Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Can someone explain to me the actual differences between the containment and delay strategies?

As far as I can see it’s telling people to take a week off work if they feel sick. If that doesn’t contain this thing, I don’t know what will.

I say we hit this thing with a major - and I mean major - leafleting campaign. And while the virus is reeling from that we follow up the car boot sale, maybe some street theatre 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Hunt was from a time when the government were vaguely competent and evidence based. What gives you faith in the current lot of charlatans I dont know.

So the CMO said a few things which made sense to you? But apparently contradict the advice of most leading epidemiologists and experts on countries that have actually dealt with SARS successfully and got coronavirus under control  currently? And by sheer coincidence, this do nothing protocol happens to be the easiest and most cost saving in the short term? 

Okay. 

Still haven’t watched it then?

Are you seriously arguing that Jeremy Hunt, who studied politics and economics at university, is better placed to comment on an unprecedented epidemic than the head of the National Institute for Health Research :lol:

A few people on here must have a fever

Arteta just tested positive. Seems a disproportionately  high number of famous people testing positive, from cabinet ministers to Hollywood actors. I wonder why that could be????

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Still haven’t watched it then?

Are you seriously arguing that Jeremy Hunt, who studied politics and economics at university, is better placed to comment on an unprecedented epidemic than the head of the National Institute for Health Research :lol:

A few people on here must have a fever

I saw some of it on the news just now, I'm massively unconvinced personally. You do know the CMO is just one medical person in a highly politicised job, don't you? I'm much more interested in the opinion of actual experts in the field, epidemiologists. Of you want to save lives, you don't do absolutely fuck all, which is what we're doing. Let's see who's right, England and the US , or mainland Europe.  

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Arteta just tested positive. Seems a disproportionately  high number of famous people testing positive, from cabinet ministers to Hollywood actors. I wonder why that could be????

Three reasons. First, they're gregarious and meet a lot of people. Second, they get tested early. And third, the virus is MUCH more widespread than the figures show. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Three reasons. First, they're gregarious and meet a lot of people. Second, they get tested early. And third, the virus is MUCH more widespread than the figures show. 

People aren’t being tested is what I was getting at. I think 10k infected is probably a conservative estimate.

The major supermarkets have introduced purchase limits to combat the Bog Roll Bandits. 
All below are per person limits. 

Asda - 2 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 24 toilet rolls. 

Tesco- 2 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 18 toilet rolls, 2kg dried pasta

Sainsburys- 3 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 12 toilet rolls, 1kg rice or quinoa. 

Lidl - 2 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 1 Trumpet, 1 Diving suit or MIG welder. 

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

People aren’t being tested is what I was getting at. I think 10k infected is probably a conservative estimate.

According to the article you linked to, multiply the official number by about 60 is a better estimate. 

If it is 10,000 though, in 28 days at this rate of increase we'll have 10,000 *1.33 to the power of 28. 30 million cases. You'd think we would actually do something to slow this down.

Also on the news I heard some government "expert" say we needed to let cases happen to get herd immunity. To get herd immunity, 95% of the population need to get it! I mean this is fucking basic stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The major supermarkets have introduced purchase limits to combat the Bog Roll Bandits. 
All below are per person limits. 

Asda - 2 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 24 toilet rolls. 

Tesco- 2 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 18 toilet rolls, 2kg dried pasta

Sainsburys- 3 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 12 toilet rolls, 1kg rice or quinoa. 

Lidl - 2 bottles Hand Sanitizer, 1 Trumpet, 1 Diving suit or MIG welder. 

Hold on, I hope that statement about the quinoa isn't true. :mad:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

I saw some of it on the news just now, I'm massively unconvinced personally. You do know the CMO is just one medical person in a highly politicised job, don't you? I'm much more interested in the opinion of actual experts in the field, epidemiologists. Of you want to save lives, you don't do absolutely fuck all, which is what we're doing. Let's see who's right, England and the US , or mainland Europe.  

Well you can't have it both ways. Jeremy Hunt's job is 10x more politicised. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I reckon. Tom Hanks, Mikel Arteta, Gobert from the NBA, Mitchell from the NBA, Nadine Dories, Rugani at Juventus, the Nottingham Forest owner, one of the Real Madrid basketball players etc. 

If you take the ratio of famous people to non-famous people worldwide, that's a fuck load of people likely to already have the virus. Although let's not forget 99.9% of working age, fit people will be symptom free and back at work within 7 days.  

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Well you can't have it both ways. Jeremy Hunt's job is 10x more politicised. 

Fuck me, my point was EVEN Jeremy Hunt is unconvinced. I wasn't saying he was a credible expert. Professor Aston on TV right now strongly disagrees with CMO. And I'm pretty sure the CMO in the past would disagree with himself now. 

I reckon. Tom Hanks, Mikel Arteta, Gobert from the NBA, Mitchell from the NBA, Nadine Dories, Rugani at Juventus, the Nottingham Forest owner, one of the Real Madrid basketball players etc. 

If you take the ratio of famous people to non-famous people worldwide, that's a fuck load of people likely to already have the virus. Although let's not forget 99.9% of working age, fit people will be symptom free and back at work within 7 days.  

Source for that last statement please? It's not true. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Source for that last statement please? It's not true. 

