UK Housing

Anorthernsoul

Where do we stand on this then? I've read a lot online recently and also the George Clarke campaign sparked my interest, there are plenty of logical solutions to the problem but with a Tory government in charge will we ever see any change?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/01/broken-housing-system-fixed

Edited by Anorthernsoul

But as for the problem at hand, it's the same issue as usual: too much is owned by rich cunts and boomers for anything to ever change. Politicians never do anything to upset older home owners, land owners etc. because they know it's an instant vote loser.

Social housing is one of those long term problems that no government really tries to solve because of the expense and lack of short term gains.

Part of the problem is of course the concentration of people in the London area but again no government seems to want to try and tackle that.

More housing is of course part of the problem but I'd also suggest taxing the fuck out of landlords over a certain level.

Without sounding like a broken record, I think one of the worst things the Blair government did was largely ignore housing as they were happy to ride the feel good wave of price rises. 

I think in terms of long term negative effect on Britain. Thatcher's right to buy was one of her crowning glories. 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Social housing is one of those long term problems that no government really tries to solve because of the expense and lack of short term gains.

Part of the problem is of course the concentration of people in the London area but again no government seems to want to try and tackle that.

More housing is of course part of the problem but I'd also suggest taxing the fuck out of landlords over a certain level.

It's like a lot of things.

Proper cycling infrastructure would add so much.  But with that comes a big cost to start off with.  Setting up standards, commitment etc.  But which government wants that burden?