Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think Poundland does basic food items (tins, pastas, etc) and that might not have been cleaned out yet.

time to support the local corner shop, bakery, butcher, greengrocer or whatever is on your doorstep. that's what i've been doing. 

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think Poundland does basic food items (tins, pastas, etc) and that might not have been cleaned out yet.

Aye, pound shops and corner shops are often still coming up with the goods, Aldi/Lidl/Iceland have different types of supply chains to the big supermarkets etc. Trouble is I don't mind shopping around but not when we're being told to avoid all non-essential contact. :lol: 

• Like 1

Right lads I know we've some people in the medical profession here. Would now be the time when we should be going total lockdown to stop this spreading. Obviously there's people out there that have probably got the virus but are showing no symptoms yet. But surely if we're all quarantined it will prevent it spreading further. 

10 minutes ago, trooper said:

Right lads I know we've some people in the medical profession here. Would now be the time when we should be going total lockdown to stop this spreading. Obviously there's people out there that have probably got the virus but are showing no symptoms yet. But surely if we're all quarantined it will prevent it spreading further. 

i'm no medical professional but i think this is what we should have enforced last week 

I emailed my line manager, contracts manager & our planner on Monday afternoon that I was struggling with my breathing and wouldn’t be in yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon the planner sent me my work schedule for today

Contracts manager has this morning sent official company advice that was issued on Friday. All my colleagues saw it on Friday too. There have been no further updates to the company advice since then, not even after Monday’s change in government advice. 

Yesterday morning I emailed the our senior manager with the letter from my consultant detailing my respiratory issues and  asking him, in view of Monday evenings change in government advice, what I should do and where I stand. A brief fob off email from him and then silence. 

Monday afternoon I sent an email to the individual “leading” the company’s Covid 19 response. 10k employees: 9k office admin, help desk  & management, almost all been told to work from home. 1000 engineers earning the profits to pay them; we’re all still required to turn in. This individual admitted in his reply to me that he had no idea how many engineers have underlying health conditions that fall into the vulnerable groups as detailed in Monday’s government advice. Obviously since Monday I’ve heard nothing more. I expect he’s been busy like but still...

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I emailed my line manager, contracts manager & our planner on Monday afternoon that I was struggling with my breathing and wouldn’t be in yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon the planner sent me my work schedule for today

Contracts manager has this morning sent official company advice that was issued on Friday. All my colleagues saw it on Friday too. There have been no further updates to the company advice since then, not even after Monday’s change in government advice. 

Yesterday morning I emailed the our senior manager with the letter from my consultant detailing my respiratory issues and  asking him, in view of Monday evenings change in government advice, what I should do and where I stand. A brief fob off email from him and then silence. 

Monday afternoon I sent an email to the individual “leading” the company’s Covid 19 response. 10k employees: 9k office admin, help desk  & management, almost all been told to work from home. 1000 engineers earning the profits to pay them; we’re all still required to turn in. This individual admitted in his reply to me that he had no idea how many engineers have underlying health conditions that fall into the vulnerable groups as detailed in Monday’s government advice. Obviously since Monday I’ve heard nothing more. I expect he’s been busy like but still...

Fucking hell. Look after yourself mate.

I might be redeployed apparently. I haven't done clinical medicine since I failed as a medical student 25 years ago! :lol: . Could do portering I guess. Thing is, I want to help out but I don't want to put myself or anyone else at risk, and the issue of childcare isn't going away. Can't help thinking if I was female I wouldn't be put under such pressure. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I mean, you’re a massive fanny. 

Sureky that counts? :lol:

And you sir, are a cunt, so you'll be okay. ;)

Really fucked off. Just had it confirmed we are expected to work nights and weekends to make up our work quotas to balance childcare commitments. Or take unpaid leave. This is coming from the NHS, we're all screwed. Except teachers maybe. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

And you sir, are a cunt, so you'll be okay. ;)

Really fucked off. Just had it confirmed we are expected to work nights and weekends to make up our work quotas to balance childcare commitments. Or take unpaid leave. This is coming from the NHS, we're all screwed. Except teachers maybe. 

My lass is a teacher. They were 100 kids down yesterday and 4 members of staff. The kids missing in her class has doubled today and there are more staff off. Only a matter of time, although they were called into a meeting this morning to be told by the head that until they are told at a national level, he will remain open come what may. It's fucking idiotic. 

59 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

My lass is a teacher. They were 100 kids down yesterday and 4 members of staff. The kids missing in her class has doubled today and there are more staff off. Only a matter of time, although they were called into a meeting this morning to be told by the head that until they are told at a national level, he will remain open come what may. It's fucking idiotic. 

At least though when the schools are disbanded she will get paid? Whereas every bugger else who has to do the childcare as a result won't. It's possible to survive a week or 2 without pay but not months. We'll see. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

At least though when the schools are disbanded she will get paid? Whereas every bugger else who has to do the childcare as a result won't. It's possible to survive a week or 2 without pay but not months. We'll see. 

Sorry to inconvenience you. :lol: I forgot that I need to look at everything based on how it will affect you. :razz:

I think we should all ease up on the piss taking of Renton tbh. 
It’s an incredibly stressful time, likely to become even more so, and everyone deals with it in different ways. 

And he’s on his period. :razz:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Tell you what like, keeping the schools open totally makes sense 

Even our local moron -- sorry, I meant mayor -- Bill de Blasio, finally gave in at 5pm on Sunday and closed the schools (after an entire weekend of arm-twisting by the union.) As early as Sunday morning he was still giving it the big one and trying to evoke the 9/11 spirit among us. Fuck off. I remember 9/11 and it was nowt like this. 

Wife and bairns have gone to Pennsylvania, I'm joining them tomorrow. My students aren't actually going to learn anything with this "distance learning" system we've cobbled together, but I shouldn't complain - I've still got a job, can work from home, and am still getting paid. Many are far worse off. Stay healthy all of you. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Sorry to inconvenience you. :lol: I forgot that I need to look at everything based on how it will affect you. :razz:

Honestly though, non-urgentwork needs to be dealt with pragmatically. It'll be there in 3 months time. YOU told me this was going to be a holiday! Yiou didn't mention it was going to be an unpaid one. 

Edited by Renton

I'm currently translating a big financial report that was written before the crisis properly hit Europe, meaning they're going to have to rewrite the whole thing anyway, or at least all of the sections involving forecasts. Non-urgent work has never felt as non-urgent. :lol: 

2 hours ago, trooper said:

Aye, but there’s zero chance of isolating 70mil people unfortunately. Unless they start testing NHS staff we are all just going to keep the virus going anyway. I’ll pick it up at work, bring it home, wife will take it to her work and Daughter to nursery etc. and on and on it goes