Pub/Food Recommendations

KeenaFan

A few of us are heading down from Edinburgh for the game tomorrow, which will be the first for most of us. Looking for a few suggestions of places to go:

- Pubs: where would be best to head pre-match? We're down early so happy to try some different ones.

- Food: which pubs/restaurants near the ground are good for food, and would we be likely to get a table pre-match? Our train gets in at 10.30, so another option might be late breakfast somewhere and then pubs?

Basically if you were heading to your first game tomorrow on a day out, and were in the city centre from 10.30, where would you choose to go pre-match?!

Cheers

Depends what bars you like? Basically you've got a lot of choice and you can always walk in then straight back out if it's not your thing. I'd try popping in the strawberry right near the ground if you want a match day feel with NUFC memorabilia on show. Also I'd pop into Rosie's near China Town/Gallowgate/Irish centre. Early on try the clock. :good:

Plenty of canny bars just opposite the station too.  I've never been in any of them before or just after the match like but I assume they'd be decent and there's certainly a few that serve canny bait.

The Strawberry and Rosie's are both good shouts for bars round the ground with a bit match day atmosphere.  I'd throw the Trent House into that mix too.

Red Mezze near the ground is canny for grub & I doubt you'd need to book if you're there when they open at 12. Depends how hungry you are which, in turn, depends on how much you've sunk en route and post your arrival in town. :D

Tons of Chinese buffets/restaurants within a stone's throw of the ground on and around Stowell Street f that's easier.

10 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Red Mezze near the ground is canny for grub & I doubt you'd need to book if you're there when they open at 12. Depends how hungry you are which, in turn, depends on how much you've sunk en route and post your arrival in town. :D

Tons of Chinese buffets/restaurants within a stone's throw of the ground on and around Stowell Street f that's easier.

:lol: nee bother with queues in any at the moment I'd wager

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

:lol: nee bother with queues in any at the moment I'd wager

At least for once your main concern won't be whether the pork used to be man's best friend. :D

5 hours ago, KeenaFan said:

A few of us are heading down from Edinburgh for the game tomorrow, which will be the first for most of us. Looking for a few suggestions of places to go:

- Pubs: where would be best to head pre-match? We're down early so happy to try some different ones.

- Food: which pubs/restaurants near the ground are good for food, and would we be likely to get a table pre-match? Our train gets in at 10.30, so another option might be late breakfast somewhere and then pubs?

Basically if you were heading to your first game tomorrow on a day out, and were in the city centre from 10.30, where would you choose to go pre-match?!

Cheers

Most Scottish visitors just turn right out of the Central Station for a few yards then at the Neville street junction opposite the Stephenson memorial statue is a Wetherspoons called Union Rooms.

You'll be able to place road traffic cones on the heads of the same statue on your way back to the station.

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's the kind of detailed insight fans of rival clubs keep coming back for 

It’s on a par with his insight into the club and football in general tbf

The supporters trust bought a pub and renamed it the 'Panama' a few years ago after a recommendation from amongst our fanbase. It's a bit out of the way for you, admittedly, in Boldon, (south of the river), but I hear it does a cracking menu. :good:

• Haha 3