Other games 2019/2020/2021

TheGingerQuiff

Don't know enough about the Black Lives Matter organisation to say if it is, or isn't a anarcho/Marxist radical group, but surely saying the words "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean you're a card-carrying member of that group. Surely it just means that you believe that black lives matter?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

It’s not that long ago when it was ok to say ‘coloured’ but not black.Didn’t that FA bloke get sacked for saying ‘coloured players’ ’ but if he’d said ‘players of colour’ he wouldn’t have lost his job? Last night Ba was correct to go off it with the official mind.Times have changed .

As I understand it, "people of colour" is preferable to "coloured people" because the former focuses on their (and our) shared humanity (i.e. they are people first and foremost), and the latter focuses on their skin colour.

I do think that some people from older generations have quite understandably missed the memo on some of these things though. I don't think people ever explain these things that well when the change is made, it just "happens".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I didn't tell anybody they couldn't comment on it. I said we weren't best placed to tell somebody who believes he has been the subject of racism that he hasn't. Anymore than as an Uber straight sex god, could I comment to a member of the LGBTQ community what does and doesn't constitute homophobic or transphobic abuse.

I personally think, unless you've lived as a person of colour and experienced the daily implicit and explicit effects of racism, it makes it more difficult to dispute the views of someone that has. Unless you're John Barnes 

Im still happy to debate it though

Semantics really on the first point. But we largely agree anyway 

7 hours ago, Rayvin said:

As I understand it, "people of colour" is preferable to "coloured people" because the former focuses on their (and our) shared humanity (i.e. they are people first and foremost), and the latter focuses on their skin colour.

I do think that some people from older generations have quite understandably missed the memo on some of these things though. I don't think people ever explain these things that well when the change is made, it just "happens".

No wonder peopl get confused 🤔🤔🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 22:31, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I can’t fucking stand the old firm wankers

The ones I know are mostly all fairly reasonable and decent people if you don't mention football. A lot of them can even have rational conversations about their rivals. 

Then on old firm day they all turn into rabid, dangerously unpredictable animals for anywhere from 3 - 72 hours. 

14 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

The ones I know are mostly all fairly reasonable and decent people if you don't mention football. A lot of them can even have rational conversations about their rivals. 

Then on old firm day they all turn into rabid, dangerously unpredictable animals for anywhere from 3 - 72 hours. 

That doesn't really happen down here. Great bunch of lads, Sunderland. :good:

• Haha 3

The green half of Glasgow had the same patter a few years back when Rangers were demoted back to the 4th tier. 

Football rivalries are basically the same all over. 95% banter, 4% just trying to noise your neighbour for entertainment and 1% psychos who missed the memo. It only gets a bit intense and overblown when the stakes are high. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Other games 2019/2020/2021