Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Someone at Mrs.F’s work emailed their top boss today, saying that because our daughter is coming back from Italy, the Mrs. and her work mates should be “quarantined”. 

The Nipper isn’t even due back until tomorrow afternoon. :lol:

This thing is probably going to kill in the hundreds of thousands in the UK alone. Our best chance would probably to delay it until the weather warms, but I suspect we've ran out of time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

This thing is probably going to kill in the hundreds of thousands in the UK alone. Our best chance would probably to delay it until the weather warms, but I suspect we've ran out of time. 

The government are point blank refusing to crash the economy to save lives. It’s not a surprise. One of the surgeries I look after closed today after a suspected outbreak..

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18292603.coronavirus-wareham-surgery-closes-due-unforeseen-circumstances/

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

It’s unlikely to be really affected by warmer weather.

Johnson should be careful about his wishes. It could really decimate the numbers of his dement voters...

2 hours ago, Isegrim said:

It’s unlikely to be really affected by warmer weather.

Johnson should be careful about his wishes. It could really decimate the numbers of his dement voters...

shame it didn't land before the brexit referendum tbh

2 hours ago, Renton said:

are those worst-case scenario numbers? 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

You think? I.e the hundreds of thousands

The decree provides for banning all public events, closing cinemas, theatres, gyms, discos and pubs, funerals, weddings and all sport events, including Serie A matches. All schools and universities will remain close until 3 April

All of Italy will be placed under the lockdown conditions thus far imposed upon the so-called “red zone” in the north of the country, the Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has said.

The restrictions will include banning all public gatherings and preventing all movement other than for work and emergencies.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

are those worst-case scenario numbers? 

100,000 is the base case. For perspective flu kills up to 20,000 annually, the Spanish flu of 1918 killed 200,000 in the UK. That was particularly bad though because the young were disproportionately affected. A proper kick in the nuts after WW1. 

The numbers are tricky because the denominator isn't really known  - people unknowingly with the infection but not tested. I reckon there may already be thousands of these,  so there could be an explosion of cases soon.