Racism alive and kicking in England, say Uefa

Gemmill

Far too much emphasis on racism where it doesn't exist IMO, which is how Garth Crooks got his job at the BBC, he didn't get it because he's good, he's crap.

89952[/snapback]

He got it because he's bent and black, killed two birds with one stone imo. Looks good on the stats having a bent, black bloke working for you, shows you'll give anyone a chance.

89953[/snapback]

Yes, clearly racism has been eliminated in the U.K. ;)

Far too much emphasis on racism where it doesn't exist IMO, which is how Garth Crooks got his job at the BBC, he didn't get it because he's good, he's crap.

89952[/snapback]

He got it because he's bent and black, killed two birds with one stone imo. Looks good on the stats having a bent, black bloke working for you, shows you'll give anyone a chance.

89953[/snapback]

89954[/snapback]

It's just something else we have copied from the yanks

89952[/snapback]

89953[/snapback]

89954[/snapback]

It's just something else we have copied from the yanks

89955[/snapback]

Not much of an argument, is it?

The reality of racism is a lot subtler and a lot more insidious than most "white" people understand. Given my ethnic background, and the fact that I live in one of the most diverse countries in the world (even if it's not the most diverse part of the country) I have been (mis)taken for:

White/Caucasion

Arab

Mexican

Cuban

Hispanic

Asian

South Asian

Italian

Spanish

I've been assumed to be good at maths.

I've been assumed to be a straight laced, straight A student.

I've been assumed to be tight with my money.

I've been assumed to be irresponsible and tardy.

I've been assumed to be a passionate latin lover with a "latin temper."

I've been assumed to have a small penis.

I've been assumed to have a large penis.

I've been assumed to be a muslim, hindu, orthodox christian, jew and lutheran.

I've been told to go back to at least three different countries which I have never even visited.

Not all of these are negative, but they all are racist.

As someone with indeterminate ethnicity, I'm often assumed to be an immigrant. Since my children won't appear to be 'white' they will too. Depite the fact that they'll be sixth-generation americans, they won't be 'americans' they'll be 'indian-americans' or some such hyphen.

89953[/snapback]

Wacky, so that mean there is hope for you when some company needs to fill their male, slightly suspect, smoothy shit stirring, wasp category??? ;)

I've been assumed to be good at maths.

I've been assumed to be a straight laced, straight A student. 

I've been assumed to be tight with my money. 

I've been assumed to be irresponsible and tardy. 

I've been assumed to be a passionate latin lover with a "latin temper." 

I've been assumed to have a small penis.

I've been assumed to have a large penis. 

I've been assumed to be a muslim, hindu, orthodox christian, jew and lutheran. 

I've been told to go back to at least three different countries which I have never even visited.

Not all of these are negative, but they all are racist. 

As someone with indeterminate ethnicity, I'm often assumed to be an immigrant.  Since my children won't appear to be 'white' they will too.  Depite the fact that they'll be sixth-generation americans, they won't be 'americans' they'll be 'indian-americans' or some such hyphen.

90007[/snapback]

Sorry Zathras but with the exception of the last two "assumptions" they aren't racist remarks, they are stereotypical remarks and maybe, just maybe this is where people need to understand the difference between race and stereotypes.

Bigotry comes in many shapes and sizes but lets not confuse racism and bigotry.

By the way Zathras you know have the 4 women and smooth operator intrigued about the 7th assumed stereotype ;)

89953[/snapback]

Wacky, so that mean there is hope for you when some company needs to fill their male, slightly suspect, smoothy shit stirring, wasp category??? :D

90008[/snapback]

I've just filled that post for someone

;)

I've been going to football for over 20 years now (God, that makes me sound like an old bastard!) and it's improved loads here in that time.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, unfortunately every now and then you do hear something, but whilst in the past it was very vocal, like Monkey Chants (which still happens in places like Spain and Eastern Europe) these days it's very occasional and one person. I'm not excusing that, it's still horrible to hear, but although it's not non existant, it isn't far off.

Racist incidents when England or English teams play abroad do cause anger and disgust in Britain now. Look at what happened when England played in Spain and before that, in Slovakia. The monkey noises directed by the home fans at black players caused a lot of fuss over here. People were genuinely angry about it, and I think that's indication that a lot of progress has been made.

There's still work to be done, and in society in general I think racism has shifted a lot. British Black people tend to be much more integrated into society, and more accepted. Nowadays, I think racism has shifted towards the Muslim Community, and as there aren't a great deal of Arabic/Asian footballers in Britain.......