Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Just now, Renton said:

Is this for everyone, or only self employed etc?

I believe it's for those who are "struggling financially"  I'm understanding it's for everyone. I hope i'm right

Mr Sunak announced:

• A package of £330bn of loan guarantees to businesses
  • Interest-free business interruption loans will be increased to £5m
  • A 12-month business rates holiday for all shops, pubs, theatres, music venues and restaurants
  • A cash grant of up to £25,000 for those businesses with a rateable value of less than £51,000
  • A three-month mortgage holiday for those in difficulty because of coronavirus

The chancellor promised further measures to "support people's financial security" in the coming days.

And what exactly has changed since Rishi announced his budget six days ago? Fuck all. It just illustrates how the government has completely misunderstood the gravity of the situation.

Oh of course they’re looking it back. The first six months are interest free. Good news on the grants for pubs and restaurants but it’s the staff that are being laid off who should be the main priority here.

Many of the most economically vulnerable here are renters rather than homeowners and I haven’t heard any plan to support them yet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Been doing it since 2004 so I'm hardly going to argue with the principle, but it does rely on actually having places to go, too. If we get to a full-on quarantine situation like in some countries where we're not even allowed to go out for a walk/run by ourselves... well, fuck it, I'll be doing laps of the back yard and uploading the activity to Strava :lol: 

I reckon I’d nail 3 months quarantine like :lol: . I’ve got a pile of books I’ve not had chance to read, a pile of records I haven’t listened to, a conservatory full of arcades I never get to play, as well as the usual Xbox, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

Nissan's in real trouble I see. Looks like it might get sunk by a perfect storm.

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if production at Washington doesn’t recommence 

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

Nissan's in real trouble I see. Looks like it might get sunk by a perfect storm.

Mackems must sick of their lives- League 1club, only employer in the village going down, and no gummy-blows off Granny for the foreseeable future. 
FTM :lol:

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I reckon I’d nail 3 months quarantine like :lol: . I’ve got a pile of books I’ve not had chance to read, a pile of records I haven’t listened to, a conservatory full of arcades I never get to play, as well as the usual Xbox, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc 

Aren’t you likely to get called up to the coalface? 

( I’m not being snarky, btw, just from what’s going on in Italy, it seems it’s all hands on deck in healthcare). 

57 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Mackems must sick of their lives- League 1club, only employer in the village going down, and no gummy-blows off Granny for the foreseeable future. 
FTM :lol:

And then they wake up and realise they are quarantined - in Sunderland. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if production at Washington doesn’t recommence 

Aye,  my thoughts too. Which considering the supply chain, will devastate the NE. 

• Like 2

Email from school. Partial shut down, including my older ones year (the little one is devastated!). I can't wfh and do childcare, so other than the odd nominal task and teleconference, that's me done. Wife's work is only offering unpaid leave so that's not an option.

Not complaining, I know how lucky I am to be able to do this compared to others who will be screwed. We are a small team though and I'm essential and genuinely not replaceable, as is one of my peers who will have the same issues as me (millions will soon). I do wonder if we will be viable as a team if this goes on for months. Worst case is I guess I will be redeployed or made redundant. Either would be okay tbh. Strange times indeed.

It's going to take a long time to recover if this shit goes on for a year or more. 

Maybe it will require a large realignment of society - maybe a green new deal or something along those lines. 

Well 1st night back at graft, office staff who can are working from home, however we're still working but they've binned loads of chairs so we can keep some distance between ourselves when we're having a cuppa. Trouble is now you're fighting to get a seat on your break whilst the little Hitler's are sat in the house on mein kampfy chair. :lol:

• Haha 5