Bit of London Advice

trooper

The kids are driving to London stopping overnight in Lesta. They're staying in Travelodges the one in London is at Southwark any reasonable priced places to eat around that area pubs cafes etc. Any places they should avoid thanks in advance. Steve aka Trooper

Edited by trooper

In terms of places I've been to, there's a branch of Byron burgers and a Turkish place called Tas just along from there, couple of minutes' walk from the hotel on a street called The Cut.

Doggett's Coat and Badge is a family-friendly pub right on the river on the south end of Blackfriars Bridge, decent pub grub and good views. About 10 minutes' walk from the hotel at kid pace.

Walk a bit further and there's plenty of stuff around Waterloo station and on the river by the Southbank Centre too (including lots of your usual chain restaurants - Giraffe, Strada etc. - if that's more what they're after with the kids).

4 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

In terms of places I've been to, there's a branch of Byron burgers and a Turkish place called Tas just along from there, couple of minutes' walk from the hotel on a street called The Cut.

Doggett's Coat and Badge is a family-friendly pub right on the river on the south end of Blackfriars Bridge, decent pub grub and good views. About 10 minutes' walk from the hotel at kid pace.

Walk a bit further and there's plenty of stuff around Waterloo station and on the river by the Southbank Centre too (including lots of your usual chain restaurants - Giraffe, Strada etc. - if that's more what they're after with the kids).

Cheers Meenz that's very helpful mate 

That's where my knowledge runs out I'm afraid, I only drive very rarely. Reckon you're looking at a fair old price for parking that centrally though. If they don't mind leaving the car somewhere, it might be worth parking on the outskirts of the city somewhere near a Jubilee Line station and getting the Tube the rest of the way.

The other London-based folks on here might know more than me, though :good: 

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

That's where my knowledge runs out I'm afraid, I only drive very rarely. Reckon you're looking at a fair old price for parking that centrally though. If they don't mind leaving the car somewhere, it might be worth parking on the outskirts of the city somewhere near a Jubilee Line station and getting the Tube the rest of the way.

The other London-based folks on here might know more than me, though :good: 

No worries mate honestly you've been very helpful I really appreciate it thankyou 

• Like 1

Nothing is cheap in London but they could check out borough market as they’re staying in the area. Loads of cool street food stalls there. Then there’s all the usual high street places near by if they want to save cash - pizza express, Nando’s, Zizis, wagamama etc. 

There is also Flat Iron Square, which has a bunch of different street food stalls and two bars. Very cool. You can get a really nice casual meal there for under a tenner a head.

Mango is an excellent Indian near borough market. Probably the best in SE1.

Caravans would be my tip in that area. Excellent cocktails and small sharing plates but expect to pay a little more there. 

Cheers Gloomy mate thanks for the information it's all helping. It looks like they've found a car park virtually across the road from where they're staying it's costing £60 for the 2 days. 

The kids are on their way back from London it seems like they've had a brilliant time. They got to see everything they wanted & did the Buckingham  Palace tour yesterday thanks again to Meenz & Gloomy your info was very helpful to the kids cheers Steve aka Trooper