an easier time.  They're not Teflon from some that ASM seems to be.  Look on Twitter and the people that stand up for him when he's utter dross just because he may go past 3 players and create a possible chance is mad.

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

My frustration and pain comes historically from the fact he would go into a blind alley, lose the ball and blame others.  Wouldn't track back and generally sulk like a cunt.

He started the season well, like he was taking on board what Howe wanted him.  He then got this shit injury.  Since then we have done well without him.  He's come back and on Sunday played very well.  

Willock and Longy missed great chances and got grief rightly for it.  But historically they graft and that's why, IMO, they get an easier time.  They're not Teflon from some that ASM seems to be.  Look on Twitter and the people that stand up for him when he's utter dross just because he may go past 3 players and create a possible chance is mad.

For Willock's goal on Sunday he lost the ball twice in the build up but he also won it back twice. There's definitely been an attitude change for the better. Whether it's enough remains to be seen.

• Like 2

I think we're all forgetting the slide-by tackle that he executed after he'd lost the ball to someone in the second half, which was tremendous.

If you'd got a camera alongside that I'm convinced you'd have got a freeze frame of him turned to the side and doing the finger guns at it.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

For Willock's goal on Sunday he lost the ball twice in the build up but he also won it back twice. There's definitely been an attitude change for the better. Whether it's enough remains to be seen.

Without doubt.  But IMO he's gone.  This may also surprise you, but I think we cash in and spend elsewhere :lol: 

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Without doubt.  But IMO he's gone.  This may also surprise you, but I think we cash in and spend elsewhere :lol: 

Think you’re right but he’s possibly on trial.. at the end of the season it’ll be a cost/benefit analysis….did he do enough or will the FFP factor mean the club can do more with his transfer fee and wages?… 🤔

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah. Like I say it’s not a reflection on his performance but as a stat i don’t think it’s very reliable 

He's one of the players we would probably let go purely based on a good transfer fee until the money starts flowing in, we can't have a squad the size of Chelsea's or forest nor should we really want one, a transfer fee helps a more high priority position and could make the difference between buying three players to two players for example, happy to keep him if the pennies dropped, I think it has, but even then he's a bit erratic. Unfortunately you can't just collect footballers so if we want to buy, we're going to have to sell as well to generate the income and save on wages and it'll be more likely that someone will pay decent money for him than Hayden, Hendrick, Fraser etc.

• Like 3

The "6 chances created" is simply that 6 of his passes lead to a shot. 

His xA was 1.2, which is very, very good. He had Dalot on toast, but also contributed to the defensive side of things. His decision making was much better, but he still drove inside too often, for my liking. I'm convinced he could have gone wide, dragging at least Dalot with him, leaving fewer defenders in their box.

It was a very good display in a game of very good displays. 

He, like Longstaff, are players who will likely be moved on or pushed further down the pecking order if we get Champions League football. But he's an attacking threat in more games than he isn't, and he's adding more to his game with every fixture. No, he'll not be dancing through 4 defenders to score a Ben Arfa, because we don't play that way any more. Even in this game, he had several opportunities where once he'd shoot, but instead he chose the higher value pass. Several of those passes could have resulted in a goal, all of them were more likely to result in a goal than him taking the shot. 

I like him and there are few players in the league that are more likely to get you out of your seat as frequently as he is. I'll love him until long after he leaves, and I'll defend him til he's dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2