The live press conference by the government today :lol: Will you just watch it ffs. It is true, most people who catch it won't need treatment. It will pass within 7 days like any other flu. They've told people not to even bother calling 111 unless they are seriously ill. The issue is it's fairly lethal for people who are immuno-compromised.

Renton I didn't have you down as such a fanny

Edited by Kid Dynamite

There you go:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-people-with-confirmed-or-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Symptoms

The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of:

• new continuous cough and/or
  • high temperature

For most people, coronavirus (COVID-19) will be a mild infection

Key messages

• if you have symptoms of coronavirus infection (COVID-19) you do not need to call NHS111 to go into self-isolation. If your symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days contact NHS 111 online. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999.

Will I be tested if I think I have COVID-19

We will not be testing those self-isolating with mild symptoms. The following advice is designed to help people prevent the spread.

Why has the advice on self-isolation changed from 14 days to 7 days

The 14 day period is for those who have had exposure to a confirmed case but have not shown symptoms. The 14 days represents the potential incubation period (the time it takes for symptoms to show if you have been infected).

Most people will no longer be likely to transmit the virus 7 days after the onset of symptoms. You do not need to call NHS111 to go into self-isolation. If your symptoms persist past 7 days you should contact NHS 111 online at 111.nhs.uk. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111.

The live press conference by the government today :lol: Will you just watch it ffs. It is true, most people who catch it won't need treatment. It will pass within 7 days like any other flu. They've told people not to even bother calling 111 unless they are seriously ill. The issue is it's fairly lethal for people who are immuno-compromised.

Renton I didn't have you down as such a fanny

You just said 99.9% get better and can be back at work in a week? Meaning 0.1% are sick for longer than a week? But ffs, yesterday you posted graphs showing the mortality rate for people of working age from this virus is about 0.4%, 4 times the number you claim will be back in work?

Dead people aren't going back to work! :lol:

And btw, the mortality rate seems to be higher for treating clinicians who get exhausted and get exposed to large loads of virions. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There you go:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-people-with-confirmed-or-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Symptoms

The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of:

• new continuous cough and/or
  • high temperature

For most people, coronavirus (COVID-19) will be a mild infection

Key messages

• if you have symptoms of coronavirus infection (COVID-19) you do not need to call NHS111 to go into self-isolation. If your symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days contact NHS 111 online. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999.

Will I be tested if I think I have COVID-19

We will not be testing those self-isolating with mild symptoms. The following advice is designed to help people prevent the spread.

Why has the advice on self-isolation changed from 14 days to 7 days

The 14 day period is for those who have had exposure to a confirmed case but have not shown symptoms. The 14 days represents the potential incubation period (the time it takes for symptoms to show if you have been infected).

Most people will no longer be likely to transmit the virus 7 days after the onset of symptoms. You do not need to call NHS111 to go into self-isolation. If your symptoms persist past 7 days you should contact NHS 111 online at 111.nhs.uk. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111.

You appear to have confused "dial 999" with "99.9% of working people will be back at work in 7 days".

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

You just said 99.9% get better and can be back at work in a week? Meaning 0.1% are sick for longer than a week? But ffs, yesterday you posted graphs showing the mortality rate for people of working age from this virus is about 0.4%, 4 times the number you claim will be back in work?

Dead people aren't going back to work! :lol:

And btw, the mortality rate seems to be higher for treating clinicians who get exhausted and get exposed to large loads of virions. 

99.6% then. And I'd imagine that the 0.4% have underlying health issues. It's still too many, but the reality is the vast majority of working age folk will be ill for a week if they catch it.

I'm not arguing with you anymore Renton. Its clear your rattled by this whole thing. Playing semantics on the internet isn'g going to change that. Might be time to turn the internet off if its getting your anxiety up

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

You appear to have confused "dial 999" with "99.9% of working people will be back at work in 7 days".

Well if you are only self isolating for 7 days, why would you not be returning to work following that?

edit: turns out I am still arguing with you ;)

Edited by Kid Dynamite

99.6% then. And I'd imagine that the 0.4% have underlying health issues. It's still too many, but the reality is the vast majority of working age folk will be ill for a week if they catch it.

I'm not arguing with you anymore Renton. Its clear your rattled by this whole thing. Playing semantics on the internet isn'g going to change that. Might be time to turn the internet off if its getting your anxiety up

No, not 99.6% have a mild self-limiting virus. 80% do. The remaining 20% get seriously ill. Most of those are older, but not all. The young, healthy doctor who discovered the virus died of it.

I'm not concerned particularly for myself, despite being asthmatic. I'm concerned for my 87 year old dad who has COPD and will die if he gets this without access to ICU. Stop trivialising it to be contrary. Stop calling people fannies for challenging your "facts"". Stop being so gullible to be taken in by Johnson. Stop being your usual dick self basically. 

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Well if you are only self isolating for 7 days, why would you not be returning to work following that?

Jesus christ, self isolation is for people who are asymptomatic. People who are symptomatic with covid19 are ill with it. Spot the difference?

Edited by Renton

On 10/03/2020 at 09:04, Kid Dynamite said:

This is why it’s a big deal

Patients in Italy who need ventilators are dying because the hospitals have run out of them. If you have COPD/Asthma or are elderly you have a 1 in 6 chance of dying if you catch the virus. That’s WITH treatment.

Two days later, watches Johnson press conference and declares coronavirus is just like a cold. 7 days off work, max. 

Either supremely naive or supremely contrary, which is it? :lol: