Lua Lua's son dead

Jimbo

Poor sod, they even kept the news from him until after the African Cup of Nations.

Shocking stuff.

FOOTBALL star Lomana Tresor LuaLua was last night mourning the death of his 18-month-old son — after the news was kept from him by officials for TWO WEEKS.

The tot died in Britain on January 20 from a mystery illness.

But Congolese chiefs did not tell their captain to avoid distracting him as he played in the African Cup of Nations.

They only broke the news after the Democratic Republic of Congo lost their quarter final to hosts Egypt.

Shocked Portsmouth star LuaLua, 25, flew home from the tournament 24 hours early.

The former Newcastle striker, who was a dad of three, was struck down with a serious bout of malaria last September.

It is thought it was caused by a mosquito bite while he was on international duty.

The player has received numerous death threats after being sent off against Tunisia in the Nations Cup two years ago — effectively costing Congo a chance of getting past the group stage.

This year he threatened a team walkout in a pay row — but fixed a deal.

Feck me thats shocking. Awful thing to happen to him, but Im just as shocked that they didnt even let him know! He should have been flown back over the second they found out.

Awful that like.  Especially not telling the bloke.  I doubt I'd be turning out for my country again if that's the way they go about things.

89680[/snapback]

Exactly my thoughts on this too. Was it LuaLua who faced death threats when he didn't play for his country? Or am I thinking of somebody else? Either way this is a tragedy. RIP.

EDIT: just read the article properly. Should tell his country where to stick their international duty IMO.

Edited by luckyluke

I don't get it though. You would think a wife, relative, or friend might mention it to him? Are they uncontactable while on duty in Africa?

Condolences anyway.  <_<

89692[/snapback]

That was my first thought too...surely family could have got in touch with him?

What a disgusting carry on :D Two weeks...so he probably missed the funeral too? Thats just unbelievable ;)

They put them in training camps where basically they're totally cut off. I'm sure it was either Congo or Nigeria (could be neither, memory like a...erm..thingy..) who were knocked out of the Afican Nations Cup and forced to go to a boot camp for 2 weeks afterwards as punishment.

They put them in training camps where basically they're totally cut off. I'm sure it was either Congo or Nigeria (could be neither, memory like a...erm..thingy..) who were knocked out of the Afican Nations Cup and forced to go to a boot camp for 2 weeks afterwards as punishment.

89811[/snapback]

:D;)

Ok, I went a bit ott, but the point still stands; from the beeb (2000 African Nations Cup);

Ivory Coast dictator General Robert Guei saw fit to punish his players' early exit with three days of hard labour in a military base

I don't get it though. You would think a wife, relative, or friend might mention it to him? Are they uncontactable while on duty in Africa?

Condolences anyway.  ;)

89692[/snapback]

What's the betting they've tried to and the Congolese FA haven't passed on the message..?

Fucking disgrace!