Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'd like to know where this figure of 60% for herd immunity comes from, particularly for such a contagious virus. It was always drummed into me that it was 95% as a minimum for a very infectious disease, but never less than 90%

I mean, I want to trust this government knows what it's doing and isn't taking unnecessary risks. For some reason, I don't. 

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'd like to know where this figure of 60% for herd immunity comes from, particularly for such a contagious virus. It was always drummed into me that it was 95% as a minimum for a very infectious disease, but never less than 90%

I mean, I want to trust this government knows what it's doing and isn't taking unnecessary risks. For some reason, I don't. 

Well they do fabricate every single thing they do so why should a global pandemic change anything?

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Up to over 1,100 cases 

The percentage increase per day is actually increasing. So its exponentially exponential. Difficult to make sense of this without knowing how many people they are testing and who they are mind.

I was listening to the Stephen Nolan program on R5 driving my daughter back from dancing. They had an "expert" on who was beyond clueless. Claimed it was cured in China, that it is much less severe here than in Italy, so nothing to worry about. Yes, fatalities had doubled, but only 10 more cases, so nothing to worry about. Much less than flu. All unchallenged. I didn't listen long enough to establish this cretin's credentials or how he was introduced, but its worrying the BBC provide airtime to people like this. 

• Jaysus... 1

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

The percentage increase per day is actually increasing. So its exponentially exponential. Difficult to make sense of this without knowing how many people they are testing and who they are mind.

I was listening to the Stephen Nolan program on R5 driving my daughter back from dancing. They had an "expert" on who was beyond clueless. Claimed it was cured in China, that it is much less severe here than in Italy, so nothing to worry about. Yes, fatalities had doubled, but only 10 more cases, so nothing to worry about. Much less than flu. All unchallenged. I didn't listen long enough to establish this cretin's credentials or how he was introduced, but its worrying the BBC provide airtime to people like this. 

The BBC have been platforming some absolute chancers for at least four years now so you shouldn't be too surprised by now.

• Like 1

Sainsbury’s was funny as fuck today. I only went in for chickpeas & there was some comic scenes.

I stocked up on store cupboard stuff weeks ago because my mate kept telling me to but Christ he was right :lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ewerk said:

So you’ve gone from saying that mass gatherings have little effect on the levels of transmission to believing that the government is using mass gatherings in order to transmit the virus?

That’s quite a fucking turnaround for you. :lol: 

And I understand the theory behind herd immunity, the problem is that the government appear to be happy to sacrifice the vulnerable. The big problem I can see here is that they’re not encouraging testing for those with the illness and so don’t have an accurate figure of the number of infected to accurately decide when to ‘turn off the taps’ other than using hospital admission figures. We’re basically being used as guinea pigs in Cummings’ giant science experiment.

I haven’t said anything you prat. I told you what the chief medical officer said live on telly, and then I posted a thread off someone on Twitter. 

Give it a rest, it’s getting boring now and this really isn’t the issue to score points off 

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Or they are making it up as they go along. But I'm sure that can't be true of this government., they never u turn do they?

Who cares anyway? 99.9% of us wil get a mild cold and be back at work in a week apparently. 

Same goes for you 

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Chickpeas…

Are you saying we might run out of chickpeas? 

Everyone, Tom said there’s a chickpea shortage!!!

Everyone buy chickpeas, NOW! 

Making hummus fam ;) 

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Same goes for you 

You've literally gone from posting alarmist graphics of this crisis to trusting the government and saying it's no problem. In fact your biggest whinge has been that it will encourage absenteeism in your peers. 

I keep trusting government policy mate. Let's reconvene in a month. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

You've literally gone from posting alarmist graphics of this crisis to trusting the government and saying it's no problem. In fact your biggest whinge has been that it will encourage absenteeism in your peers. 

I keep trusting government policy mate. Let's reconvene in a month. 

It wasn’t alarmist. It was the latest stats 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It wasn’t alarmist. It was the latest stats 

Right, and I didn't disagree with it. But was saying 99.9% of people of working age recover well enough to go back to work the latest stats? That was the bit I found difficulty with. I agree the large majority of us will survive this. But for some, it's going to be a bit more than a week watching Netflix. I've had flu before where I had difficulty breathing. It's a terrifying sensation. I hope you dont experience it. 

Just now, Renton said:

Right, and I didn't disagree with it. But was saying 99.9% of people of working age recover well enough to go back to work the latest stats? That was the bit I found difficulty with. I agree the large majority of us will survive this. But for some, it's going to be a bit more than a week watching Netflix. I've had flu before where I had difficulty breathing. It's a terrifying sensation. I hope you dont experience it. 

You corrected me to 99.6%. You need to let it go ffs

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Blatant profiteering from the upcoming Chickpea Famine. 

You monster. 

I’m of Irish blood, if anyone’s profiting from famine I deserve a slice. 

• Haha 2