Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

We’ve had a couple of emails Thurs & Fri that have really fucked me off. Basically the huge corporate facilities company we work for are sending the majority of management & admin home if they can do their job there and have asked the mobile engineers to just stick to “essential travel” 

Engineers: “ what is essential travel?” 

MTFM:  “ errr your usual round of reactive & pre planned maintenance” 

Es: “no change then?”

MTFM “errr, no. Make sure you wash your hands though”

Me: “ So the places we look after are similar environments to the ones you’re sending colleagues home from. The level of risk is plainly the same”

MTFM: “.........”

Me “ I’ve got an underlying respiratory health issue. Have you assessed what would happen to me if I was to pick the virus up at work?”

MTFM: “...........”

Am throwing the towel in on Monday. I got a letter from my consultant yesterday with lots of bonkers sounding medical words in it and a fairly scary final paragraph about what’s going to happen if my latest round of drugs don’t work . I’ll send that to the occupational health woman and  see what gives. I’ve got 14 days sick to take before the end of the month. Not enough but they’re not giving even tiniest of fucks about all of us who actually earn the profits that enables them to work in plush offices and get to go home in times like these. Cunts. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

We’ve had a couple of emails Thurs & Fri that have really fucked me off. Basically the huge corporate facilities company we work for are sending the majority of management & admin home if they can do their job there and have asked the mobile engineers to just stick to “essential travel” 

Me: “ So the places we look after are similar environments to the ones you’re sending colleagues home from. The level of risk is plainly the same”

Me “ I’ve got an underlying respiratory health issue. Have you assessed what would happen to me if I was to pick the virus up at work?”

Am throwing the towel in on Monday. I got a letter from my consultant yesterday with lots of bonkers sounding medical words in it and a fairly scary final paragraph about what’s going to happen if my latest round of drugs don’t work . I’ll send that to the occupational health woman and  see what gives. I’ve got 14 days sick to take before the end of the month. Not enough but they’re not giving even tiniest of fucks about all of us who actually earn the profits that enables them to work in plush offices and get to go home in times like these. Cunts. 

Ugh sorry to hear this. I think there's gonna be an awful lot of stuff like this going on as well. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Don't risk anything you don't have to, Rob. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

So you’ve gone from saying that mass gatherings have little effect on the levels of transmission to believing that the government is using mass gatherings in order to transmit the virus?

That’s quite a fucking turnaround for you. :lol: 

And I understand the theory behind herd immunity, the problem is that the government appear to be happy to sacrifice the vulnerable. The big problem I can see here is that they’re not encouraging testing for those with the illness and so don’t have an accurate figure of the number of infected to accurately decide when to ‘turn off the taps’ other than using hospital admission figures. We’re basically being used as guinea pigs in Cummings’ giant science experiment.

Agreed. The evidence isn't going to change in such a short timeframe but information levels will (model inputs). Unfortunately the government has thrown the towel in regarding testing from what I can see, so there is also a huge information deficit. 

Changing policy on the hoof like this doesn't inspire confidence. Also the government seem to be wanting other organisations,  such as the PL, to make hard decisions for them. Again, doesn't give confidence in their leadership. 

32 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I’m looking at a lengthy lay off, the North Sea is shutting down to all but essential crew, they’ve already had two rigs go in to quarantine, and it appears that most onshore work is going a similar way. 
Worrying times ahead. 

The mother of one my eldest daughter’s friends is an epidemiologist and she is convinced that the UK’s strategy is the right one. For what it’s worth, she despises the tories but says that this decision has, for once, been led by experts. She is adamant that there is no way to stop it spreading in the long term (I’m not sure how she squares this away with the massive slowdown in China though).

Other countries are apparently following WHO’s advice, who she and her colleagues disagree with.

I don’t know what to think but, listening to someone, who is genuinely an expert in this matter, has given me a modicum of reassurance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

The mother of one my eldest daughter’s friends is an epidemiologist and she is convinced that the UK’s strategy is the right one. For what it’s worth, she despises the tories but says that this decision has, for once, been led by experts. She is adamant that there is no way to stop it spreading in the long term (I’m not sure how she squares this away with the massive slowdown in China though).

Other countries are apparently following WHO’s advice, who she and her colleagues disagree with.

I don’t know what to think but, listening to someone, who is genuinely an expert in this matter, has given me a modicum of reassurance. 

I think a large part of the problem here is the “Peter and the Wolf” effect. 
The Tory government have openly and brazenly lied to the populace so often and for so long, that nobody trusts them on anything anymore, even if they might be right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Just say you’re sick and self isolate 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

Agreed. The evidence isn't going to change in such a short timeframe but information levels will (model inputs). Unfortunately the government has thrown the towel in regarding testing from what I can see, so there is also a huge information deficit. 

Changing policy on the hoof like this doesn't inspire confidence. Also the government seem to be wanting other organisations,  such as the PL, to make hard decisions for them. Again, doesn't give confidence in their leadership. 

Is classic Tory small government, leave it to the market. All responsible companies, where people can work remotely, have sent their workforce home. At the very least the government can be advising those who are able to start social distancing before the inevitable lockdown 

22 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I understand and agree with aims we have set ourselves, to flatten the curve. And I agree it is here to stay. But what I don't understand is why we have introduced no measures to achieve this, other than advice. I dont think the advice will work in a population where a substantive proportion live a day to day pocket to mouth existence. And so many are demonstrably selfish.

My overwhelming concern is the NHS's capacity is insufficient to cope, which will produce a negative feedback cycle. I hope I'm wrong and the government is right more than ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Is classic Tory small government, leave it to the market. All responsible companies, where people can work remotely, have sent their workforce home. At the very least the government can be advising those who are able to start social distancing before the inevitable lockdown 

Was going to say its no coincidence the two regimes with the slackest approach are the ones that chase the dollar/pound the most. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I think a large part of the problem here is the “Peter and the Wolf” effect. 
The Tory government have openly and brazenly lied to the populace so often and for so long, that nobody trusts them on anything anymore, even if they might be right. 

Absolutely, my immediate reaction was to think that the tories were prioritising the economy over the lives of the populace. The conversation I had this morning made me doubt that.

That said, it still didn’t make me waver from my belief that, to a man/woman, they are self serving cunts. However, Whitty and Valance seem to be highly respected.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

I understand and agree with aims we have set ourselves, to flatten the curve. And I agree it is here to stay. But what I don't understand is why we have introduced no measures to achieve this, other than advice. I dont think the advice will work in a population where a substantive proportion live a day to day pocket to mouth existence. And so many are demonstrably selfish.

My overwhelming concern is the NHS's capacity is insufficient to cope, which will produce a negative feedback cycle. I hope I'm wrong and the government is right more than ever. 

Flattening the curve is the right approach. I don’t see what we are doing to delay so far, other than belatedly banning mass gatherings. What else - telling OAPs not to go on a cruise. If that doesn’t stop it, I don’t know what will. A strongly-worded letter perhaps?

I think the time for talking is over. I say we strike now and strike hard with a major - and I mean major - leafleting campaign. And if that doesn’t work then it’s time for the car boot sale and street theatre. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

So given that the UK government appears to taking the approach of ‘c’mon ye cunt’ to this virus and bring forward the peak compared to other countries does anyone know what they’re actually planning to do to deal with the peak? Are field hospitals being built? Are they ordering extra respiratory equipment to deal with demand? Etc.

38 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So given that the UK government appears to taking the approach of ‘c’mon ye cunt’ to this virus and bring forward the peak compared to other countries does anyone know what they’re actually planning to do to deal with the peak? Are field hospitals being built? Are they ordering extra respiratory equipment to deal with demand? Etc.

Exactly. We need to be considering sports halls, community centres, etc. But I bet we're not. 

This is the best attempt at explaining the strategy I’ve read. The big flaw in the strategy is it’s working on the assumption that herd immunity is possible. It wasn’t with polio, chicken pox and others.