Homeless in the UK

Anorthernsoul

We've lost the chance to do anything about it for another 5 years.

The Tories slashed homelessness support by half, and homelessness doubled. It'll only get worse as we move into Brexit. This is what inequality looks like I suppose, and we're all just going to have to get used to seeing it.

• Sad 1

If we use the Tory way of counting 'rough sleepers' though, its  a lot less.

I.e they drive around, if they dont see anyone, then they're not there.

Callous bastards.

This year me and my wife are giving money to a Homeless charity in Leeds instead of buy presents.  We have also done an advent calendar where we put a couple of quid away each day and then give them the money at the end of advent.  My wifes gone into work and done the same and her company are going to match what she's got.  Between us at Christmas we will be giving them £2k so pretty pleased with that.  Especially on days like today where it's baltic.

• Like 8

Evidence shows that people who experience homelessness for three months or longer cost on average £4,298 per person to NHS services, £2,099 per person for mental health services and £11,991 per person in contact with the criminal justice system.

:(

I’m currently working on 3 schemes for homeless people in Manchester, bedsit type things. Come furnished with all bills and communal wifi paid for. By the government? Nah we have had zero funding for them

• Like 4

1 minute ago, strawb said:

I’m currently working on 3 schemes for homeless people in Manchester, bedsit type things. Come furnished with all bills and communal wifi paid for. By the government? Nah we have had zero funding for them

Is the squat on Oxford Road still there? 

12 hours ago, strawb said:

Who's funding it stawb?

Got any more info on the scheme?  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Edinburgh at the moment. The problem has become horrendous. People sleeping rough and begging everywhere. One bloke went absolutely radge when someone refused to put a coin in his cup. Another person was literally prostate begging on the street. I've only ever seen this in Italy before. 

And then of course there is the contrast with the fact that this is a rich city, with high end shops and bars everywhere. And Scotland is supposed to be a more socially conscious than England. It's so fucked up. And we know which direction we're heading. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I'm in Edinburgh at the moment. The problem has become horrendous. People sleeping rough and begging everywhere. One bloke went absolutely radge when someone refused to put a coin in his cup. Another person was literally prostate begging on the street. I've only ever seen this in Italy before. 

And then of course there is the contrast with the fact that this is a rich city, with high end shops and bars everywhere. And Scotland is supposed to be a more socially conscious than England. It's so fucked up. And we know which direction we're heading. 

It’s fucking horrendous down in London but I’ve been shocked recently at the amount of rough sleepers in Newcastle 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Alex said:

It’s fucking horrendous down in London but I’ve been shocked recently at the amount of rough sleepers in Newcastle 

We’ve got people pitching tents on the streets down here now. It’s starting to look like San Francisco

5 hours ago, Tom said:

No.

They'll tell lies like they usually do or at the very most they'll look after London and pretend its ok.

Nah, the new trick with London is to pin it all on the knife-crime-ignoring leftie Muslim mayor. Just look at any reply to any Sadiq Khan tweet about anything. It's pretty grim. 

• Like 2

Yeh I've seen a lot of that. 

Andy Burnham got the same about train services from Manchester but quote tweeted saying 'I don't look after the trains mate, that's the government'.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

We’ve got people pitching tents on the streets down here now. It’s starting to look like San Francisco

Yeah, I work down London every other week now and you see that quite a lot